GC at Union Part 2

Union_Fan

Hahaha nah, I finally let it go after 18 years haha....

What might have been........2 yards away of putting the game away in the 2nd quarter right before the half.....

I still to this day have not watched that game film......I'm getting more curious, and wanting to watch it now!!!

6 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Although I expected GC to battle, I didn't think this game would be this close.  

GC fans make take issue, but it shouldn't have been. Union was inside the 25 6-7 times and only scored three touchdowns. Costly penalties and a couple big plays defensively gave GC a shot at the W.

10 minutes ago, UnionBears84 said:

If you have watched Union at all this season then you had to know this game was going to be close. Doesn't shock me at all. Union better play keep away next week and STOP WITH THE DUMB PENALTIES. But that's not going to happen

Exactly. Very frustrating to be a Bears fan sometimes. I can shake my cowbell and be frustrated at the same time I guess. Lol

13 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

GC fans make take issue, but it shouldn't have been. Union was inside the 25 6-7 times and only scored three touchdowns. Costly penalties and a couple big plays defensively gave GC a shot at the W.

They spent the whole first quarter on the GC’s side of the 50 but that was solely on GC making mistakes.  We had the muffed punt, not sure what he was trying to do, and then another fumble if I’m not mistaken.  The defense for GC, along with Unions undisciplined ways, kept them out of the end zone.  From the two games I’ve seen Union play against GC they seem like head cases. Football is an emotional game but Union doesn’t know how to control theirs.  44, 24 and an OL or 2, can’t remember their numbers, could easily be flagged almost every play.  Don’t get me wrong they are great players but they need to learn how to control their emotions.  It cost them a bunch of yards tonight and if they don’t clean it up, next week may be the end of their season.

3 minutes ago, UnionBears84 said:

And Mason Polier single handily won that football game tonight. He completely took over in the second half and late in the fourth quarter. He wasn't going to let Union lose tonight. 43 will hopefully be never worn again once he's done with it.

I think Union ran the same play near the end of the 3rd quarter and all of the 4th all but a few plays.  Kid is a beast and there is no arm tackling him.  The game was put on his shoulders and he carried you all to a win.

13 minutes ago, Hokie101 said:

They spent the whole first quarter on the GC’s side of the 50 but that was solely on GC making mistakes.  We had the muffed punt, not sure what he was trying to do, and then another fumble if I’m not mistaken.  The defense for GC, along with Unions undisciplined ways, kept them out of the end zone.  From the two games I’ve seen Union play against GC they seem like head cases. Football is an emotional game but Union doesn’t know how to control theirs.  44, 24 and an OL or 2, can’t remember their numbers, could easily be flagged almost every play.  Don’t get me wrong they are great players but they need to learn how to control their emotions.  It cost them a bunch of yards tonight and if they don’t clean it up, next week may be the end of their season.

It has went on all season. Its a shame. 

13 minutes ago, Hokie101 said:

Almost every play? That's hyperbole. Union is undisciplined and it has been a huge factor, but watching the film of a couple games, teams purposely do things that skirt the rules at best to draw that kind of play. It's smart, it works, and Union needs to be aware but it's not as if they are totally out of the blue.

It was a fumble that gave Union the ball back, but I believe that one was forced, Union knocked the ball loose. Union had a ton of yards from the 25 to the other 25 but GC stiffened up and Union had some costly mistakes that stalled drives. 

On a separate note, was the GC side as confused at times by the officials not measuring stuff? They only brought the chains out once IIRC and both teams had short yardage plays that I thought deserved a measure.

1 minute ago, BigWinners said:

On a separate note, was the GC side as confused at times by the officials not measuring stuff? They only brought the chains out once IIRC and both teams had short yardage plays that I thought deserved a measure.

Yea, lol!  There was a bunch of times where I felt like a measurement was needed or they took about 10-15 seconds before they decided to.  If it’s within a yard I say measure but don’t think about for awhile and just give the first down.

With the whole undisciplined thing, I’m more meaning Union has to play smarter.  They are too talented to still be making those plays and hurting themselves.  The teams from here on out will be a tougher match up and they can’t help them out with dumb penalties like they did tonight.  GC was an extra point or two away or a completed pass away from stealing a win tonight.

1 hour ago, Hokie101 said:

Yea, lol!  There was a bunch of times where I felt like a measurement was needed or they took about 10-15 seconds before they decided to.  If it’s within a yard I say measure but don’t think about for awhile and just give the first down.

With the whole undisciplined thing, I’m more meaning Union has to play smarter.  They are too talented to still be making those plays and hurting themselves.  The teams from here on out will be a tougher match up and they can’t help them out with dumb penalties like they did tonight.  GC was an extra point or two away or a completed pass away from stealing a win tonight.

Absolutely! Why not just bring out the chains? What's the rush? It wasn't quite as cold this week as the last week and in a game this close that could literally be decided by inches, bring out the chains to make sure it's right.

GC kept their composure and really could have walked out with the W. Union finally finished off some drives in the fourth but until this, the GC D stood tough when needed. In thought the TD before the half was huge. Union had controlled the first half, GC was struggling to penetrate the Union defense but then GC opened up the offense and got that score and really took control.

I'm also shocked there's a team around with a more unreliable kicking situation than Union lol. 

7 hours ago, Valhalla said:

He went back out and showed heart. For a freshman he's tough as nails and made a difference the second half with the ground and pound up the middle run game.

For sure. #31 took him out on the continuous chop blocks, but he worked it out and come back. Somebody made sure 31 face was in the dirt every time after that 

50 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

Jones is good for at least 2 personal fouls a game , his teammates pulled him away from at least 1 more when he was going after another one.he does do better the more he plays both ways, whooo I wish I had that kids energy 

I wish we had 4 more of him on the field exactly the same. The kids motor never stops