1st round surprises?

Long Legged Turd Cutter

I honestly think their could be a few upsets in the Region 2D.  Richlands and Central will be a good game, Richlands has improved over the season and Central has too, and from what I hear they are all healthy. This game could turn into a dog fight and could go either way in my opinion.  I also see Union having a tough game against Gate City.  Everybody is gunning to stop Polier, and with some injuries that the Bears have it could make for a very interesting game.  We all know Union's Defense is very stingy against the run, but if a team can complete a few passes and get something going through the air, it could be a long Friday night at Bullitt Park.  

In Region 1D, Can Patrick Henry finally make something happen and come out with a State Championship?  I really don't see any upsets this week, although we never know how things will go, especially this time of year.  

Good Luck to all the teams competing in the playoffs this year, and I hope and pray we have a good Friday and Saturday of good clean football, and no injuries for any players involved!

PH has no shot. No offense to anyone, but the only team in 1A with a realistic shot at Riverheads is Galax.

Riverheads dismantled the top team in 2A Region B last week, they would be a threat to win the 2A title. I thought Chilhowie was better last year than PH this year and Riverheads was slightly worse and Warriors got routed.

5 hours ago, BigWinners said:

PH has no shot. No offense to anyone, but the only team in 1A with a realistic shot at Riverheads is Galax.

Riverheads dismantled the top team in 2A Region B last week, they would be a threat to win the 2A title. I thought Chilhowie was better last year than PH this year and Riverheads was slightly worse and Warriors got routed.

since they should be playing in 2A it only makes sense

15 hours ago, footballfanatic said:

most kids there that will be the highlight of their lives

Peaking in high school isn't something to be proud or envious of in my opinion!   

With that said, Riverheads is on another level than anyone else in Class 1, including Galax.  I think Galax can beat them this season given this may be the best team Dixon has fielded.  But they will need help from Riverheads in order to complete that task.  Helping opponents is something Casto/Norcross coached teams rarely do so, good luck with that.  I know Dixon and Company are up for the challenge though.  Dixon lead teams won't back down or shy away from anyone.

2 hours ago, swvafbrespect said:

Don't hate greatness they are on a different level and have a great program. 

I was being facetious....thanks though. 

Everyone gets on here and talks about their ADM numbers.  Maybe there is some truth to it, since their enrollment stays at 476 every single year?  Sounds a little suspicious to me. 

Now on to the surprises.  Eastside could surprise Holston second time around.  I know most people think Holston wins, could be a better game this time around.  Can Castlewood hang around to the end vs. Burton?  

15 minutes ago, falconfan1 said:

I was being facetious....thanks though. 

Everyone gets on here and talks about their ADM numbers.  Maybe there is some truth to it, since their enrollment stays at 476 every single year?  Sounds a little suspicious to me. 

When is the next round of reclassification in Virginia?

Coming up in 23?...I have heard reports of combining 1A and 2A again.  Not sure how true that is.

https://www.vhsl.org/alignment/alignmentdistrictregion-table/

I think an easy fix is:

1-450 ADM = A  = 51 schools

451-800 ADM = AA  60 schools

800-1200 ADM = AAA 55 schools

1200-1600 ADM = AAAA 48 schools 

1600-2000 ADM = AAAAA 53 schools

2000 and over = AAAAAA  47 schools

1 hour ago, falconfan1 said:

Coming up in 23?...I have heard reports of combining 1A and 2A again.  Not sure how true that is.

I think an easy fix is:

Curious how it would effect your A and AA numbers if it was 500-501 instead of 450-451?

10 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Curious how it would effect your A and AA numbers if it was 500-501 instead of 450-451?

According to the 2018 ADM figures, 4 schools would move from the AA total to the A total.  A would be 55 and AA would be 56.  Those four schools would be Brunswick, Buffalo Gap, Fort Chiswell and Stonewall Jackson Quicksburg.

4 hours ago, falconfan1 said:

I think an easy fix is:

i like that

On 11/12/2019 at 2:46 PM, BigWinners said:

agreed Riverheads will win it again PH is good for 1D I would be surprised if they made it to Salem at all with Galax standing in there way. I think Union and GC is interesting #45 for GC is a pretty darn good line backer and so is the Polier kid I would expect a lot of good collisions there if GC can slow it down they have a chance. I dont think Wise is going to be afraid of that R on the side of the helmet considering they took down Union. Richlands had 2 of the best interior D lineman I've seen all year and Sage Webb is a game changer. Mance will have a plan but Richlands has had early exits before with good teams. 

On 11/13/2019 at 1:09 PM, sixcat said:

Peaking in high school isn't something to be proud or envious of in my opinion!   

With that said, Riverheads is on another level than anyone else in Class 1, including Galax.  I think Galax can beat them this season given this may be the best team Dixon has fielded.  But they will need help from Riverheads in order to complete that task.  Helping opponents is something Casto/Norcross coached teams rarely do so, good luck with that.  I know Dixon and Company are up for the challenge though.  Dixon lead teams won't back down or shy away from anyone.

Galax has a shot yes but they have not played as tough a schedule as they have in the past. They replaced Radford with a winless Martinsville. The Region is way down. It is easier to get to state since they do not cross bracket. They are good but not close to the best team Dixon has fielded. The 2011 team was the best the 2014 and 2015 team were very good. In my opinion they seemed to have a lot more weapons last year but they are getting better QB play this year. They should easily make it to state Chilhowie graduated 22 Seniors. Can they hang with Riverheads like they did in 2015? Only time will tell.

10 hours ago, littlegiants said:

Galax has a shot yes but they have not played as tough a schedule as they have in the past. They replaced Radford with a winless Martinsville. The Region is way down. It is easier to get to state since they do not cross bracket. They are good but not close to the best team Dixon has fielded. The 2011 team was the best the 2014 and 2015 team were very good. In my opinion they seemed to have a lot more weapons last year but they are getting better QB play this year. They should easily make it to state Chilhowie graduated 22 Seniors. Can they hang with Riverheads like they did in 2015? Only time will tell.

They didn't drop Radford by choice.  Radford's head coach chose not to renew the series.  One win in six tries with an average score of 40-16 does that, I suppose.  Replacing Radford isn't as easy as one would think for a school like Galax.  First, you need a willing opponent with an open date for an out-of-district game.  Second, the "willing opponent" component of that equation isn't very simple for a school like Galax and a head coach like Mark Dixon.  As was famously said about Bear Bryant, "he can take his'n and beat your'n and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n!"  

The Martinsville series doesn't look very solid right now but give it another year or two.  They have had four head coaches in six seasons.  They just need some continuity.  The JV has some talent.  They were the only team to score more than 6 points against Galax's JV's all season.  Unless you count Martinsville's varsity, which scored three times against the Galax JV's on a Friday night in September.  It's rumored, Dixon and Palmer are building toward a series in the near future but some previously scheduled home-and-home series have to conclude first.

I'm curious, how many Galax games have you attended in person this season?  How about past seasons?  

59 minutes ago, sixcat said:

They didn't drop Radford by choice.  Radford's head coach chose not to renew the series.  One win in six tries with an average score of 40-16 does that, I suppose.  Replacing Radford isn't as easy as one would think for a school like Galax.  First, you need a willing opponent with an open date for an out-of-district game.  Second, the "willing opponent" component of that equation isn't very simple for a school like Galax and a head coach like Mark Dixon.  As was famously said about Bear Bryant, "he can take his'n and beat your'n and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n!"  

The Martinsville series doesn't look very solid right now but give it another year or two.  They have had four head coaches in six seasons.  They just need some continuity.  The JV has some talent.  They were the only team to score more than 6 points against Galax's JV's all season.  Unless you count Martinsville's varsity, which scored three times against the Galax JV's on a Friday night in September.  It's rumored, Dixon and Palmer are building toward a series in the near future but some previously scheduled home-and-home series have to conclude first.

I'm curious, how many Galax games have you attended in person this season?  How about past seasons?  

I agree Radford was not chose by Galax to drop. I am just not sure how good this team is compared to teams in the past.  Most of their schedule the teams were down Glenvar has 3 losses. They used to play Graham Giles etc. I usually watch on average 5 regular season games and then playoffs depending on the match up. I have watched them a lot since 2010. This season I went to 4 games. They are good no doubt but as an observer they do not seem to have a lot of line depth and speed like they had last year. But their QB is playing great. They are good not saying that and this should be the year to get there. Region C they are king and Region D should not be a problem. 

1 hour ago, littlegiants said:

I agree Radford was not chose by Galax to drop. I am just not sure how good this team is compared to teams in the past.  Most of their schedule the teams were down Glenvar has 3 losses. They used to play Graham Giles etc. I usually watch on average 5 regular season games and then playoffs depending on the match up. I have watched them a lot since 2010. This season I went to 4 games. They are good no doubt but as an observer they do not seem to have a lot of line depth and speed like they had last year. But their QB is playing great. They are good not saying that and this should be the year to get there. Region C they are king and Region D should not be a problem. 

The QB is playing great.  He has a tendency to short-arm some throws but when he is "on", he is tremendous.  He also has a great stable of RB's, WR corp and OL to help him look great.  The effortless way they score points is unrivaled since that 2011 team.  Dixon even said so himself in today's newspaper! 

If you go to any games in the future, I will be sitting in the top row, directly behind the band wearing "Buddy Holley" glasses.  Can't miss me!