Richlands at central wise

#1BLUESFAN

This was an interesting matchup between two teams with contrasting styles. Richlands came into this game with all the confidence in the world, and it showed early as they wasted no time going 65 yards down the field in a hurry after the opening kickoff. If I recall correctly their defense stuffed Central on their first possession for a 3 and out, and a Central punt for about 15 net yards made it look like a rout was about to ensue.  But from there, it was mostly Central's game the rest of the way.  They should have scored a couple more times in the first half but between a big defensive stop or two by Richlands and Central shooting themselves in the foot, the Warriors only came away with 7 first half points.  Make no mistake, Richlands' QB is an impressive playmaker.  His arm alone accounted for most of Richlands' offense as they had difficulty getting anything going on the ground.  As the game went on, Central began to put more pressure on the Richlands QB and flushed him out of the pocket, or got a sack.  Central also delivered some big hits on Richlands' wide receivers when they caught the ball in front of them.  #4 took a couple of pancake hits, but to his credit he bounced back.  Richlands was up 10-7 in the 3rd when he took a big hit and the ball was jarred loose and Central returned the fumble about 30 yards into the red zone.  That was the turning point of the game.  The Richlands' defensive scheme bottled up Central's running game on many occasions but the Warriors kept pecking away and broke a few big ones here and there.  With the score 14-10 Central in the 4th and Richlands driving Central's Ethan Mullins picked off a pass and rumbled and bumbled about 95 yards for the back breaking TD.  Richlands' ability to strike quickly with the pass kept them in it to the end of the game.  Central's inability to get a kickoff to stay in bounds helped shorten the field all night long for Richland's offense but Central's quickness on defense kept pressure on Richlands' offense the whole game. All in all, it was an exciting high school football game to watch. 

Speaking objectively as a Richlands fan, Central beat both us and the refs tonight. The refs seemed like they wanted Richlands to win. Now, we had one or two calls on us that were iffy, but Central had 5 to 10 that were just mindbogglingly bad. Non pass interference calls, a both ways unsportsmanlike when only one player seemed to be throwing shots and mouthing, and several holding calls. However, Central is the better team here, do they beat Ridgeview? It would be nice to see, but Central is not as good as they looked tonight against us, I THINK. You could see from the start that going fast against Central was tearing them up, they could not play against quick play calling and getting right back to the line after the play was done. But, we immediately stopped it, slowed down, right when it was working or had a massive turnover, and I think that is because our kids were flustered when doing it.  

But to call Simmons one of the top five quarterbacks in the region... Not even close to a top five. Good kid, hard working player, and smart but not close to one of the best. He has zero accuracy at times, panics, and he would rather tuck and run instead of finding someone to pass too. It would help a lot though if you had speed at your receiver position to get open. A lot of his mistakes have been continuous throughout the year. The offensive line did not help him much this season though. It felt like they were overpowered a lot this year. Central's QB was amazing and could make a play out of anything, but give the devil his due, the defense was there to play, but got winded from being out on the field way too long and way too often. The running game was not gonna work against this team, look at their offense, they practice against that every day, you can't beat that. 

Just a few opinions, but all in all, this is one of the rougher "decent" seasons I have ever been through with Mance and the Blues.  Glad its over, we will see what next year holds for us. 

55 minutes ago, CzarYakov said:

Speaking objectively as a Richlands fan, Central beat both us and the refs tonight. The refs seemed like they wanted Richlands to win. Now, we had one or two calls on us that were iffy, but Central had 5 to 10 that were just mindbogglingly bad. Non pass interference calls, a both ways unsportsmanlike when only one player seemed to be throwing shots and mouthing, and several holding calls. However, Central is the better team here, do they beat Ridgeview? It would be nice to see, but Central is not as good as they looked tonight against us, I THINK. You could see from the start that going fast against Central was tearing them up, they could not play against quick play calling and getting right back to the line after the play was done. But, we immediately stopped it, slowed down, right when it was working or had a massive turnover, and I think that is because our kids were flustered when doing it.  

But to call Simmons one of the top five quarterbacks in the region... Not even close to a top five. Good kid, hard working player, and smart but not close to one of the best. He has zero accuracy at times, panics, and he would rather tuck and run instead of finding someone to pass too. It would help a lot though if you had speed at your receiver position to get open. A lot of his mistakes have been continuous throughout the year. The offensive line did not help him much this season though. It felt like they were overpowered a lot this year. Central's QB was amazing and could make a play out of anything, but give the devil his due, the defense was there to play, but got winded from being out on the field way too long and way too often. The running game was not gonna work against this team, look at their offense, they practice against that every day, you can't beat that. 

Just a few opinions, but all in all, this is one of the rougher "decent" seasons I have ever been through with Mance and the Blues.  Glad its over, we will see what next year holds for us. 

You do realize that Simmons threw for more yards tonight than the central qb. He is definitely one of the areas five best qbs on the year. He did have some errant throws and tonight wasn’t a great  night for that to happen. Central played hard and physical.  And made the big play late in the game, and hats off to them for winning.   As far as speed at receiver ?  Who have you seen this year in any game as quick , and or fast as Webb.  ? He plays receiver most of the time.  Not following you with these comments.  

Top five in the area? Not sure about that, it depends on how far you widen the area. If you include Galax and GW, I don't think so.  If not, if you're just talking about the SWD and M7, I would agree. I'm not sure I would take Simmons over Phillips at RV or Mullins at Wise, but I could see the case. Lester is clearly the top. 

My reply was to the guy that said Simmons wasn’t even close to top 5. I agree with Lester. Pickett and the others. Not saying that Simmons is better. The comment was basically that simmons had a solid year. No true fan or coach envisioned Simmons td / int ratio to be so good or for him to throw. For as many yards or as many touchdowns as he did.  Qb play didn’t doom the blues tonight or this season. Couldn’t run the ball tonight and Webb probably only had 85 to 95 yards receiving.  Central used a good blueprint.  They stopped the run. Then limited Webb’s touches.  That’s why the kicks went out of bounds. I don’t blame them.  I would much rather give a team the ball at midfield than kick it to the 20 with potential of the big run back.  Good game plan and they made the big play in the fourth quarter.  Richlands was not good enough all year to overcome those type mistakes. A true 6-4 type team. 

1 hour ago, Tiger 2000 said:

You do realize that Simmons threw for more yards tonight than the central qb. He is definitely one of the areas five best qbs on the year. He did have some errant throws and tonight wasn’t a great  night for that to happen. Central played hard and physical.  And made the big play late in the game, and hats off to them for winning.   As far as speed at receiver ?  Who have you seen this year in any game as quick , and or fast as Webb.  ? He plays receiver most of the time.  Not following you with these comments.  

I do understand that the Central QB had less yards than Simmons. But, he looked much, much quicker, smarter, and well balanced in this match. And you have to look at who most of his yards have come against. Most of his passes, the receiver had to catch up with, as they were never right on the money or close. Webb is good, don't get me wrong, but when you over extended the one bright spot, who else are you going too? Webb is great, but we don't have another receiver that is consistent to that degree, even if it is just an screen route, that Simmons has hit consistently against a good defensive back field. Simmons is not a top five quarterback, he had Webb to make him look better, but he is not where near the top five. Could it be to his play or his core around him? That is up for debate.

I've been to all but 3 Richlands games since 2003 and Simmons has been the worst QB we have put on the field...he is a good athlete but no QB...i said after week 1 the Cox kid should be the QB.but Lance and his staff stuck with Simmons all year..the Ryan Willis of high school football.

1 minute ago, #1BLUESFAN said:

I've been to all but 3 Richlands games since 2003 and Simmons has been the worst QB we have put on the field...he is a good athlete but no QB...i said after week 1 the Cox kid should be the QB.but Lance and his staff stuck with Simmons all year..the Ryan Willis of high school football.

Ouch... 

On 11/13/2019 at 12:16 PM, BLUEMAG911 said:

didnt we see the same thing said about grayson county and ridgeview against richlands last year. we all know how that turned out.

Looks like it ain’t gonna be like last year period. Lol

38 minutes ago, Bulldog05 said:

Looks like it ain’t gonna be like last year period. Lol

Yea ...But they still beat the piss out of the Dawgs.....one thing about it the dawgs season lasted longer than the Blues..well 1 day longer.....cant wait till August..

3 hours ago, #1BLUESFAN said:

Yea ...But they still beat the piss out of the Dawgs.....one thing about it the dawgs season lasted longer than the Blues..well 1 day longer.....cant wait till August..

You could have made a lot of money in August betting that the Dawgs would play later into the postseason than the Blues, technical though it is!