#8 team in 3A decides not to play.

Real Sasquatch

4 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

I don't see the problem. Sure some bad teams get in, but why not let those kids have that extra game? And maybe they pull the massive upset.

I agree with you, everyone on here loves football so it's an extra game we can see also.  The only downfall is if someone gets hurt.

7 minutes ago, Optimal62 said:

I would much rather have 8 teams per region and the chance of losing record team get in than a team like George Wythe in 92 who didn't get in after going 9-1. 

Upsets happen  2017 - 6 seed Grayson County traveled to 3 Ridgeview and pulled the upset. 

grayson may pull of an upset tonight against narrows

1 hour ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

4 teams per region make the playoffs, problem solved. No 2A team in Virginia seeded 5th or lower has ever won a state title since Virginia expanded from 3 levels of play to 6 levels of play back in 1986.

I would wager that for all teams statewide for all 6 levels 1A through 6A, the number of teams winning state titles that were 5th seed or worse has not happened more than 10 times. I know Appy at 5-5 and even Salem a couple of years back were 5-5 and I imagine these teams were 5th seed or lower, but still it's the exception to the rule. This is why 4 teams making the playoffs per region is perfect. Yes, it would mean Richland's would be staying home this year, but again, how likely are they to win a state title this year? It's incredibly unlikely.

Now, will the VHSL change and subtract to 6 or 4 teams? No chance. 

That’s kind of a finicky measure.  For 23 of those seasons, no team seeded 5th or lower could win, because all regions only allowed 4 playoff berths.  Then for the next 6 seasons, the playoffs were split into an E-W system (N-S for 5A and 6A), which seeded teams 1-16.  #10 seeded Blacksburg won the 2016 3A title.  In 3C, a #16 upset a #1 as well.  Just in the last 4 seasons have we had the current 1-8 format per region (except for Region B, which does 1-6), and no, it has not happened since then.

Craig County maybe has 20 players if that. I can’t put my finger on it but regardless of the result of what the game would be, I am sure the community here in New Castle would be excited. 

On 11/15/2019 at 4:01 PM, goose111874 said:

I agree with you, everyone on here loves football so it's an extra game we can see also.  The only downfall is if someone gets hurt.

This. Why do people want LESS football? A bad football game is better than a good night of being bored watching TV on a Friday night. 

12 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

This. Why do people want LESS football?

If we’re not careful, we won’t have any football!  We already have a game where a defender can’t breath on a QB.

The mother of a Grayson athlete works in my office.  The Tuesday following Grayson’s 57-0 drubbing at the hands of Galax, she said to me.....”if everybody can’t have NFL players coaching and teaching weight training, nobody should be able to! It’s not fair for Galax to cheat like that.  They are too big and too strong to bully those poor Grayson kids that way!”

If you think these mothers don’t carry weight in the changing of the game at every level, you’re naive! Just saying, I don’t agree with it but it’s the changing landscape of the world we live in!

4 hours ago, sixcat said:

If we’re not careful, we won’t have any football!  We already have a game where a defender can’t breath on a QB.

The mother of a Grayson athlete works in my office.  The Tuesday following Grayson’s 57-0 drubbing at the hands of Galax, she said to me.....”if everybody can’t have NFL players coaching and teaching weight training, nobody should be able to! It’s not fair for Galax to cheat like that.  They are too big and too strong to bully those poor Grayson kids that way!”

If you think these mothers don’t carry weight in the changing of the game at every level, you’re naive! Just saying, I don’t agree with it but it’s the changing landscape of the world we live in!

Wow....I'm sure if Dixon was at Grayson she wouldn't have a problem with it.