Vote for Mitchell Stadium

total

17 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

I was just asking...wondering what all the hoopla was about...

Yeah there is no Golden Trophy or a million dollar prize but I think the most fulfilling prize that came from it was seeing the community and surrounding communities comes together to achieve a common goal. Refreshing to see countless number of people engage on social media without the usual divisive political and social issue arguments but to work together. For a few days Gmen, Beavers, Bulldogs, Tigers, Blue Tornados, Republicans, Democrats, Black, White, Young, Old, etc came together and achieved something they wanted. If the folks in Washington, DC could do the same just a few days out of the year this country would be much better off.

2 minutes ago, BHS03 said:

Yeah there is no Golden Trophy or a million dollar prize but I think the most fulfilling prize that came from it was seeing the community and surrounding communities comes together to achieve a common goal. Refreshing to see countless number of people engage on social media without the usual divisive political and social issue arguments but to work together. For a few days Gmen, Beavers, Bulldogs, Tigers, Blue Tornados, Republicans, Democrats, Black, White, Young, Old, etc came together and achieved something they wanted. If the folks in Washington, DC could do the same just a few days out of the year this country would be much better off.

#this #allofthis 

1 hour ago, Hokiebird7 said:

I was just asking...wondering what all the hoopla was about...

It’s things like this that bring in some tourism dollars.  There will be a few people come to Mitchell Stadium who otherwise wouldn’t have.  They’ll spend money here.  Hopefully they’ll have a good time and come back.

On 11/3/2019 at 7:34 PM, Gridiron60 said:

Our opponents want Mitchell Stadium investigated because it’s actually. a college stadium 🙄. People are so dense these days. I blame Common Core Education 😂 . 

The thing that is funny is both high school teams could beat the college team!

23 minutes ago, crazyFB said:

The thing that is funny is both high school teams could beat the college team!

Let's not get crazy. That's 22 year olds vs. sometimes 14 and 15 year olds. No high school will beat a college team. Even the bad ones. Just like Alabama or LSU couldn't beat Miami.

Just amazes me and I know what hate I'll get by saying it but I hate Mitchell stadium.  Never have liked playing a game there.  Only one time have I ever had the team I was pulling for win there, hasn't always been the Dogs either!

I will say though I did vote for it just for the recognition of this area 🙂

7 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Just amazes me and I know what hate I'll get by saying it but I hate Mitchell stadium.  Never have liked playing a game there.  Only one time have I ever had the team I was pulling for win there, hasn't always been the Dogs either!

I voted as well because it's our area... but Mitchell has a great field and great seating.  However, the concessions and bathrooms are abysmal.  The bathrooms rival Bullitt Park as far as worst bathrooms in our area.

2 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Let's not get crazy. That's 22 year olds vs. sometimes 14 and 15 year olds. No high school will beat a college team. Even the bad ones. Just like Alabama or LSU couldn't beat Miami.

Agreed. Bluefield College is bad but let’s not get carried away. They’d destroy Graham or Bluefield.

5 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

The 2001 Miami Hurricanes would have beaten the 2001 Cincinnati Bengals and I will defend that forever.

37 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

The 2001 Miami Hurricanes would have beaten the 2001 Cincinnati Bengals and I will defend that forever.

That's basically a pro team tho. That was the greatest collection of talent I've ever seen. The only issue would have been QB. Dorsey was not a good QB, but he had so much talent around him he was able to win.

The second stringers on that team were All-Pros. Two HOFers were freshman on that team. Aside from Andre Johnson, the WRs were the only position group without multiple long time NFL players. 

Didn't Tech play them close that year? I seem to remember the only team being within a score was VT.

5 hours ago, stu_bean said:

I like the stadium as far as the field and seating. Not a bad seat really but the concession stand and restrooms need a complete renovation. There really aren't many local high school stadiums where the restrooms are nice to be honest. Mitchell at least has a visitors locker room some schools around here cannot even boast that. Mitchell has great handicap seating where most places build a ramp & say done. 

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

That's basically a pro team tho. That was the greatest collection of talent I've ever seen. The only issue would have been QB. Dorsey was not a good QB, but he had so much talent around him he was able to win.

The second stringers on that team were All-Pros. Two HOFers were freshman on that team. Aside from Andre Johnson, the WRs were the only position group without multiple long time NFL players. 

Didn't Tech play them close that year? I seem to remember the only team being within a score was VT.

Final was 24-26 and it was close the whole game.  They rose up to that after laying the eggs against Syracuse and Pitt

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

I like the stadium as far as the field and seating. Not a bad seat really but the concession stand and restrooms need a complete renovation. There really aren't many local high school stadiums where the restrooms are nice to be honest. Mitchell at least has a visitors locker room some schools around here cannot even boast that. Mitchell has great handicap seating where most places build a ramp & say done. 

Two things here.  Why did they stop using the concession booth at the other end of the stadium?  Kind of makes a dead area of the stadium.

As far as improvements, I think about everywhere can work on something.  Love Honaker stadium but could do better on bathroom and concessions.  Thought Princeton was a very nice stadium but the lighting sucks horribly in the stands.  Of course some stadiums are just better left unmentioned...

1 minute ago, stu_bean said:

Two things here.  Why did they stop using the concession booth at the other end of the stadium?  Kind of makes a dead area of the stadium.

As far as improvements, I think about everywhere can work on something.  Love Honaker stadium but could do better on bathroom and concessions.  Thought Princeton was a very nice stadium but the lighting sucks horribly in the stands.  Of course some stadiums are just better left unmentioned...

They now use that as the official's dressing room. Moved it from the back of the home side dressing room. You only need it one or two times a year but boy do they need it then!

2 hours ago, BigWinners said:

The only close game they had was VT in Blacksburg, yep.  

1 hour ago, stu_bean said:

No clue about the other concession stand being closed but it's definitely needed for larger crowds. I guess that's a question for the powers that be...disregard...just saw the answer! Definitely needed for Beaver/Graham game. 

4 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

If Ernest Wiliford catches a two point conversion, you may not have the same opinion. There are some (large elite High School teams that would easily beat many NAIA and Div 3 schools and some Div 2 schools (the worst of the worst Div 2 schools.)  I am talking about the elite top 10 High schools for a given year that are turning out 8 Div 1 and Div 2 seniors that have a senior laden team. A team like Mater Dei, Katy, Tx, Lakeland, Fl, De La Salle, CA, etc. These schools would crush Bluefield college and play with and sometimes beat a team like UVA-Wise. 

For the top of the group in college like Clemson and Bama, they aren't within 30 points of any pro team on any year. 30 points is being nice. The 2001 Miami team would have lost to the worst NFL team that year by over 30 points. I would wager 40 points.

1 minute ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

If Ernest Wiliford catches a two point conversion, you may not have the same opinion. There are some (large elite High School teams that would easily beat many NAIA and Div 3 schools and some Div 2 schools (the worst of the worst Div 2 schools.)  I am talking about the elite top 10 High schools for a given year that are turning out 8 Div 1 and Div 2 seniors that have a senior laden team. A team like Mater Dei, Katy, Tx, Lakeland, Fl, De La Salle, CA, etc. These schools would crush Bluefield college and play with and sometimes beat a team like UVA-Wise. 

For the top of the group in college like Clemson and Bama, they aren't within 30 points of any pro team on any year. 30 points is being nice. The 2001 Miami team would have lost to the worst NFL team that year by over 30 points. I would wager 40 points.

do you realize how many first round picks were on that team? Basically every player on defense was drafted and had a productive NFL career almost immediately. Ed Reed, maybe the best FS ever, Jon Vilma, Wilfork, Rumph, Antrel Rolle, Buchanan, DJ Williams, two more first round picks on the DL, plus you had Sean Taylor playing in Nickel sets.

Bengals maybe win but they weren't scoring that many points on that defense. One game within seven points and that was a night game in Blacksburg against a good Tech team. Steamrolled a very good Nebraska team in Rose Bowl. 

Clinton Portis toting the rock, backed up by Frank Gore and Willis McGahee (pre knee injury). Andre Johnson, Jeremy Shockley and Kellen Winslow catching passes. Bryant McKinnie shutting down the blind side. Miami was basically a pro team. 

9 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

No clue about the other concession stand being closed but it's definitely needed for larger crowds. I guess that's a question for the powers that be...disregard...just saw the answer! Definitely needed for Beaver/Graham game. 

I think the concession stand thing is a good question. For the final years it was open, it was the Pizza source and long before Papa John's, it had Gino's Pizza (now located only in WV and still damn good), and before Gino's, Roberto's was in there (Roberto's had 2 locations in Bluefield and was my favorite.) Anyway, the last I can remember the concession stand open at the one end of the field is 2001 when Graham beat Liberty Bedford in the semis. Now, I'm getting older and it may have been open long after that, but it's the last time I recall it open. I'm interested now in knowing when it close if anyone knows?