#8 team in 3A decides not to play.

Real Sasquatch

Not to be nit picky, but Goochland is in 3B. Independence High took Warrenton's place as that #9 seeded team and will travel to Goochland. Interestingly, Bluestone High was scheduled to play at Goochland the final game of the regular season (3 nights ago) and they cancelled/forfeited the game due to low numbers and knowing they would get slaughtered. Same thing happened with Warrenton.

I didn't think grayson had ever been 1a before this year??? In the old system I thought they were in single a but division 2 which  was basically the same thing as 2a I think. Some of the other guys on here would know for sure.

6 hours ago, SW_VA_boy said:

I remember in 98, Narrows had 17 and split the MED with Pocahontas.  While Grayson was the largest school single A school in the state at the time.

Narrows split the MED with Grayson County in 1998, not Pocahontas.  Pocahontas lost regular season district games to Fort Chiswell (25-10), Grayson County (28-14), and Galax (15-14).  They beat Narrows 36-28 while Narrows beat Grayson County 12-7.  Grayson and Narrows finished with one loss in district play each while Pocahontas lost 3 district contests. Pacahontas would lose to Covington in round 1 of the D1 playoffs 31-6.  Narrows beat Galax in the opening round of the playoffs 8-0 and lost to Covington the following week 41-8.  Grayson lost to Giles in the opening round of the D2 playoffs 28-21.

Credit to FourSeasonsFootball.com for score verification!

1 hour ago, MT FAN 91 said:

I didn't think grayson had ever been 1a before this year??? In the old system I thought they were in single a but division 2 which  was basically the same thing as 2a I think. Some of the other guys on here would know for sure.

Agreed!  Grayson was 1A-Division 2 in 1998 and was never Division 1.  They would have never had the opportunity to play Narrows or Pocahontas in the postseason.  Grayson's enrollment in the late 90's would have been in the neighborhood of 700.  Virginia DOE statistics suggest an enrollment of 675 in 2003-2004, which is the farthest the statistics go back on the VADOE website.

23 is enough, shame on them. Just  more of the "if everything's not perfect don't do it" mindset. Those seniors had 1 more opportunity to play and it was taken from them. 

I didn't know Goochland moved up, that takes some of the bite out of the other side of the AA bracket. Goochland is a fine program 

Unaka did this in the TSSAA playoffs a few years ago and the TSSAA placed all it's sports teams on probation and banned them from the postseason in every sport and fined them! Anxious to see if the VHSL does anything to Warren County. Unaka appealed and the postseason ban was lifted for the others sports.

I go back and forth on whether there should be a penalty or not.  If the kids dont want to play then so be it, let another team step in but if its coaches saying "were not going to go and be embarrassed" thats a totally different story. I dont think I would ban other sports from postseason play over it though.

8 hours ago, SW_VA_boy said:

I remember in 98, Narrows had 17 and split the MED with Pocahontas.  While Grayson was the largest school single A school in the state at the time.

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Narrows split the MED with Grayson County in 1998, not Pocahontas.  Pocahontas lost regular season district games to Fort Chiswell (25-10), Grayson County (28-14), and Galax (15-14).  They beat Narrows 36-28 while Narrows beat Grayson County 12-7.  Grayson and Narrows finished with one loss in district play each while Pocahontas lost 3 district contests. Pacahontas would lose to Covington in round 1 of the D1 playoffs 31-6.  Narrows beat Galax in the opening round of the playoffs 8-0 and lost to Covington the following week 41-8.  Grayson lost to Giles in the opening round of the D2 playoffs 28-21.

Credit to FourSeasonsFootball.com for score verification!

Agreed!  Grayson was 1A-Division 2 in 1998 and was never Division 1.  They would have never had the opportunity to play Narrows or Pocahontas in the postseason.  Grayson's enrollment in the late 90's would have been in the neighborhood of 700.  Virginia DOE statistics suggest an enrollment of 675 in 2003-2004, which is the farthest the statistics go back on the VADOE website.

Pocahontas won the MED in 1997, which I think was the first year they joined 

With regards to Warren County, there is more going on behind the scenes at that school this year. The decision was made more by kids quitting the team and/or just not wanting to play this week. Sad situation all around....

1 minute ago, EH31 said:

Pocahontas won the MED in 1997, which I think was the first year they joined 

That was my brothers senior season.  Grayson beat Pocahontas head to head but the game was later awarded to Pocahontas by forfeit.  Grayson got a summer transfer from Alleghany, NC who, as it turned out, shouldn't have been eligible.  Grayson's head coach/athletic director dropped the ball in doing his due diligence in verifying the kids eligibility with the VHSL.  Grayson had gone 6-4 in the regular season and 5-0 in the MED and lost 28-7 to Radford in the opening round of the D2 playoffs.  They ultimately finished 0-11 after the forfeits.

Warrenton VA is the home of Fauquier High, and located in Fauquier County.. It's where former Bluefield Beavers Coach John Chimara (pardon the spelling) coached after leaving Bluefield.  Warren County High is located in Front Royal, VA, and Warren County borders Fauquier County, VA.