Ridgeview @ Battle

Observer

Battle is down for several years to come, Ridgeview coaches have been on its team in the ways it lost the game to Union that the team will go out an execute in a big way. Having a grandson that was a player at Battle before a injury took him out for the year I will not predict a score but I think Adkins wants to redeem himself an gains over 250 yards.

2 hours ago, Grapeape said:

Bristol, VA appears to be the 2nd largest population on the map with a 2A school (Radford #1). Surprised to see Bluefield & Big Stone fielding perennial powers with less than 1/3 of the population. 

Just my opinion..People in the areas of BS & APP believe in tradition..And what Travis Turner has brought to the new HS of UNION!!

I can honestly say that's way my son there.

2 hours ago, Grapeape said:

Bristol, VA appears to be the 2nd largest population on the map with a 2A school (Radford #1). Surprised to see Bluefield & Big Stone fielding perennial powers with less than 1/3 of the population. 

Bluefield & Big Stone also have kids attending that are not in their town limits. VA High & Radford do not get to do that so that comparison doesn’t really work 

4 hours ago, Grapeape said:

Also........ Radford has the population of 17k misleading. Subtract 9 K that Radford U has of which none, or nearly none are eligible for High School Football and you get 8K. Same with Blacksburg. I think it lists at 42 K. If truly 42K, you would have more than one High School. A huge chunk almost 30k of that 42 is Va Tech.

With a town of roughly 6k in population, Bluefield, VA is actually not much smaller than Radford in population if you don't count the students of Radford U, and like a poster mentioned, if you add the County areas adjacent to Bluefield, VA, that go to Graham such as Falls Mills and Springville which adds more to that number for Bluefield, VA, than the population to choose from is similar for Radford, Graham, and VA High. Also, doesn't the city of Bristol have a bunch that goes to JSB in the county, etc.

1 hour ago, EH31 said:

Bluefield & Big Stone also have kids attending that are not in their town limits. VA High & Radford do not get to do that so that comparison doesn’t really work 

But the area that sends kids to Union is still significantly lower than Radford or Bristol/Abingdon.  BSG is listed at 5,263. I'd say Radford, excluding commuting students, it's probably around 10K and prob same for Bristol, VA. 

29 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

But the area that sends kids to Union is still significantly lower than Radford or Bristol/Abingdon.  BSG is listed at 5,263. I'd say Radford, excluding commuting students, it's probably around 10K and prob same for Bristol, VA. 

BSG + Appalachia + the surrounding areas is what I was getting at. I know it’s tough knowing how much it is exactly but that was the point I was making 

41 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Not much difference at all than Radford. I read BSG listed as 5600 on wiki and Appy with 1700. I assume there are still areas in the county, although not big, but places like Andover, East Stone, Exeter that go to Union. If you figure this population in the county around BSG and Appy, say it's 400 total. That's roughly 7300. 

Radford is an Independent City. With a population of 17 K and Radford U being 9.2 K, that leaves 7800-8000ish.  Not a huge difference than Union. That 700 or so population difference turns out probably to be about 80-100 or so more kids at Radford than Union. Si there is a difference, but not huge.

As for VA High, I can't figure out how that one works. With a city population of 17K, a bunch of them split and go to the county, John Battle?  Does Washing to County have many people outside of Abingdon and Bristol, or is JSB getting most of it's students from Bristol City? It seems like VH should be able to field 3A or 4A student numbers with the Bristol population. I've never understood that one. But....Radford, like Blacksburg, easy to explain as their are Huge Universities there, so their listed populations aren't really the Populations related to High School. And yes, Blacksburg and Radford VA do count the University populations in their town/city population numbers.

JSB gets its students from the farming community an just outside the city limits, in 1974 city of Bristol annexed into Washington county an took (I think I am right) 1200 kids, a lot of the kids travel 40 min. to get to school so its hard for parents to get the kids to practice. Battle for some reason has never been a football town  as they were more into baseball. Some of the kids that are the size of good line men wont play because they dont get to carry the ball so I am told. Lot of good kids there so I do hate for them to get beat up year after year, also I think coaches come in with a "come hell or high water" attitude to run this or that defence or offence instead what can we do to make this team able to play with other teams. 

Thanks for clarifying that on Battle. That makes sense, but with the city of Bristol, VA, being 17kish, it makes it more complicated for me to understand VA High. 17 thousand is a LOT. I find it nearly dam$ impossible to have 17K and only enough numbers to field a 2A school. I mean, where the he$$ do the kids go? There's no way you can have a population of 17K and only have ...say approximately 650 students? 

If the city is Independent and there isn't a huge private High School there and no universities as King U sets in TN, and the kids in the county and outside of Bristol go to Battle, then what is the deal? It looks like VA High really does have a population of 17 K to feed from. I get it, they don't get county kids and only Bristol City,  but Even a school like Union, Tazewell, or Graham pulling their own town and county kids, that total population to feed from isn't close to 17 K. It's not even half of it.  So again, never could I figure out Bristol, Va, and VA High being that small in numbers. Still haven't understood it. Is it the oldest town in the USA? Weird.

47 minutes ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Not much difference at all than Radford. I read BSG listed as 5600 on wiki and Appy with 1700. I assume there are still areas in the county, although not big, but places like Andover, East Stone, Exeter that go to Union. If you figure this population in the county around BSG and Appy, say it's 400 total. That's roughly 7300. 

Radford is an Independent City. With a population of 17 K and Radford U being 9.2 K, that leaves 7800-8000ish.  Not a huge difference than Union. That 700 or so population difference turns out probably to be about 80-100 or so more kids at Radford than Union. Si there is a difference, but not huge.

As for VA High, I can't figure out how that one works. With a city population of 17K, a bunch of them split and go to the county, John Battle?  Does Washing to County have many people outside of Abingdon and Bristol, or is JSB getting most of it's students from Bristol City? It seems like VH should be able to field 3A or 4A student numbers with the Bristol population. I've never understood that one. But....Radford, like Blacksburg, easy to explain as their are Huge Universities there, so their listed populations aren't really the Populations related to High School. And yes, Blacksburg and Radford VA do count the University populations in their town/city population numbers.

Gotta give you credit pal. You know your Appy and surrounding coal camp geography. Impressive. Mentioned Andover and Exeter. Wow. 

3 minutes ago, Ol Dawg said:

Gotta give you credit pal. You know your Appy and surrounding coal camp geography. Impressive. Mentioned Andover and Exeter. Wow. 

Railroad to be specific, old Andover yard many years ago a few times on derailments.

29 minutes ago, Ol Dawg said:

Gotcha. Gotta love those old camps. Sad to see them fall into disparity.  

Dude, since you are an Appy guy, a true story for you that makes this a small world.  I would stay with a local guy and his wife when I would go down that way for derailments which was about 5 times. He was older than me, but was kind of the local railroad host, him and his wife when I would go to Andover and that area in the early 90s for derailments. His son played on two Appy state title teams I think in 91 and 93 or 92 and 94ish, and he started on the line for three seasons. I lost contact with this local dude by 1995. We just fell out of touch as I left the railroad.

Fast forward to 2018 and I get a condo at the beach. I'm moving my stuff in and the wife and I are getting it ready for renting and a guy offers us help moving some stuff in and boom, it's him. He lives next door.  He and his wife had lived at the beach for 19 years. I hadn't seen him in nearly 25 years and out of the blue, there he is.

My wife and I just went to the beach this past Saturday and returned yesterday. The first thing he asked me this time was, "what happened to them G-Men." I knew he would go there, but oh well, a good dude. He's a lot older now, and a die-hard Union guy that follows them closely.

8 minutes ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Dude, since you are an Appy guy, a true story for you that makes this a small world.  I would stay with a local guy and his wife when I would go down that way for derailments which was about 5 times. He was older than me, but was kind of the local railroad host, him and his wife when I would go to Andover and that area in the early 90s for derailments. His son played on two Appy state title teams I think in 91 and 93 or 92 and 94ish, and he started on the line for three seasons. I lost contact with this local dude by 1995. We just fell out of touch as I left the railroad.

Fast forward to 2018 and I get a condo at the beach. I'm moving my stuff in and the wife and I are getting it ready for renting and a guy offers us help moving some stuff in and boom, it's him. He lives next door.  He and his wife had lived at the beach for 19 years. I hadn't seen him in nearly 25 years and out of the blue, there he is.

My wife and I just went to the beach this past Saturday and returned yesterday. The first thing he asked me this time was, "what happened to them G-Men." I knew he would go there, but oh well, a good dude. He's a lot older now, and a die-hard Union guy that follows them closely.

That’s crazy haha. Small world indeed. I would have played with his son in 92. But the odds of running into him at the beach like that is insane!  

Thanks for sharing. I’m a nerd when it comes to these small towns. Love hearing stories like this. 

57 minutes ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Thanks for clarifying that on Battle. That makes sense, but with the city of Bristol, VA, being 17kish, it makes it more complicated for me to understand VA High. 17 thousand is a LOT. I find it nearly dam$ impossible to have 17K and only enough numbers to field a 2A school. I mean, where the he$$ do the kids go? There's no way you can have a population of 17K and only have ...say approximately 650 students? 

If the city is Independent and there isn't a huge private High School there and no universities as King U sets in TN, and the kids in the county and outside of Bristol go to Battle, then what is the deal? It looks like VA High really does have a population of 17 K to feed from. I get it, they don't get county kids and only Bristol City,  but Even a school like Union, Tazewell, or Graham pulling their own town and county kids, that total population to feed from isn't close to 17 K. It's not even half of it.  So again, never could I figure out Bristol, Va, and VA High being that small in numbers. Still haven't understood it. Is it the oldest town in the USA? Weird.

Bristol Va. is more or less a retirement community plus we have 1 Christian school an I think 1 private school, also a lot of kids are home schooled now which is done in Washington Co. other than that I dont know. Bearcat Dad may have more to say on this than me.

3 hours ago, EH31 said:

BSG + Appalachia + the surrounding areas is what I was getting at. I know it’s tough knowing how much it is exactly but that was the point I was making 

I understand that, but it's that way almost everywhere that has suburbs or housing developments that may fall outside city limits. BSG and Appalachia, plus the areas towards Lee County that may come to Union, are still significantly lower than a place like Bristol or Radford. There's probably around 7,000 people if you expand everything, maybe a little more, and that's total population not adjusted for any factors. Compared to Radford or Bristol, it's still a significant gap.

2 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

I understand that, but it's that way almost everywhere that has suburbs or housing developments that may fall outside city limits. BSG and Appalachia, plus the areas towards Lee County that may come to Union, are still significantly lower than a place like Bristol or Radford. There's probably around 7,000 people if you expand everything, maybe a little more, and that's total population not adjusted for any factors. Compared to Radford or Bristol, it's still a significant gap.

Yet the student population of Radford High is 509 compared to 625 for Union.