2019 TSSAA Playoffs

SXSW

The TSSAA Semi-Finals are set for the Division 1 schools and the finals are set for Division 2.

In 1A: South Pittsburg (12-0) travels to Greenback (12-2) and Lake County (13-0) goes to Huntingdon (13-0) 

In 2A: Meigs County (13-1) hosts Trousdale County (12-1) and Peabody (13-0) travels to Riverside (8-5) 

In 3A: Loudon (13-0) goes to Alcoa (13-0) and Covington (11-2) visits Pearl Cohn (13-0) This a five star bracket

In 4A: Nolensville (11-2) travels Elizabethton (13-0) and Springfield (10-3) hosts Haywood (12-1)

In 5A: Knox Central (11-2) hosts Knox West (12-1) and Summit County (11-2) hosts Dyer County (11-2).

In 6A: Oakland (13-0) visits Maryville (13-0) and Ravenwood (12-1) hosts Houston (13-0) This also is a five star bracket!

In Division 2 The Finals are set.In D2 1A: Davidson Academy (10-2) plays University School of Jackson (10-3), The Game is Thursday, December 5th at Noon Eastern (11:00 am CST)

In D2 2A: Christ Presbyterian Academy (7-6) plays Evangelical Christian School (12-1) This Game is Thursday, December 5th at 4:00pm (3:00 pm CST)

In D2 3A: Montgomery Bell Academy (8-4) plays McCallie (Chattanooga) (10-2) This is Thursday , December 5th at 7:00pm Eastern (6:00 pm CST)

Trying to decide between watching Nolensville - Betsy, Alcoa - Loudon or Murville - Oakland. The easiest of course would be watching Betsy, but Alcoa and Murville games are far more compelling. but fighting the Black Friday traffic and overflow crowds will present a challenge. 

5 hours ago, JDHoss said:

Trying to decide between watching Nolensville - Betsy, Alcoa - Loudon or Murville - Oakland. The easiest of course would be watching Betsy, but Alcoa and Murville games are far more compelling. but fighting the Black Friday traffic and overflow crowds will present a challenge. 

Having both Alcoa and Maryville at home is going to be a traffic nightmare, I don't think Nolensville will give Betsy much of a game but it is the semifinals. This is Nolensville's first trip to the semifinals and Elizabethton's first since the Jason Witten era..If I could go to one I'd pick Maryville and Oakland that's  big boy football right there with D1 players everywhere. 

11 minutes ago, SXSW said:

Having both Alcoa and Maryville at home is going to be a traffic nightmare, I don't think Nolensville will give Betsy much of a game but it is the semifinals. This is Nolensville's first trip to the semifinals and Elizabethton's first since the Jason Witten era..If I could go to one I'd pick Maryville and Oakland that's  big boy football right there with D1 players everywhere. 

We saw them the last time they played in the semis at Murville. Oakland had more talent, but Murville...well...they were just Murville and didn't do anything to beat themselves, didn't miss tackles and made plays they needed to make. We'll probably pick between them and Alcoa. We just got back from Florida yesterday. I'm dreading going from watching football in shorts, tee shirt and sandals to long johns and gloves. I love seeing family and friends, but I'm counting down the days until we go back.

14 hours ago, JDHoss said:

We saw them the last time they played in the semis at Murville. Oakland had more talent, but Murville...well...they were just Murville and didn't do anything to beat themselves, didn't miss tackles and made plays they needed to make. We'll probably pick between them and Alcoa. We just got back from Florida yesterday. I'm dreading going from watching football in shorts, tee shirt and sandals to long johns and gloves. I love seeing family and friends, but I'm counting down the days until we go back.

Safe travels to you whichever game you chose and even safer as you return from Florida! 82 and sunny sounds good about right now!

5 hours ago, SXSW said:

Safe travels to you whichever game you chose and even safer as you return from Florida! 82 and sunny sounds good about right now!

Thanks! Looks like we'll be going to Elizabethton, as we are going to keep the grandkids on Thursday night so their parents can celebrate Black Friday. If they pick them up early, we may still head to the Knoxville area, but I'm not getting my hopes up for that. 

I can wait to have grandkids. Have fun spoiling them!

1 hour ago, JDHoss said:

Thanks! Looks like we'll be going to Elizabethton, as we are going to keep the grandkids on Thursday night so their parents can celebrate Black Friday. If they pick them up early, we may still head to the Knoxville area, but I'm not getting my hopes up for that. 

The Championship Round is set.

In 1A: Lake County (14-0) plays Greenback (12-2) at 12:00pm Friday (11 Central)

In 3A: Alcoa (14-0) plays Pearl Cohn (14-0) at 4:00pm  Friday (3 Central)

In 5A: Knox Central (12-2) plays Summit (12-2) at 8:00pm (7 Central)

In 2A: Peabody (14-0) plays Meigs County (13-1) at 12:00pm Saturday (11 Central)

In 4A: Elizabethton (14-0) plays Springfield (11-3) at 4:00pm Saturday (3 Central)

In 6A: Maryville (14-0) plays Ravenwood (13-1) at 8:00pm Saturday (7 Central) 

The Division 2 Games were already set last week. 

D2 1A: Davidson Academy (10-2) plays University School of Jackson (10-2) at Noon (11 Central) Thursday

D2 2A: Christ Presbyterian Academy (7-6) plays Evangelical Christian School (12-1) 4:00pm (3 Central) Thursday

D2 3A: McCallie (10-2) plays Montgomery Bell Academy (8-4) 8:00pm (7 Central) Thursday. 

Good Luck to Elizabethton as the Cyclones play for their first TSSAA Championship!     

10 hours ago, SXSW said:

The Championship Round is set.

In 1A: Lake County (14-0) plays Greenback (12-2) at 12:00pm Friday (11 Central)

In 3A: Alcoa (14-0) plays Pearl Cohn (14-0) at 4:00pm  Friday (3 Central)

In 5A: Knox Central (12-2) plays Summit (12-2) at 8:00pm (7 Central)

In 2A: Peabody (14-0) plays Meigs County (13-1) at 12:00pm Saturday (11 Central)

In 4A: Elizabethton (14-0) plays Springfield (11-3) at 4:00pm Saturday (3 Central)

In 6A: Maryville (14-0) plays Ravenwood (13-1) at 8:00pm Saturday (7 Central) 

The Division 2 Games were already set last week. 

D2 1A: Davidson Academy (10-2) plays University School of Jackson (10-2) at Noon (11 Central) Thursday

D2 2A: Christ Presbyterian Academy (7-6) plays Evangelical Christian School (12-1) 4:00pm (3 Central) Thursday

D2 3A: McCallie (10-2) plays Montgomery Bell Academy (8-4) 8:00pm (7 Central) Thursday. 

Good Luck to Elizabethton as the Cyclones play for their first TSSAA Championship!     

I'll go with....

Greenback

Meigs

Alcoa

Betsy

Central

Murville

No idea about the privates. Wish the VH$L would have an event like this. We've been several times and it's a blast. Not going this year because the wife is going to a concert with her sister on Friday night, and we're going to head up to Glade Spring for PH-Galax on Saturday. 

Wished I had known you were at Betsy Friday night @JDHoss.  Would've liked to say hello to you.  

I had planned on going to Cookeville Saturday but Calpreps is picking Betsy to win 35-12, so I think I am going to drive up to Appomattox instead.

Going to Cookeville and Lexington one of these days is on my agenda to take in a weekend of football.  I agree about the VHSL.  I would drive to the Tidewater region or NOVA or wherever if they had all six games at one place.  I believe North Carolina has all of their games spread out over Duke, UNC, NC State and Wake Forest as well.

9 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Wished I had known you were at Betsy Friday night @JDHoss.  Would've liked to say hello to you.  

I had planned on going to Cookeville Saturday but Calpreps is picking Betsy to win 35-12, so I think I am going to drive up to Appomattox instead.

Going to Cookeville and Lexington one of these days is on my agenda to take in a weekend of football.  I agree about the VHSL.  I would drive to the Tidewater region or NOVA or wherever if they had all six games at one place.  I believe North Carolina has all of their games spread out over Duke, UNC, NC State and Wake Forest as well.

We sat in the 1st section of the Betsy home side about halfway up. There were a couple of guys from New Market (TN) in front of us who really don't support a single school, but like us, try to go to the best game. If the weather holds out, we'll go to Salem next Saturday regardless of who wins this weekend.

In Thursday's Games I like  USJ, ECS and MBA (MBA had 12 players sign to play college football last season)

In Friday's Games I like Lake County, Alcoa and Summit (this may be the best game of the weekend)

In Saturday's Games I like Peabody, Elizabethton and Maryville (this may be closer than everyone thinks) 

I have been twice to the Championship weekend it is a blast but both times I have went it has rained. Virginia needs to do this in the worst way but doubt they ever will.

Well the 2019 TSSAA Football Championships are in the rear view mirror, and the old adage still applies that the more things change, the more they stay the same! 

In D1 1A: Lake County won its second title (1985 was its first) over Greenback 38-23

In D1 2A: Peabody won its 3rd title over Meigs County 27-16. Peabody now has a 23 game winning streak, the longest currently in the TSSAA any class. And also won last year!

In D1 3A: Alcoa won it's 18th title over Pearl Cohn 27-0. That is 5 in a row for Alcoa. Gary Rankin has won 15 state titles and lost 14 games at Alcoa. He is 11 wins from winning his 450th game.

In D1 4A: Elizabethton won its first TSSAA title, second in school history (1938)  beating Springfield 30-6..this will probably be the title game next year too

In D1 5A: Knox Central won its second title, back to back with last year over Summit 30-7. 5A in  Knoxville area is the best in the state!

In D1 6A: Maryville won its 17th state title beating Ravenwood 42-21. It is Maryville 2nd title in 3 years.

In D2 1A: Davidson Academy won it's 5th state title over USJ 31-21. University School of Jackson now has 6 runner-up finishes and no titles.

In D2 2A: Evangelical Christian School of Cordova won its fifth title over CPA. Christ Presbyterian finished 7-7 after starting out 0-4.

In D2 3A: McCallie (Chattanooga) over MBA 28-7, it is McCallie's second title. 

Thanks again for letting me post and for the interest. It was good to see Elizabethton win, as it was Greeneville last year..Greeneville will be back in a year or so it's going to be fun to watch. 

On 12/9/2019 at 10:05 AM, SXSW said:

Well the 2019 TSSAA Football Championships are in the rear view mirror, and the old adage still applies that the more things change, the more they stay the same! 

In D1 1A: Lake County won its second title (1985 was its first) over Greenback 38-23

In D1 2A: Peabody won its 3rd title over Meigs County 27-16. Peabody now has a 23 game winning streak, the longest currently in the TSSAA any class. And also won last year!

In D1 3A: Alcoa won it's 18th title over Pearl Cohn 27-0. That is 5 in a row for Alcoa. Gary Rankin has won 15 state titles and lost 14 games at Alcoa. He is 11 wins from winning his 450th game.

In D1 4A: Elizabethton won its first TSSAA title, second in school history (1938)  beating Springfield 30-6..this will probably be the title game next year too

In D1 5A: Knox Central won its second title, back to back with last year over Summit 30-7. 5A in  Knoxville area is the best in the state!

In D1 6A: Maryville won its 17th state title beating Ravenwood 42-21. It is Maryville 2nd title in 3 years.

In D2 1A: Davidson Academy won it's 5th state title over USJ 31-21. University School of Jackson now has 6 runner-up finishes and no titles.

In D2 2A: Evangelical Christian School of Cordova won its fifth title over CPA. Christ Presbyterian finished 7-7 after starting out 0-4.

In D2 3A: McCallie (Chattanooga) over MBA 28-7, it is McCallie's second title. 

Thanks again for letting me post and for the interest. It was good to see Elizabethton win, as it was Greeneville last year..Greeneville will be back in a year or so it's going to be fun to watch. 

I believe that Rankin has lost 18 games in 14 years at Alcoa.  That is pretty ridiculous either way, considering when you take into account that most of those losses have come at the hands of Maryville.  It is pretty incredible that you have two neighboring schools that have 35 state titles between the two. 

20 hours ago, falconfan1 said:

I believe that Ranking has lost 18 games in 14 years at Alcoa.  That is pretty ridiculous either way, considering when you take into account that most of those losses have come at the hands of Maryville.  It is pretty incredible that you have two neighboring schools that have 35 state titles between the two. 

You are correct! 18 in 14 years...dyslexia is a laer gniht (real thing)..lol 

On 12/3/2019 at 9:40 AM, JDHoss said:

We sat in the 1st section of the Betsy home side about halfway up. There were a couple of guys from New Market (TN) in front of us who really don't support a single school, but like us, try to go to the best game. If the weather holds out, we'll go to Salem next Saturday regardless of who wins this weekend.

you sir are living the dream 

4 hours ago, redtiger said:

you sir are living the dream 

Being retired really helps, although we've been doing this for quite a few years and have been to games in VA, TN, KY, WV, GA, MS, NC, SC and FL. Really love the Florida games because of the raw athleticism on display most nights, but the atmosphere in NET & SWVA is hard to beat. So many of the bigger Florida schools will have really nice facilities, but very little turnout. Cocoa (4A) and Vero Beach (8A) are exceptions that we've found, probably because they are the only schools in the community. 

15 hours ago, JDHoss said:

Being retired really helps, although we've been doing this for quite a few years and have been to games in VA, TN, KY, WV, GA, MS, NC, SC and FL. Really love the Florida games because of the raw athleticism on display most nights, but the atmosphere in NET & SWVA is hard to beat. So many of the bigger Florida schools will have really nice facilities, but very little turnout. Cocoa (4A) and Vero Beach (8A) are exceptions that we've found, probably because they are the only schools in the community. 

Have you ever been to Robbinsville, NC for a game?  I drove Cherohala Skyway from the Lost Sea attraction near Chattanooga over to Robbinsville back in the summer.  As you enter Robbinsville, there's a sign stating how many 1A state football titles they've won, so now it's on my bucket list to check a game out there someday.

53 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Have you ever been to Robbinsville, NC for a game?  I drove Cherohala Skyway from the Lost Sea attraction near Chattanooga over to Robbinsville back in the summer.  As you enter Robbinsville, there's a sign stating how many 1A state football titles they've won, so now it's on my bucket list to check a game out there someday.

Never been there. Been to AC Reynolds, Robeson and Butler (SE of Charlotte). Robbinsville sounds like a great place to go. 

21 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

never driven the skyway but I came up 68 from GA a few years ago on a trip, some truly beautiful country