2019 TSSAA Playoffs

SXSW

The 2019 TSSAA playoffs begin Friday November 8th.

In 1A: Harriman (3-7) visits Cloundland (5-5) and Unaka (2-8) travels to Greenback (8-2)

In 2A: Cumberland Gap (4-6) visits Hampton (8-2), Sullivan North (5-5) travels to Oneida (6-4), Rockwood (5-5) comes to South Greene (9-1) and Happy Valley (7-3) travels to Meigs County (9-1)

In 3A: Chuckey Doak (6-4) hosts Kingston (6-4), Austin East (7-3) hosts Johnson County (4-6), Unicoi County (6-4) travels to Gatlinburg-Pittman (8-2) and West Greene (5-5) gets the honor of becoming Alcoa's first of 5 playoff victims (9-1)

In 4A: East Ridge (6-4) travels to Elizabethton (10-0), Sullivan South (5-5) travels to East Hamilton (7-3), Chattanooga Howard (7-3) travels to Greeneville (8-2) and Grainger (6-4) goes to Anderson County (9-1)

In 5A: Gibbs (7-3) travels to Tennessee High (9-1), David Crockett (7-3) goes to Knox Central (8-2), Daniel Boone (6-4) goes to Knox Halls (7-3) and Cherokee (6-4) travels to South Doyle (7-3)

In 6A: Dobyns Bennett (8-2) hosts William Blount (5-5), and Science Hill (4-6) travels to Maryville (10-0) 

Good luck to the local Northeast Tennessee teams, all playoff start at 7:00 pm local time. 

Its unfortunate that Crockett fell apart the last 3 games of the Season. They went from the 1 Seed to the 3 Seed in a matter of 3 games. Would of been hosting atleast 2 Homes games now have to go to Knoxville 1st Round. Greeneville and Elizabethton have the Best shots at Making it to Cookeville. They will be seeing each other again in the 2nd or 3rd Round

11 hours ago, CoachT423 said:

Its unfortunate that Crockett fell apart the last 3 games of the Season. They went from the 1 Seed to the 3 Seed in a matter of 3 games. Would of been hosting atleast 2 Homes games now have to go to Knoxville 1st Round. Greeneville and Elizabethton have the Best shots at Making it to Cookeville. They will be seeing each other again in the 2nd or 3rd Round

I don't think Greeneville gets past Anderson County in it's potential second round matchup. If both get there it will 3rd round at Besty. I think 4A is the weakest of all the classes year in and year out and that favors the NE Tennessee reps. 5A is the gauntlet run, there are so many good 5A schools just in the Knoxville area that a NET team will ever get the chance to go to Murfreesboro, then you have the mid state schools to deal with which another whole level (there are some elite D1 athletes in the Nashville area in all classes) that area is starting to become a recruiting hotbed.  

11 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Do you think D-B beats William Blount @SXSW?

Seems like a lot of folks believe they'll win this week but probably be one and done against McMinn next week.

DB probably wins the WB game, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. It wouldn't be the first time the Tribe has face planted in the opening round. 

1 hour ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Do you think D-B beats William Blount @SXSW?

Seems like a lot of folks believe they'll win this week but probably be one and done against McMinn next week.

The one thing you learn to do really quick in watching DB is prepare to be disappointed! I would never bet a single penny on what they do after game 10. 

1 hour ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Does Western Tennessee and perhaps Memphis have separate playoffs?

No they all play in the TSSAA, they are Regions 7 & 8, The TSSAA kicked out the private schools three years ago and they play in Division 2. The TSSAA now has 9 state champions now in football. 1A-6A, and Division 2, 1A-3A...The Memphis area plays some very good football. The Memphis area has probably 20 private schools that play football and there are a lot of Public/Private schools games. 

Round 2 of the playoffs takes place this week and the Northeast Tennessee teams got thinned out pretty good.

In 1A: Oliver Springs (9-2) travels to Roane Mountain to take on Cloudland (6-5)

In 2A: Oneida (7-4) plays at Hampton (9-2) and South Greene (10-1) travels to Meigs County (10-1)

In 3A:  There are no local teams left.

In 4A: Sullivan South (6-5) travels to Elizabethton (11-0) Betsy had to block an extra point the last time these two played and South did not have Julian Reed playing watch out here. 

Greeneville (9-2) travels to Anderson County (10-1) the Greene Devils have been the arch nemesis for the Mavericks the last few years, also both teams have lost to Powell, who is 11-0

In 5A: Daniel Boone (7-4) visits South-Doyle (8-3) 

In 6A: Knox Bearden (5-6) visits Dobyns Bennett (9-2) 

Good luck to the teams left and thanks for allowing me to post!

• 52 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

How many of the NETN teams would you say are favored in this week's games?

Elizabethton, Hampton, D-B and Greeneville slightly. Cloundland, South Greene and Boone are big underdogs.

30 minutes ago, trublue said:

Sorry, I did not  previously notice your topic thread and unfortunately started another with the same topic. 
Please accept my apology.  

No apology necessary, It's all good! 

13 hours ago, BigWinners said:

which team would surprise you the most both ways, winning and losing?

I personally expect Greeneville to lose, they are a good team but not great and Anderson County owes them a few. South could hang with Betsy because both play the same type of game and South has their best player back (RB, Julian Reed) and Elizabethton had to block South's extra point, which South made the first attempt but was penalized for a false start. So they lost by a single point 14-13 without Reed!  South Greene is good but Meigs County is really good. DB you never know about. Hampton is the hot team right now they have given up 6 points in the last five games and should handle Oneida.

Most surprised if they win: South Greene

Most surprised if they lose: Hampton

1 hour ago, swva_havok_fan said:

D-B beat Bearden big in the regular season.  Why would it be different this time around?  Not trying to argue, just genuinely interested.  Does Bearden have injured players back that didn't play the first time around?

Bearden has gotten all their injured players back and haven't lost since!

Powell beat Greeneville, Anderson County, Fulton, Karns, Clinton, Halls, Campbell County, Knox West, Oak Ridge and South Doyle and put 60 up on Lenoir City in the first round. They have two or three D1 caliber players on their squad and all are underclassmen.

We're coming back home for Thanksgiving and Christmas. We may go see Alcoa vs Loudon on the 29th. Loudon is undefeated with a convincing win over Red Bank and a rout of Greenback. I don't see them beating Alcoa, but it could be interesting. It will also depend on who is still going in  SWVA. I'm also thinking about going back down for the Florida  championships in December. They're being held at the city stadium in Daytona where Bethune-Cookman plays. It's a nice facility that seats around 15K and has great parking. Just depends on who is playing and what I feel like, as we're going back right after Christmas anyway. 

Well we have made it to the Quarterfinal Round. 
There are only three Northeast Tennessee teams left.

In 6A: 12-0 Maryville travels to 10-2 Dobyns Bennett...No prediction is needed because we all know what is going to happen.

In 4A: 10-2 Greeneville makes is second trip to Elizabethton 12-0, the first game was an instant classic. Greeneville had 21-7 lead and saw the Cyclones tie the game in the fourth quarter and drive the ball the length of the field and Jaxton Holly's 34 yard FG with 7 seconds left to send the Devils to their first loss to a conference school since 2008... This game may decide the upper side of the bracket because the winners gets the home game in the Semi-Final.  My heart says Greenville but my head says Betsy...it will be a toss up.

2 hours ago, SXSW said:

Well we have made it to the Quarterfinal Round. 
There are only three Northeast Tennessee teams left.

In 6A: 12-0 Maryville travels to 10-2 Dobyns Bennett...No prediction is needed because we all know what is going to happen.

In 4A: 10-2 Greeneville makes is second trip to Elizabethton 12-0, the first game was an instant classic. Greeneville had 21-7 lead and saw the Cyclones tie the game in the fourth quarter and drive the ball the length of the field and Jaxton Holly's 34 yard FG with 7 seconds left to send the Devils to their first loss to a conference school since 2008... This game may decide the upper side of the bracket because the winners gets the home game in the Semi-Final.  My heart says Greenville but my head says Betsy...it will be a toss up.

You're right about the Tribe... good run but sadly it ends Friday night.  Just in time for basketball season where DB plays Maryville on Saturday as well (as well as Powell).

I predict whoever wins between Greeneville and Elizabethton takes home the trophy in Cookeville.

23 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

You're right about the Tribe... good run but sadly it ends Friday night.  Just in time for basketball season where DB plays Maryville on Saturday as well (as well as Powell).

I predict whoever wins between Greeneville and Elizabethton takes home the trophy in Cookeville.

The Winner get the Nolensville (10-2) vs DeKalb County (8-4). The other half of that bracket is Springfield (9-3) at home vs. Hardin County (11-1) and Haywood (11-1) vs. Crockett County (8-4)..still some good teams left but getting to host the semis helps out alot.