Hurley at Honaker

rvtne216

A matchup that could be flying under the radar. With a win, Honaker wins the Black Diamond District for the 12th time in school history and for the first time since 2015. However, if Hurley wins, the Rebels are in the driver's seat for the BDD with a meeting against Twin Valley looming in the final week of the regular season. Austin Cooper has done an impressive job in his first year as the head coach at The Cliff. How do you guys see this one shaking out? Tigers are 3-3, Rebels are 4-2. 

I like Hurleys chances in this one. Defense has been playing lights out, holding Grundy to 6pts and Northwood to 47 yards total offense and the shutout. They been mixing it good with the play calling and seems like nobody knows who’s getting the ball with several different ball carriers. I say Hurley takes it in a close one

7 hours ago, Crabman said:

I like Hurleys chances in this one. Defense has been playing lights out, holding Grundy to 6pts and Northwood to 47 yards total offense and the shutout. They been mixing it good with the play calling and seems like nobody knows who’s getting the ball with several different ball carriers. I say Hurley takes it in a close one

Doesn't everyone hold Northwood to 47 yards total offense! Bragging about that isn't that strong of an argument!

Honaker is currently 10th in Region 1D points.  After this week, they still have two for sure losses to go in their remaining three games (PH and Ridgeview)... and Northwood won't bring any rider points.  If Honaker DOES win, will they be the first team ever to win a district and NOT make the playoffs?

7 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Honaker is currently 10th in Region 1D points.  After this week, they still have two for sure losses to go in their remaining three games (PH and Ridgeview)... and Northwood won't bring any rider points.  If Honaker DOES win, will they be the first team ever to win a district and NOT make the playoffs?

That would be crazy

17 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I don't wish this upon any team...but I would like to see it one day so the whole state would have to fix something lol. 

19 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I want to think the 1989 Hopewell Blue Devils were the Central district co-champs and didn't make the playoffs.  I went back to the four seasons website and they only played 10 games that year.  They upset Thomas Dale in Hopewell that year to give them a share of the title.  I'll try and find more info to verify this, but I'm about 90% certain that how it happened.

What a scenario!

If memory serves me right there has been several times that a team went 9-1 and did not make the playoffs because another team won their own district with a 55 or 6-4 record. The owers to be decided that power points should determine who gets in not a district championship. I do bekeive that Honaker was caught in that trap in the early part of 2000 went 9-1 or 8-2 and was left out because they played a weaker schedule. Worth a look to see if I remeber correctly

1 hour ago, swvafbrespect said:

If memory serves me right there has been several times that a team went 9-1 and did not make the playoffs because another team won their own district with a 55 or 6-4 record. The owers to be decided that power points should determine who gets in not a district championship. I do bekeive that Honaker was caught in that trap in the early part of 2000 went 9-1 or 8-2 and was left out because they played a weaker schedule. Worth a look to see if I remeber correctly

Ah, yes, the “Rye Cove Rule”.  Rye Cove would win the Cumberland with middling records every year and knock one of the powerful BDD/Hogo teams out of the playoffs who were far superior.  

In 2003, Rye Cove won its district with a 5-5 record, and lost every non-district game in the process.  Honaker went 9-1, losing its only game 6-0 AT Haysi, and was left out of the postseason because Honaker didn’t win the BDD.  Haysi did everything short of decapitating Rye Cove in Round 1 of the playoffs.

In 2004, Rye Cove went 8-2 by feasting on a marshmallow-soft OOC, though they were still blown out at home by Haysi and lost at home to Honaker.  George Wythe went 9-1; shut out SEVEN opponents; gave up more than 6 points just twice all season; lost an 8-point game on the road to 9-1 Lebanon, and were left sitting home for the postseason because Lebanon won the Hogo.  Eventual state runner-up, Powell Valley, clocked Rye Cove in Round 1 of the playoffs, yet again.

P.S. That Haysi team that blew out Rye Cove in 2004 also missed the playoffs in 2004 with a 9-1 record, because they lost a road game to Honaker, thereby losing the BDD to a Honaker team that couldn’t beat a 6-4 Tazewell team at home.  

As much as we complain about the way it is, it beats watching the 2003 Honaker, 2004 George Wythe, and 2004 Haysi teams, all of which could have won a state title, sitting at home with 9-1 records.

I feel that district champs should automatically get a playoff birth. That way, every team would know from day 1 if they win their district they get in. If a team fails to win their district, it's their own fault...regardless of how many good teams are in the district. Football used to be different from every other sport in that regular season games could sink you in a hurry. Sometimes there were no second chances. Now days, everyone gets a second chance...and a third chance, and sometimes a fourth chance with the bloated playoff system we have now. Every team should have a defined path from the start, though, and not have to solely rely on a flawed ratings system, imo. Settle it on the field at one point or another for every team...if it's settled by a regular season game for the district title, so be it.

2 hours ago, swvafbrespect said:

Thank you. But the PV RC game was actually a very good game. If i am not mistaken RC led for a good portion before PV scored two TD in the 4th and won like 32-14.

35-6 was the final in that one.  They may have led early on but wore down in the 2nd.  In any regard, Haysi and GW were far better and should have taken Rye Cove’s place.

2D should work like this: 

District champ of SWD and M7 get a BYE, spots 3-6 go to the top 4 teams by the ratings system. Then you have your champs guarenteed in, and the four best out of the other 11 get in. You may have a 4-6 squad get a 6 seed from time to time, but I think that makes way more sense than the 8 team setup we have now.

The 04 Rye Cove team is a sad tale. Had they been classified correctly, I think they would have played in the state finals of 1A. I also think they could have won region Region C in Class 1 Division II that year, their running back was stout. They gave us fits for a large portion of that game and we didn't put it away until a long touchdown reception by Johnathon Keegan. Weird setup in those days, Clintwood went 8-2 and missed the playoffs; it's almost as if back then not enough teams made it and now too many do.

12 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

2D should work like this: 

District champ of SWD and M7 get a BYE, spots 3-6 go to the top 4 teams by the ratings system. Then you have your champs guarenteed in, and the four best out of the other 11 get in. You may have a 4-6 squad get a 6 seed from time to time, but I think that makes way more sense than the 8 team setup we have now.

This is a good suggestion.  Makes too much sense to ever be taken seriously.

22 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

35-6 was the final in that one.  They may have led early on but wore down in the 2nd.  In any regard, Haysi and GW were far better and should have taken Rye Cove’s place.

RC blocked a PV punt late in the third.  They punched that possession in to make it 7-6 with about 2 minutes left in the third.  PV finally hit a big play just before the end of the 3rd to go up 14-6 and stretched it out a little in the 4th as RC had to try and open things up to catch the Vikings.  

That being said, RC should have never been seen as a D2 team.  I think their ADM for that year was listed at 192.  Castlewood had been the largest school in the district since they moved into the Cumberland in 96 if I am not mistaken and dropped below both RC and TW in the 03 reclassification to a great many of peoples surprise in the Cumberland. That was a very solid RC team who drew a bad hand like many Haysi teams had due to the wonky classification system at that time in football.  

On 10/15/2019 at 9:06 AM, swva_havok_fan said:

Well...?  VHSL playoffs are about to get blown to smithereens in three weeks time.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2019 at 2:40 PM, 1inStripes said:

RC blocked a PV punt late in the third.  They punched that possession in to make it 7-6 with about 2 minutes left in the third.  PV finally hit a big play just before the end of the 3rd to go up 14-6 and stretched it out a little in the 4th as RC had to try and open things up to catch the Vikings.  

That being said, RC should have never been seen as a D2 team.  I think their ADM for that year was listed at 192.  Castlewood had been the largest school in the district since they moved into the Cumberland in 96 if I am not mistaken and dropped below both RC and TW in the 03 reclassification to a great many of peoples surprise in the Cumberland. That was a very solid RC team who drew a bad hand like many Haysi teams had due to the wonky classification system at that time in football.  

This popped into my feed yesterday on social media.  Didnt realize it had been uploaded on YouTube.

RC vs PV