Week 8 points

Ryan4VT

28 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Hasn't Union only lost around 7 or 8 games at home since consolidation?  You can even go back to the PV years if that didn't convince you.  Some of the biggest games in the state have been played in that park and I'm from Appalachia so I was raised to hate PV.  

49-10 at home counting this season and playoffs thus far. If I counted correctly.

4 of those losses were playoff games. 

14 hours ago, Burrell’s Pearls said:

The PV/Appalachia/Union program and culture is great. Bullitt Park is great when the team is good, it’s average to below average when the team isn’t contending for regional titles. From 2000 on it was a tame environment at PV games even in 04 and 06 when PV won Region D. Look at last year’s playoff game against Graham, fans had given up. People that played at PV/Union know the truth. Lose and I don’t even mean lose bad I just mean win 5 or 6 games and those fans turn on you faster than some drug snitches around here.

The poor attendance at both the Battle and Graham playoff games didn't have much to do with the number of wins and losses or Union's ability to win those games. I think it was more of a protest to some coaching decisions throughout the season.

I guess every time the team only wins 5 or 6 games, the poor attendance is a protest to the coaches? PV/Union supporters are like everyone else. I watched countless people pour out of the stands at Central last week. The coaches and players (past and present) make Bullitt Park a tough place to play not the bandwagon fans who are nowhere to be found in rough times. The Park wasn’t very crowded in 2011 when Union was 3-4 and GC came to town. Wasn’t very crowded in 2008 when JJK beat a very average PV team there either. 

18 minutes ago, Burrell’s Pearls said:

I guess every time the team only wins 5 or 6 games, the poor attendance is a protest to the coaches? PV/Union supporters are like everyone else. I watched countless people pour out of the stands at Central last week. The coaches and players (past and present) make Bullitt Park a tough place to play not the bandwagon fans who are nowhere to be found in rough times. The Park wasn’t very crowded in 2011 when Union was 3-4 and GC came to town. Wasn’t very crowded in 2008 when JJK beat a very average PV team there either. 

Did my post mention PV, Appy or any Union games other than the playoffs last year? I was specifically referring to the playoffs last year. You may speculate about any other game past or present that you wish and I won't argue. However, I feel VERY confident the poorly attended playoff games last year were due to coaching decisions.

Regardless of what town/school you support, wins puts butts in the seats.  A team gets hot, and people come out of the woodworks.  Alumni show up and so do people from towns whos team is down/not very good.  Union is not exempt from this.  Appy experienced this as well, as I'm sure all of our teams has.  

But you've got to admit, when The Park is packed, its a fun and rowdy atmosphere!

22 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Did my post mention PV, Appy or any Union games other than the playoffs last year? I was specifically referring to the playoffs last year. You may speculate about any other game past or present that you wish and I won't argue. However, I feel VERY confident the poorly attended playoff games last year were due to coaching decisions.

Just wondering what are the coaching decisions that where made that fans would protest and then not attend the games?

6 minutes ago, DB-6130 said:

Just wondering what are the coaching decisions that where made that fans would protest and then not attend the games?

I posted the following last year after the Graham playoff game in response to the Union attendance. If anyone followed Union last year, they'll know what I'm talking about. Don't want to beat a dead horse.

Disappointing for sure. Attendance went down immediately after the Abingdon game. There was a glaring issue in that game, everyone knew it wouldn't be corrected, and a lot got frustrated and didn't come to the last games. I'm hoping attendance will be back to normal next year regardless of our record.

On 10/21/2019 at 7:38 PM, UVAObserver said:

Would you have felt that way had you waltzed out of there with a win in 2017 like you should have?  What about that slow start to an Appomattox team they probably beat 6 times out of 10?

Awesome environment, but like Lane Stadium, the “home field mystique” is a fair bit overblown.

6 out of 10 might be a stretch.  That Appo team wasn't the same team that demolished other in 2016 but they were still good.  Our QB #1 just simply refused to lose games.  Those that saw Appo play against RE LEE for the title witnessed that.  

We left the Park with a 3 point win but 7 of Unions points came very late.  So late in that once the kicked the on sides kickoff out of bounds Appo just had to kneel it out. 

Like Ryan4VT said, that was one of the best environments I'll probably ever have the pleasure of being part of.