Reg 2D Playoff Scenarios

Union_Fan

2 hours ago, Burrell’s Pearls said:

What does past seasons have to do with this year? This year the SWD has one win if I remember correctly and it’s over the 3A school in the M7.

Surely you recall your original post. You mentioned the “M7 dominance of the SWD”, which is historically untrue.  If you’re judging by hardware, the mighty M7 has zero state championship game appearances.  The SWD has 2, and is 1-1 when they get there. If anything, M7 has continually fallen flat in state semifinals against Region C, while the SWD has given a decent account of itself.  So much for “dominance”.

If you want to talk this year, I’d favor Graham or Richlands heavily over Ridgeview, having seen all 3.  I have not seen Union, but that team is banged up much more severely than the one that trailed Richlands in the 4th and needed a last second field goal to beat Graham by 2.  I’d lay pretty good money that your 2D final is an all-SWD showdown.  Dominance and all.

Although you can take any reason you like from what I am going to say here, I still hate rematches in the playoffs.  I like to see playing against a new team that you didn't play in the regular season.  I don't want to see us playing Richlands or Graham again and it has nothing to do with our first game against either of them.  I would much rather face a Central, Union, or Ridgeview.

11 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Although you can take any reason you like from what I am going to say here, I still hate rematches in the playoffs.  I like to see playing against a new team that you didn't play in the regular season.  I don't want to see us playing Richlands or Graham again and it has nothing to do with our first game against either of them.  I would much rather face a Central, Union, or Ridgeview.

I'm with you. I also don't like playing teams in the regular season, out of district, that you may see in the playoffs, or that other teams on your schedule play. I know that Graham was a great schedule and the Richlands game has taken on a life of its own. They are both excellent opponents to get Union ready for the playoffs and bring a great rivalry, but it kills the power points rating. I wish we could load up on Tennessee teams, but it is what it is.

That was the best thing about the East vs West system. The travel was horrible for the schools, but I enjoyed playing Gretna, Appomattox, Dan RIver, Tazewell, Stuarts Draft, Clark Co, Graham and Glenvar in the playoffs instead of rematches.

4 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

I'm with you. I also don't like playing teams in the regular season, out of district, that you may see in the playoffs, or that other teams on your schedule play. I know that Graham was a great schedule and the Richlands game has taken on a life of its own. They are both excellent opponents to get Union ready for the playoffs and bring a great rivalry, but it kills the power points rating. I wish we could load up on Tennessee teams, but it is what it is.

That was the best thing about the East vs West system. The travel was horrible for the schools, but I enjoyed playing Gretna, Appomattox, Dan RIver, Tazewell, Stuarts Draft, Clark Co, Graham and Glenvar in the playoffs instead of rematches.

East vs. West was nice until the season were we had to go to Dan River and Appomattox back to back weeks and weren't we 9-1 or 8-2

41 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

East vs. West was nice until the season were we had to go to Dan River and Appomattox back to back weeks and weren't we 9-1 or 8-2

9-1. I think Letcher, Burton and Crockett all drug us down that year in points.

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

9-1. I think Letcher, Burton and Crockett all drug us down that year in points.

I think that was the year we lost at Richlands on missed 2 pt. conversion.  Yeah that was the year when the traveling started to suck but it's nice when all games are at home though so it was good and bad.

18 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

So extrapolating that data you get this record for the SWD vs. the M7: 31-33.   I don't know what your metric is, but "Kicked the SWDs ass up one side and down another" doesn't seem to apply when the M7 has won all of 2 more games against the SWD than they've lost. 

Also, if you take Lebanon out for the SWD, it's 28-22 for the SWD. Lebanon is the anchor that is dragging the SWD back. Without them, the SWD has owned the M7 (Except for Union).

The M7 hasn't "kicked the SWDs ass" but I wouldn't call 28-22 the M7 being owned either. 

2 minutes ago, redtiger said:

The M7 hasn't "kicked the SWDs ass" but I wouldn't call 28-22 the M7 being owned either. 

Agreed. A little strong on my part. Both districts are about even. Each has a team that has dominated the other side. Both have regional title finalists. 

10 minutes ago, BBHoops_18 said:

I'm pretty confident if Graham and Union were to meet again Graham would win. You can quote me too.

IF the defensive adjustments that Graham has made pan out, I might be inclined to agree.  Lets see how the defense performs on friday. 

Week 9 Points for 2D

1.) Ridgeview 7-1 198 24.75
2.) Union 6-2 183 22.875
3.) Graham 6-2 163 20.375
4.) Richlands 4-4 159 19.875
5.) Central 6-2 157 19.625
6.) Tazewell 5-3 151 18.875
7.) Gate City 4-5 149 16.55556
8.) Marion 3-5 119 14.875
9.) John Battle 1-7 99 12.375
10.) Lebanon 1-7 92 11.5
11.) Va High 0-8 92 11.5
12.) Lee 0-8 90 11.25

10 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Had we not fooled around and lost to GC in week one, we’d still be the 3 seed and on Unions heels. S

So, does Richlands outpoint Graham in the final 2 games and get the three seed?  Assuming both win out and both WILL win out. 

Just now, Hokie1Pokie said:

So, does Richlands outpoint Graham in the final 2 games and get the three seed?  Assuming both win out and both WILL win out. 

No. Graham is locked into the 3 unless Union loses.