Ridgeview @ Battle

Observer

2 minutes ago, Suit Up said:

Yet the student population of Radford High is 509 compared to 625 for Union.

Okay? How close are Christiansburg, Blacksburg, Pulaski, etc..? How many high schools are within a 30 mile radius?  At least three IIRC. 

10 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Okay? How close are Christiansburg, Blacksburg, Pulaski, etc..? How many high schools are within a 30 mile radius?  At least three IIRC. 

What point are you trying to get across? None of those areas feed into the the athletic programs of radford high school. 

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

Auburn and East Montgomery can be thrown in there. Fort Sheezzzille ain't to far away.

After reading the Battle fans posts, I think 4 factors explain the variance. Only my guess.

Millennials. Lots of them graduating VT and staying in a technical area that's growing (CBurg-Bburg-Radford). That increases the overall population, but they don't have kids in High School yet.

Retirement. Bristol, VA, Older retirees who's kids are long gone from High School.

Home School. Huge increase across the United States, not just with right leaning Christians, but especially among older millennials who may be more left of center or progressive, whatever you want to call it, and they have the resources to easily do that around major universities, and probably job stability for the group of millennials that are at the older end of that generstion as they are now we'll into their mid to late 30s.

Private Schools/Christian Schools. Like the Battle poster said, two of them in Bristol, and Blacksburg I know has a big one. Add all four of these things and mix em and twist em, and that might explain the variance of why for example, Radford has a larger population that Union and it's area and Graham of Bluefield and it's area, yet Radford has less students than both.

Bristol and Radford may have a high population, but it doesn't have the kids going to school. The largest Class 2 school in SWVA is Richlands with 680 students as of the last numbers. Radford is at 505 -- and just about 50 over the Class 1 cut line. Sometimes it's not all about population as much as it is about the makeup of that population. Virginia High has 40+ less kids than Richlands with double the population. 

11 hours ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Thanks for clarifying that on Battle. That makes sense, but with the city of Bristol, VA, being 17kish, it makes it more complicated for me to understand VA High. 17 thousand is a LOT. I find it nearly dam$ impossible to have 17K and only enough numbers to field a 2A school. I mean, where the he$$ do the kids go? There's no way you can have a population of 17K and only have ...say approximately 650 students? 

If the city is Independent and there isn't a huge private High School there and no universities as King U sets in TN, and the kids in the county and outside of Bristol go to Battle, then what is the deal? It looks like VA High really does have a population of 17 K to feed from. I get it, they don't get county kids and only Bristol City,  but Even a school like Union, Tazewell, or Graham pulling their own town and county kids, that total population to feed from isn't close to 17 K. It's not even half of it.  So again, never could I figure out Bristol, Va, and VA High being that small in numbers. Still haven't understood it. Is it the oldest town in the USA? Weird.

Actually, you hit the nail on the head, for current times. VHS has always had low numbers, but now there are just fewer kids playing sports. We even fell to what we consider “1A” a few years back. As I was growing up in the 80’s and 90’s, Bristol did have a thriving manufacturing setting for non college bound kids to start working in immediately after high school, but never much else. That is no longer the case.

The young Bristol families had to move away to find work that pays enough to stay off of government assistance. With the loss of good paying jobs coupled with the recent retail boom in Bristol, young families have been replaced by retirees, so the population hasn’t seen a tremendous change, but the enrollment at VHS has managed to stay fairly similar over the decades. 

I graduated from VHS in 97, and the enrollment was pretty close to what it is now, but we constantly had 50+ kids on the football team every year. Part of the problem at VHS is culture. Bristol has always been a baseball town. Numbers have declined in baseball the last couple of years, but not too long ago, we would have to cut 2-3 times as many kids that tried out for baseball, as the number of kids that made the team. Until 2 seasons ago, we regularly had well over 20 kids on the Varsity baseball team because kids wanted to be part of a winning culture.

With that said, VHS has always had kids leave to go to Battle, Abingdon, Damascus, Patrick Henry, and the big one, Tn. High. Kids from other areas only transfer to VHS to play baseball.

EDIT; 

I didn’t quite finish my thought, so here goes....

There has always been a lot of older people that have lived in Bristol. There are just more, now. Numerous people from the coalfields, my parents included, who didn’t want their children to go underground, saw Bristol as their “escape” so to speak. My dad moved us from Coeburn to Bristol in 1984, just in time for me to start kindergarten. That generation and the one before have either retired, or are close to retiring.

Couple those retirees, with the number of married people who don’t have kids, (my little brother, a 2001 VHS grad, and his wife, a 2003 VHS grad, are examples of this, along with many others) explains some of why Bristol has a decent size population, but a low high school enrollment.

Sometimes numbers are also just funny like that. I watched a piece on WCYB a few weeks ago about Abingdon. They have a population of 10,000, yet have the biggest high school enrollment in SWVA.

I have always heard how schools such as BSG, Powell Valley, App. went so big on football games an to go play Union in the "Big Park" as we called it was a thing to see, so last year we drew Union in the 1st Round of playoffs. I was not disappointed, the way the town went all out to the way the players road in, now Battle on the other hand did nothing for the boys not even a pep rally, the boys were beat before they road over. The tradition of these schools is one reason the other is the way the boys get treated, the coaching is another an last is the way the people of the towns treat these young men even down to the cheer leaders is the reason you have so many young men on the sidelines. If I had had a choice #20 would have been playing football at Union instead of Battle, but like Bearcat Dad just said the young have moved out, no jobs here which in turn means no kids.

Battle is like the red headed step child of Bristol, it goes Tennessee High, Virginia High and then Battle at the very bottom very similar to Kingsport with DB, South and North. Heck I've gone across the street to the Target or Hibbet and you can find Abingdon gear but no Battle stuff to be seen. The past three years Battle has gone to the playoffs first year Stone had a pep rally and a students and fans lined Battle Hill as the boys left the school and they went to Logans to eat. The past two years the game has been on a Saturday so pep rally was on Friday during school and the boys left on Saturday mornings. The boys at Battle from what I've heard get treated pretty good, heck they got a new field house this year, good unis and coaches and admin that care about them.

1 hour ago, grandpaw trojan said:

I have always heard how schools such as BSG, Powell Valley, App. went so big on football games and to go play Union in the "Big Park" as we called it was a thing to see, so last year we drew Union in the 1st Round of playoffs. I was not disappointed, the way the town went all out to the way the players road in, now Battle on the other hand did nothing for the boys not even a pep rally, the boys were beat before they road over. The tradition of these schools is one reason the other is the way the boys get treated, the coaching is another an last is the way the people of the towns treat these young men even down to the cheer leaders is the reason you have so many young men on the sidelines. If I had had a choice #20 would have been playing football at Union instead of Battle, but like Bearcat Dad just said the young have moved out, no jobs here which in turn means no kids.

Grandpaw Trojan - I feel your pain, I'm from the Big Stone area and 20 years ago I left due to graduating college and finding work in North Carolina. So, I felt when my son was at the age of starting to play ball in high school, I wanted to take him back to where I was from because I knew of the long and deep traditions of football. I remember when I took him to some football games his 9th grade year  to let him see Union play, he was overwhelmed by the home town support and spirit. His exact words "I've never seen anything like this before". He didn't know who Thomas Jones was or PV or APP at all, he just seen all the things I was showing him at the games. So, his 10th grade year, I bought a place in Big Stone and he started playing ball there and from day 1, he has loved it from all the support from the school, football moms, and spirit that he sees. I'm just saying that I think this is one of the best decisions I have ever made for my son. If my son wins state, that would be GREAT! But just for the experience that he has had the opportunity to be a part of, is truly overwhelming. The reason Union is so successful in terms of school spirit, is because of a team and community effort that has a real love for the game! ITS TRULY A FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS EXPERIENCE!

9 hours ago, UNION#ATW said:

Grandpaw Trojan - I feel your pain, I'm from the Big Stone area and 20 years ago I left due to graduating college and finding work in North Carolina. So, I felt when my son was at the age of starting to play ball in high school, I wanted to take him back to where I was from because I knew of the long and deep traditions of football. I remember when I took him to some football games his 9th grade year  to let him see Union play, he was overwhelmed by the home town support and spirit. His exact words "I've never seen anything like this before". He didn't know who Thomas Jones was or PV or APP at all, he just seen all the things I was showing him at the games. So, his 10th grade year, I bought a place in Big Stone and he started playing ball there and from day 1, he has loved it from all the support from the school, football moms, and spirit that he sees. I'm just saying that I think this is one of the best decisions I have ever made for my son. If my son wins state, that would be GREAT! But just for the experience that he has had the opportunity to be a part of, is truly overwhelming. The reason Union is so successful in terms of school spirit, is because of a team and community effort that has a real love for the game! ITS TRULY A FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS EXPERIENCE!

7 years ago when I bought a house in Big Stone I begged my kids to transfer,but they were loyal to their teammates and band mates at Central and I respected that. I think if they had it to do over again they would have went to Union. No disrespect at all to the folks from Central. The majority are good folks,but just as the town of BSG has been a much better fit for me I think UHS would have been a better fit for them.

2 minutes ago, cwood78 said:

Thought this thread was about PACK AND BATTLE. Anyway,pack, untucks their tails, and  takes care of business. No time to think about coulda, shoulda,. 

The game won't be worth talking about:) The Pack plays back down in opponent caliber and lights up the scoreboard like a Christmas tree

10 hours ago, bristol8434 said:

Battle is like the red headed step child of Bristol, it goes Tennessee High, Virginia High and then Battle at the very bottom very similar to Kingsport with DB, South and North. Heck I've gone across the street to the Target or Hibbet and you can find Abingdon gear but no Battle stuff to be seen. The past three years Battle has gone to the playoffs first year Stone had a pep rally and a students and fans lined Battle Hill as the boys left the school and they went to Logans to eat. The past two years the game has been on a Saturday so pep rally was on Friday during school and the boys left on Saturday mornings. The boys at Battle from what I've heard get treated pretty good, heck they got a new field house this year, good unis and coaches and admin that care about them.

I was wrong about the pep rally an sorry I was, it was Saturdays game that was poorly done, No Cheerleaders, No Band, No Big Send Off, not a lot of special care that week. The field house was planned years ago, an I am sure the coaches care about them an the kids are great. BUT this year do yourself a favor go early an watch how a town treats the kids for a playoff game in Big Stone an that makes the kids try that much harder an I hear its like that in Ridgeview too.

11 hours ago, grandpaw trojan said:

I was wrong about the pep rally an sorry I was, it was Saturdays game that was poorly done, No Cheerleaders, No Band, No Big Send Off, not a lot of special care that week. The field house was planned years ago, an I am sure the coaches care about them an the kids are great. BUT this year do yourself a favor go early an watch how a town treats the kids for a playoff game in Big Stone an that makes the kids try that much harder an I hear its like that in Ridgeview too.

What town would you suggest throw a sendoff for JSB? Benhams, Mendota, Goose Pimple Junction........?

22 hours ago, UNION#ATW said:

This is awesome!

And sorry to the Ridgeview and Battle fans for not discussing this game, but there really isn't much to discuss. Wolfpack wins in a big way.

I feel like Battle will come out like there past two games, they'll come out and put up a fight for a quarter or two and then depth will take affect and Ridgeview pulls away. If Battle stays in it til the fourth quarter I can see a South Carolina Georgia situation. 

7 minutes ago, bristol8434 said:

I feel like Battle will come out like there past two games, they'll come out and put up a fight for a quarter or two and then depth will take affect and Ridgeview pulls away. If Battle stays in it til the fourth quarter I can see a South Carolina Georgia situation. 

I hate to tell you, but this one won't come down to a field goal in double OT.  

1 hour ago, bristol8434 said:

Adkins will rush for 400 yards before half time.

2 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

This is awesome!

And sorry to the Ridgeview and Battle fans for not discussing this game, but there really isn't much to discuss. Wolfpack wins in a big way.

Read my article on this game on Coalfield Sports... we've never scored more than 27 against them.  Last year, we were expected to win HUGE and were tied with them in the fourth.  For some reason, we've always struggled with Battle.  Take nothing for granted.

6 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Read my article on this game on Coalfield Sports... we've never scored more than 27 against them.  Last year, we were expected to win HUGE and were tied with them in the fourth.  For some reason, we've always struggled with Battle.  Take nothing for granted.

I'll definitely read it. Battle was stout on D last year and in '17, but I think this year will be different. One injury can kill a season at the 1A or 2A level, and they've had enough for multiple teams. Just don't get caught looking ahead to Abingdon or Pikeville!

2 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Lee will probably beat battle....

10 hours ago, 50kw said:

What town would you suggest throw a sendoff for JSB? Benhams, Mendota, Goose Pimple Junction........?

no town, just plan something for them at Battle to let the kids know what they are doing is special. some dont get that a little praise goes a long way.