Marion 🤔

vols4life

The current regional playoff setup is ridiculous in my opinion not just our region but others  When teams with losing season get into the playoffs , it’s a sad state of affairs. It all comes down to $$ for the VHSL. 

I agree with you both. However, when I think about it, the games aren't for the fans or the money they generate. 

They're really for the players. If it weren't for the kids that wanted to play, there wouldn't be a team. No team, no game.  No game, no fans. No fans, no money.

Does a 1-9 team "deserve" to be in the playoffs? No.

Does that senior that loves the game, and maybe is in a bad situation due to inept coaching or poor turnout deserve one more chance to put on that uniform and play the game we all love? Absolutely!!

If I was a HS senior, I would be ecstatic to play just one more time. Even if I knew I would get beat to death. Lol

Just a thought.

57 minutes ago, vols4life said:

I dunno,seems your rewarding teams for just playing..Which is the new norm..Guess I'm finally saying I'm oldskool at 44..lol

44 might as well be 84 when trying to relate to young folks these days. I know this much, I have already turned into my parents. Haha

12 hours ago, vols4life said:

We Suck

Love Tim but I don't know if he can survive as coach. Glad we can get some fresh blood at QB... Id forfeit the playoffs,we don't deserve to even speak of it

I've been with Marion Football since my oldest started playing in 2011 (the start of the good run) and then my nephew after him and now I'm in it for the next 5 years because of my youngest sons and it looks like it is going to be a long 5 years. Let's face it Tim didn't get left with much, Carroll knew when to get the hell out of dodge because he wouldn't be fairing any better. Tim controls the team and he doesn't let the players or parents determine who does what, which is not a bad thing. One thing Marion needs to do IMO is get rid of the stupid rec league football and get into travel ball but that won't  happen because then many Dads wouldn't be able to coach their little Johnnys and make them the stars of rec league teams. I've had parents tell me that they told their child to quit if they didn't get to play when they hit middle school ball and up. That is just stupid if you're good enough to play you'll get to play and if not well then you need to work harder and try to improve so you can get some playing time. So many parents build mediocre kids up and have them thinking that they are the next big superstar when in all reality they suck.  Didn't mean to ramble on but I agree with you though I don't know if Tim can survive but I do know he means well and cares about those boys and I wish him the best. 

59 minutes ago, rjhall71 said:

One thing Marion needs to do IMO is get rid of the stupid rec league football and get into travel ball but that won't  happen because then many Dads wouldn't be able to coach their little Johnnys and make them the stars of rec league teams. 

I readily admit I do not know Marion's situation very well but I don't believe travel ball solves the problem with youth sports. When travel ball teams form the kids who suffer the most are the ones who come from low income families  who can't afford to make the trips or pay the dues to pay on these teams. Rec league at least allows a majority of the kids in your town to participate and possibly turn into a contributor for varsity sports on down the road. It seems like a majority of towns across SWVA are turning to travel ball and I've not seen it pay off for many schools. I do see a lot less turn out in sports because the kids are either burnt out once they reach high school or they were not developed at the elementary or middle school level because of a lack of participation in rec league. 

I've always seen it like this

rec league - developing players 

travel ball - winning

@sixcat has talked about Galax playing 8 man rec ball, lots of kids playing and the focus is on developing players. Best idea I've heard of as long as it doesn't turn into daddy ball

17 minutes ago, Widespread_Panic said:

I readily admit I do not know Marion's situation very well but I don't believe travel ball solves the problem with youth sports. When travel ball teams form the kids who suffer the most are the ones who come from low income families  who can't afford to make the trips or pay the dues to pay on these teams. Rec league at least allows a majority of the kids in your town to participate and possibly turn into a contributor for varsity sports on down the road. It seems like a majority of towns across SWVA are turning to travel ball and I've not seen it pay off for many schools. I do see a lot less turn out in sports because the kids are either burnt out once they reach high school or they were not developed at the elementary or middle school level because of a lack of participation in rec league. 

I'm not saying it would be a solve all but it would be a better feeder program than what we have now because the rec league is a big problem for feeding our program as I mentioned the reasons in my previous post. I can tell you that there are a lot of programs who owe there success today to their feeder programs and most of those are travel ball. 

5 minutes ago, redtiger said:

travel ball - winning

@sixcat has talked about Galax playing 8 man rec ball, lots of kids playing and the focus is on developing players. Best idea I've heard offs long as it doesn't turn into daddy ball

I agree 100%  with all of the above but IMO Marion rec league ball has been daddy ball for several years now and isn't going to change that is why I think a change to travel ball would help our program. 

So here is what Marion has had to deal with this year

Best linebacker (hm all state) quits before the season starts

12 “concussion“ through out the year with most of those player being starters

11 other players that started 2 a days are no longer on the team (quit, trouble at school, and didn’t like being told they couldnt play if they didn’t come to practice)

0 support from the community instead of cheering at any point they are trashing the coaches in front of the kids which after a while makes the kids second guess the coach when mom dad uncle grand dad etc tell him that the coaches are dumb asses and he should quit.

Greg Mance would have a hard time winning with what Marion has to put on the field at the moment. 
 Are they world beaters.. no. Do they have good individuals.. yes. Does their record deserve a play off appearance? No but that’s not the kids fault let them play it’s the last time some of them will put on a helmet. Is there a culture of folding it up and quitting when things don’t go your way? Yes it’s been like that even with the good teams Marion has had. 
 It takes time to change a culture and that hard to do when you are in a down talent cycle. Coach Smith is doing everything he can with the cards he has been dealt. 

39 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

So here is what Marion has had to deal with this year

Best linebacker (hm all state) quits before the season starts

11 other players that started 2 a days are no longer on the team (quit, trouble at school, and didn’t like being told they couldnt play if they didn’t come to practice)

0 support from the community instead of cheering at any point they are trashing the coaches in front of the kids which after a while makes the kids second guess the coach when mom dad uncle grand dad etc tell him that the coaches are dumb asses and he should quit.

Greg Mance would have a hard time winning with what Marion has to put on the field at the moment. 
 Are they world beaters.. no. Do they have good individuals.. yes. Does their record deserve a play off appearance? No but that’s not the kids fault let them play it’s the last time some of them will put on a helmet. Is there a culture of folding it up and quitting when things don’t go your way? Yes it’s been like that even with the good teams Marion has had. 
 It takes time to change a culture and that hard to do when you are in a down talent cycle. Coach Smith is doing everything he can with the cards he has been dealt. 

I've tried to be as positive as possible this season, and I appreciate that you're trying, but this is a team that has gotten worse in every game that they've played in partially because of injuries, I'll give you that, but more importantly because the team has lost all semblance of fundamentals. I've seen more horsecollar penalties from this team than the previous five years combined. They are consistently tackling by the shoulder pads and helmet, taking the wrong angle, not attempting to find the ball on pass plays, and getting stood up at the line of scrimmage because they aren't getting low enough to have a shot at winning at the point of attack. They lost an all-state player in the preseason, but there are two more all-state players who are on the team. If the team has lost 12 players (an entire team's worth) that is an alarming statistic that reflects horribly on the coaching staff. Rather than galvanizing under pressure as the season progressed like the Carroll coached teams did, a mediocre team has become the worst team that the school has produced since WWII as the season has progressed. A team that has three wins, have given Virginia High their only win of the season, getting beaten by 35 points, despite two of those three victories coming over teams that had beaten VA High.

We're talking about a team that has fundamentally regressed to the extent that they don't even begin to resemble the same team they were five weeks ago, and sure, the players quitting hurt, but you can't convince me that twelve players quitting isn't reflective on the coaching staff. I'm not here to take a crap on Smith's staff because he is working with a stacked deck and it's his first year, he's still learning, but if any one can absolve the coaches of responsibility means that we're watching two different teams.

47 minutes ago, Plywood_King said:

I've tried to be as positive as possible this season, and I appreciate that you're trying, but this is a team that has gotten worse in every game that they've played in partially because of injuries, I'll give you that, but more importantly because the team has lost all semblance of fundamentals. I've seen more horsecollar penalties from this team than the previous five years combined. They are consistently tackling by the shoulder pads and helmet, taking the wrong angle, not attempting to find the ball on pass plays, and getting stood up at the line of scrimmage because they aren't getting low enough to have a shot at winning at the point of attack. They lost an all-state player in the preseason, but there are two more all-state players who are on the team. If the team has lost 12 players (an entire team's worth) that is an alarming statistic that reflects horribly on the coaching staff. Rather than galvanizing under pressure as the season progressed like the Carroll coached teams did, a mediocre team has become the worst team that the school has produced since WWII as the season has progressed. A team that has three wins, have given Virginia High their only win of the season, getting beaten by 35 points, despite two of those three victories coming over teams that had beaten VA High.

We're talking about a team that has fundamentally regressed to the extent that they don't even begin to resemble the same team they were five weeks ago, and sure, the players quitting hurt, but you can't convince me that twelve players quitting isn't reflective on the coaching staff. I'm not here to take a crap on Smith's staff because he is working with a stacked deck and it's his first year, he's still learning, but if any one can absolve the coaches of responsibility means that we're watching two different teams.

You are right it is a different team because the same kids arnt on the field mostly because of injury and concussions. The kids that are no longer on the team quit because they were back ups and didn’t get the playing time they wanted or didn’t come to practice because their parents said that’s okay and got mad they didn’t play but when you have the injuries and you back ups are no longer on the team you get what you have seen. I have a hard time believe that a defensive head coach doesn’t work on tackling but the kids have to execute. The coaching staff isn’t perfect no staff is sometimes bad luck and a rough cycle makes good coaches look bad

1 hour ago, Jags52 said:

If Marion has had 12 players diagnosed by medical professionals with concussions then this program needs to be immediately shut down. That is an insane and untenable number. 

23 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

If you go to the doctor/nurse practicioner/veterinarian and complain of a headache and tell them you play football I can guarantee you they are going to diagnose you with a concussion.

Your guarantee & the stuff that comes out of my butthole bear a suspicious resemblance. 

On 11/2/2019 at 4:03 PM, redtiger said:

travel ball - winning

@sixcat has talked about Galax playing 8 man rec ball, lots of kids playing and the focus is on developing players. Best idea I've heard of as long as it doesn't turn into daddy ball

Unfortunately, the long-time director of the Galax Recreation Center retired a couple of years ago.  The new leadership isn't running as tight a ship and isn't nearly as demanding of coach/parent behavior.  A couple of dad's who can only be characterized as program killers have moved in and taken over.  By all outward appearances, the new leadership is scared of these two dad's so, they have no accountability.  The youth program has taken a significant step backward and most parents and coaches who have been around for a decade are no longer willing to participate as long as those two are around.

It's gotten to the point, city council has gotten involved.  Some people just have no business being associated in any way with youth sports!

I'm glad to see a discussion.. I have said time n time again rec ball is Daddy n son ball or $$ rules...Tim is a great guy,Great guys aren't always great head coaches..Palmer at PH had to deal with alot his first years..But look now..9-0 best season since 97...

We just need alot of changes at the lower level and the community needs to step up like they have in years past.

11 hours ago, vols4life said:

I'm glad to see a discussion.. I have said time n time again rec ball is Daddy n son ball or $$ rules...Tim is a great guy,Great guys aren't always great head coaches..Palmer at PH had to deal with alot his first years..But look now..9-0 best season since 97...

We just need alot of changes at the lower level and the community needs to step up like they have in years past.

It has to be bottom up.  Daddy ball is always gonna be a thing (who else is gonna volunteer that much?) but the program and ultimately the kids have to come first. 

On 11/4/2019 at 8:43 AM, sixcat said:

Unfortunately, the long-time director of the Galax Recreation Center retired a couple of years ago.  The new leadership isn't running as tight a ship and isn't nearly as demanding of coach/parent behavior.  A couple of dad's who can only be characterized as program killers have moved in and taken over.  By all outward appearances, the new leadership is scared of these two dad's so, they have no accountability.  The youth program has taken a significant step backward and most parents and coaches who have been around for a decade are no longer willing to participate as long as those two are around.

It's gotten to the point, city council has gotten involved.  Some people just have no business being associated in any way with youth sports!

.....see Gate City the last 5 seasons, if you don't think any of this matters!

15 minutes ago, SXSW said:

.....see Gate City the last 5 seasons, if you don't think any of this matters!

As long as Mark Dixon is still at the high school, Galax will be fine.  He won't tolerate "daddy ball" and the daddy's won't mess with him.  When he leaves, all bets are off!

14 minutes ago, sixcat said:

As long as Mark Dixon is still at the high school, Galax will be fine.  He won't tolerate "daddy ball" and the daddy's won't mess with him.  When he leaves, all bets are off!

If he wants to make his way up 77 then west on 460 if a certain someone hangs it up -- I wouldn't protest the move...