Graham vs Richlands

Gridiron60

1 hour ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

On a serious note, I will take Graham by 10 points. I still think many discount Graham's defense. Union beat Graham with a first team All State Linebacker injured, and he didn't play. With Kastner healthy, it's not just Graham's offense that's a problem, they still have a defense that's lights out. Richlands will not move it on Graham like they did Radford.  The difference in this game in my opinion will not be a story line about Graham's offense or Richlands offense. It will be Graham's defense that will be the MVP of the game.

Graham has made a couple of defensive adjustments as well.  Lets see how that pans out 

I honestly think the story will be Graham’s defense. GMen seem to be clicking better and more focused. Graham’s A game beats Richlands A game in my opinion. I don’t automatically say Graham wins but if both teams show up to play and penalties are kept at bay, then I give nod to the GMen.   

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

I honestly think the story will be Graham’s defense. GMen seem to be clicking better and more focused. Graham’s A game beats Richlands A game in my opinion. I don’t automatically say Graham wins but if both teams show up to play and penalties are kept at bay, then I give nod to the GMen.   

Graham's defense has been the story so far this season.......just not in a good way. At the beginning of the season Graham's biggest question mark was the O line which is still suspect but I never figured their defense would have struggled against quality opponents like they have. Cam and Chris both not only helped in the passing game but they helped tremendously in coming up and stopping the run. 

They have improved on playing more disciplined. Anxious to see if that continues in a big game.

4 hours ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

On a serious note, I will take Graham by 10 points. I still think many discount Graham's defense. Union beat Graham with a first team All State Linebacker injured, and he didn't play. With Kastner healthy, it's not just Graham's offense that's a problem, they still have a defense that's lights out. Richlands will not move it on Graham like they did Radford.  The difference in this game in my opinion will not be a story line about Graham's offense or Richlands offense. It will be Graham's defense that will be the MVP of the game.

Kastner played against Union, I’m pretty sure

4 hours ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Kastner played but was not healthy. Justice did not play and that did affect the defense in my opinion. Defense is looking better now and if they bring their end of season play from last year, they will be the game MVP. 

Not having Justice hurt some I’m sure. And playing injured will definitely limit a players mobility. But that defense has underperformed considering the athletes they have. I don’t think Richlands is an offensive juggernaut but they have momentum and confidence now. How well they cover Graham’s speed  at WR and at QB will be what decides the game. And it still may not be enough. Graham 21-17

Best of luck to both teams, should be a good one.  Both teams are playing well.  Graham has the talent to beat Richlands, but they will have to be on their A game for four quarters, without foolish penalties which seem to happen when these two go at it.  Richlands can hold their own at the Ernie, and the place will be rocking, so I'll go with Richlands 24 Graham 21. Could be wrong, but just have a feeling that the tough competition Richlands has payed thus far will give them the edge.

Hard to say for sure on this one as Graham hasn't been tested for several weeks.  Richlands has had more competition and catching the next gear on offense.  Sloppy play will doom you against Richlands.  Literally a coin toss for me on who wins.  If both teams play sharp, Graham by 10-13.  Graham players forget to bring their A game Richlands by 7.

For all speculation I believe Graham does edge this one out.

Don't know the x's and o's like some of you students and former players of the game, but here's my take.  Sometimes its about what you feel than what seems likely.

Couldn't have said this at the first of season, but I'm giving the edge to Richlands for the D.  They have stepped up and been consistent since playing the Falcons.  

I give the edge to Graham on offense.  I think Lester's experience (not as QB), but in big games last year gives Graham  this edge.  

Special teams, Sage Webb  is a difference maker.  Think Graham's punter/kicker will be angling the ball away from him.  

Levi at home, on turf can be big.  

Coaching, I give the edge to Mance and staff.  This game is HUGE and to the coaches, it's the same planning as if it were Salem.  

Game at home an edge for Blues.

The variables in all of the above are penalties and turnovers.  They can be a killer for momentum.  

With all of this being said, I am going with Richlands for the W.  

GO BLUES🌪️

I think this is gonna be a barn burner of a game. Graham has more team speed, but I think Richlands has the fastest player on the field in Webb. He outran the Bluefield guys when they had the angle. But outside of him, it's average speed for the Blues. Graham's D is strong. There's no doubting that. I do think Richlands continues to grow and get better. Steele is really having a nice season at RB and doing so quietly. Simmons also has the ability to get rushing yards. If the Blues can have some success behind that big line in the run game early and get Graham off balance, the passing game could open up with Webb, Tarter, Spencer and crew. Could be a good place to get the TE's involved again after a few weeks absent from the gameplanning. 

I think it all comes down to how well Richlands can contain Lester. He is the key to Graham's success. Hold 5 in moderate check, and you have a chance to win. 

This game is HUGE for both teams in terms of seeding. One of us will travel to Central in a few weeks. One will host Tazewell. 

This game will ride a lot on the ability of Steele to run well on early downs.  We all know snake Palmer will take Webb out of the game. He will be the only player on either team to receive a true double  team, and possible , a safety shaded to his side. This will leave the field open for the other receivers , Simmons , and Steele.  Much like the Abingdon game.  That was one of the blues better offensive games with several players stepping up. Look for Simmons to play big Friday. 

9 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

I think this is gonna be a barn burner of a game. Graham has more team speed, but I think Richlands has the fastest player on the field in Webb. He outran the Bluefield guys when they had the angle. But outside of him, it's average speed for the Blues. Graham's D is strong. There's no doubting that. I do think Richlands continues to grow and get better. Steele is really having a nice season at RB and doing so quietly. Simmons also has the ability to get rushing yards. If the Blues can have some success behind that big line in the run game early and get Graham off balance, the passing game could open up with Webb, Tarter, Spencer and crew. Could be a good place to get the TE's involved again after a few weeks absent from the gameplanning. 

I think it all comes down to how well Richlands can contain Lester. He is the key to Graham's success. Hold 5 in moderate check, and you have a chance to win. 

This game is HUGE for both teams in terms of seeding. One of us will travel to Central in a few weeks. One will host Tazewell. 

both will win in 4 weeks and it will not be close ,as for this game , who knows the BIG R has improved since they played UNION, and the GMEN.......well lester will have to change cleats at halftime because he will be burning up the turf running so much

Going back and reading last year's thread on this same game, a lot of people had Richlands winning because Graham had not performed up to expectations.  That was the game Graham really kicked it into high gear and everything seemed to click offensively and defensively.  Hoping the GMen seize the opportunity this Friday and perform to their potential.  If they do, it won't be a barn burner.  

7 hours ago, Tiger 2000 said:

This game will ride a lot on the ability of Steele to run well on early downs.  We all know snake Palmer will take Webb out of the game. He will be the only player on either team to receive a true double  team, and possible , a safety shaded to his side. This will leave the field open for the other receivers , Simmons , and Steele.  Much like the Abingdon game.  That was one of the blues better offensive games with several players stepping up. Look for Simmons to play big Friday. 

We may see more Webb in the backfield in this one as a way to get the ball into his hands more. Just a hunch. 

8 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

both will win in 4 weeks and it will not be close ,as for this game , who knows the BIG R has improved since they played UNION, and the GMEN.......well lester will have to change cleats at halftime because he will be burning up the turf running so much

I read way too fast, I saw changing cleats & my mind went back to the 90s. I skipped right over the Lester part 😂😂😂😂 An earlier poster said something about Webb being fastest player on the field Friday night and I’m not so sure that will hold true. 

8 hours ago, Tiger 2000 said:

I bet there’s been a lot of film watching for this game on both sides. I guarantee Rex & Snake will have those boys prepared and hopefully, the boys execute well and stay focused. I guess this be be Snake’s first time coaching at Ernie Hicks since 2015. Hope the GMen bring home the W.