(10-25-2019) Week 9 Updates

Bulldog05

Just now, UnionBears84 said:

Well as they’re getting healthy Union has become one of the more banged up teams in the Region. Maybe the most unhealthy. 

Graham tackled poorly on that first td drive by Richlands, then began wrapping up and tackling better and this was by far the most hard hitting game by the defense all season.

1 minute ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Graham tackled poorly on that first td drive by Richlands, then began wrapping up and tackling better and this was by far the most hard hitting game by the defense all season.

Agreed!!! They missed several tackles on that drive. 

Just now, UnionBears84 said:

You’re absolutely right lol. Completely forgot about the Harris injury on top of others 

It sucks for teams like us and you guys to go down hill due to injuries. Seems like tazewell gets hit by the injury bug every year. I think if tazewell would of had all of their players against Richlands it could of been a way better ball game. @UnionBears84 best of luck to you guys the rest of the season!

8 hours ago, CPF said:

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/7897987/5db3bc6864deb90df0d6bb6b

This should end the debate. Terrible call

Can't view it but it was all shoulder, no helmet in my opinion. Lester is too good a player & too disciplined. Anyone saying he targeted and did it on purpose is ridiculous.  It was not flagrant nor did it warrant an ejection. He didn’t lower his head into the chin of his opponent. His feet never left ground, didn’t launch into the kid. Lester wouldn’t lower the crown of his helmet for the mere reason of possibly hurting himself. He’s a smart classy kid who knows how to tackle properly. Hope the kid is alright but Lester should have never been ejected for that hit. That’s not whining or crying, just facts! 

4 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Can't view it but it was all shoulder, no helmet in my opinion. 

It won’t let me view it either. Can’t wait to see it though. I’m sure when evidence speak their won’t be a single Richlands fan on here til next week. 

4 minutes ago, Bulldog05 said:

It sucks for teams like us and you guys to go down hill due to injuries. Seems like tazewell gets hit by the injury bug every year. I think if tazewell would of had all of their players against Richlands it could of been a way better ball game. @UnionBears84 best of luck to you guys the rest of the season!

Same to you guys! Hate it for the couple seniors that are banged up and simply gutting it out. Lomax a sophomore will Be able to bounce Back stronger next year 

54 minutes ago, Blue_Crue said:

Targeting in high school is any contact above the shoulder. Doesn’t matter with what the defender hits them with: Helmet, shoulder pad, or a forearm. The targeting is called because of the contact above the shoulders.

Ejecting him mattered because he did not flagrantly hit the other player leading lowing the crown helmet to chin. He needed to do that to warrant an ejection I believe. Graham coaches reviewed footage according to the paper and I’m sure they will appeal. It will be interesting to see if it gets overturned. 

10 hours ago, chipinbogey said:

Actually, it's the commissioner of the representing officials association, and both principals in a fighting or misconduct situation.It must be a unanimous decision between those 3 parties either way. 

However, we're simply required to submit the game report with the ejection noted. In a targeting situation, the guideline is it MUST be flagrant per the NFHS rule book to result in a disqualification. There is no subsequent suspension either for targeting, just the remainder of the contest.

Thanks for clarifying!

9 hours ago, Bulldog05 said:

It won’t let me view it either. Can’t wait to see it though. I’m sure when evidence speak their won’t be a single Richlands fan on here til next week. 

I’ll be right here defending my boys. You don’t go high to hit a player. Go for the body, not the head. He was held out last night for a possible concussion. I’ll defend my boys until the day they put me in the ground. And I’ll be right here to do so. 

17 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I’ll be right here defending my boys. You don’t go high to hit a player. Go for the body, not the head. He was held out last night for a possible concussion. I’ll defend my boys until the day they put me in the ground. And I’ll be right here to do so. 

Lester did not go high and did not go for the head. He did have a significant height advantage on the other player but still not a flagrant targeting foul. I hope kid’s okay.

On a side note. I'm pretty sure the National Anthem at the beginning of the game was somewhat of a mix up but I thought it turned out pretty cool both teams lined up for the kickoff. The fireworks at the beginning was pretty cool as well. I'm just glad Richlands didn't have the opportunity to set off the "Grand Finale" at the end of the game.

On another side note.  Anybody else think Graham scored on that goal line stand and then got the safety after the ball was given back to Richlands on the one foot line.  Looked like very generous spots.  Maybe somebody with a better vantage point can enlighten me 

19 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

On another side note.  Anybody else think Graham scored on that goal line stand and then got the safety after the ball was given back to Richlands on the one foot line.  Looked like very generous spots.  Maybe somebody with a better vantage point can enlighten me 

They definitely got safety. As for TD on the goal line, one ref thought and a ton of Graham players who knows. It was a big ole pile. Safety 100%!!!! 

15 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

They definitely got safety. As for TD on the goal line, one ref thought and a ton of Graham players who knows. It was a big ole pile. Safety 100%!!!! 

It looked like he was tackled 2 yards deep in the endzone from where I was watching.  But I didnt have the best angle.

Close.and tough to tell, but it echoed the theme of the game, another 50/50 call that went in favor of Richlands. I have no problem with a missed call or simply a bad call. I have an issue when one team is getting and overwhelming or lob sided portion of what could be considered 50/50 calls. When that happens, it's almost always a crew that is caught up in the moment, caught in the emotion of the game be it the atmosphere, noise, environment, etc. We see it some in baskeball arenas with teams playing at home. It's not intentional, but it does happen. It happened last night as far as I'm concerned, and when it does, I will also say so and defend my boys.

What Graham did was remarkable. They played without a state POY candidate, on the road, against a team treating this game like it was their Superbowl, and was on the short end of almost all of the 50/50 calls, had 2 TDs called back and in the end, blew Richlands out 37-10. That's remarkable to me.

11 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Lester did not go high and did not go for the head. He did have a significant height advantage on the other player but still not a flagrant targeting foul. I hope kid’s okay.

Exactly. He didn’t go high, I watched the video time after time. However, I hope the kid is okay. Good clean hit by Lester. You can’t make a good hard hit in today’s time though. Football isn’t football anymore. 

27 minutes ago, Bulldog05 said:

Exactly. He didn’t go high, I watched the video time after time. However, I hope the kid is okay. Good clean hit by Lester. You can’t make a good hard hit in today’s time though. Football isn’t football anymore. 

That kid got drilled with a textbook perfect tackle nothing more, nothing less. You're right, football isn't football anymore. Like another poster stated, it hurt Richlands in the end because it fired up the GMen. It was a great team effort on both sides of the ball. Great play calling by Tony. Richlands play calling was lacking last night. They needed to change things up and never seemed to be able to adjust offensively to Graham's defense. Who would have thought Webb would have 10 yards from passing and 4 on the ground. It gives me hope if we meet Ridgeview or Union in playoffs, we can contain Polier and Adkins, maybe not to the extend we did Webb but hopefully well enough to win. 

As you mentioned Gridiron, great credit to Tony and his staff offensively. They had Richlands guessing defensively and Tony continued to force the issue. The issue or advantage Graham thought they might have was Richlands difficulty covering Graham's speedy receivers. Even with Devin out, Tony continued to spread Richlands out and he still put the ball in the air forcing Richlands to cover. It was a perfect time for Graham's OL to grow up a bunch. Booker ran hard and he also had some big holes and got a great starting push from our OL. 

I lost every ounce of respect for Lester’s parents with their Facebook comments. 
I know the kid who was injured after the hit. I know his dad well. And some of the things they were saying to just shrug him off as a KID and a human being is disgusting. 

48 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I lost every ounce of respect for Lester’s parents with their Facebook comments. 
I know the kid who was injured after the hit. I know his dad well. And some of the things they were saying to just shrug him off as a KID and a human being is disgusting. 

The mama & papa bear comes out strong in some people when their kid is done wrong. Defense mechanism goes in high gear. I don’t know what they said about the Richlands player but I think everyone including myself hoped he was alright. I’m sure they feel the same but it was an emotional night. I’m not excusing anything they may have said that was disrespectful about the other player but parenting is not for the faint of heart and sometimes our emotions get the better of us. 

46 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

The mama & papa bear comes out strong in some people when their kid is done wrong. Defense mechanism goes in high gear. I don’t know what they said about the Richlands player but I think everyone including myself hoped he was alright. I’m sure they feel the same but it was an emotional night. I’m not excusing anything they may have said that was disrespectful about the other player but parenting is not for the faint of heart and sometimes our emotions get the better of us. 

They are wonderful people.