This is craziness

Optimal62

We’ve crippled two generations with the participation trophy mentality. No wonder people can’t respect others with opposing views or need crying rooms. Our nation is full of wimps. What five year old running for a TD is going to fall down to spare the other team’s feelings? Kids want to score, they want to win! The league needs to be fined for being ridiculous. 

15 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

We’ve crippled two generations with the participation trophy mentality. No wonder people can’t respect others with opposing views or need crying rooms. Our nation is full of wimps. What five year old running for a TD is going to fall down to spare the other team’s feelings? Kids want to score, they want to win! The league needs to be fined for being ridiculous. 

And if we have crippled them in this one area of life which is youth sports, do you think we have just stopped there? Of course not. From academics to having a moral compass to resilience, it ain't pretty from my point of view. Now, if you are one of the 30 or so percent Bolsheviks walking around in the country, that article is a product of your well planned work. That's an article that you would love. It's a milestone on a path which is preferably, 1930s  St.Petersburg, and I'm not talking about the one in Florida. 

Agree, and dang, my bad bro, I got a touch carried away and to philosophical dabbling in the Bolsheviks, lol. In some of these articles and stories like this one, we may never know the fully story. For example, was the person or people that had the ability to decide and enforce the punishment have some beef with the kids father. Is the father a town ahole or live beside the person enforcing the punishment and they fight over trees and BS like that? Not saying it is, but sometimes stuff coming out like this has underpinnings like above. Either way, it's sad.

2 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

And guess what. All the kids on both teams know and accept reality. They don't give a damn the next day. they were just out there having fun. It is the 35 year olds that have problems with reality.

There is a major difference in a backup scoring a touchdown and leaving your starters in to run up the score.  One thing of relevance that isn't mentioned is how much time is left in the game.  I could somewhat see an argument if it's late in the 4th quarter, but if it's even early 4th it should be fair game for them to still try to put some points up.  One youth league that I used to officiate in had a slaughter rule once a team was up by 28 points in the 2nd half.  The trailing team got the ball at the 50 and kept it until they scored or turned it over.  The chains were brought back in if they reached the 20.  There were times that I liked this rule, but then other times it would kind of backfire.  Most coaches would sub if it got to this point, but others would keep their defensive starters because they felt like the other team had an "advantage" because they got to keep possession of the ball.