Top 5 qbs in SWVA

Hokie777

Not familiar with enough of the QB's across SWVA to list a top 5. 

Cole Pickett of Galax has 93 completions from 161 attempts for 1,734 yards, 27 TD's and 6 INT's through 9 games.  

The Simmons kid from George Wythe is also an exceptional high school QB.  Not sure of his season stats.

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

I'd probably take Pickett, Simmons, Lester, Cade Simmons and maybe the QB from Burton?

Burtons QB is Jaymen Buchannon. Great athlete and only a Freshmen. Ethan Mullins from Central is also a good young one, doesnt get many chances to throw the ball in that offense but hes a fine runner.

Lester is clearly #1 imo, not a strong year for QBs locally

1 hour ago, redtiger said:

Burtons QB is Jaymen Buchannon. Great athlete and only a Freshmen. Ethan Mullins from Central is also a good young one, doesnt get many chances to throw the ball in that offense but hes a fine runner.

Lester is clearly #1 imo, not a strong year for QBs locally

Jayman is a good athlete. He's a Soph. Leads the team I think with 5 of the 20+ INT's this year.

3 minutes ago, Michael_389 said:

Jayman is a good athlete. He's a Soph. Leads the team I think with 5 of the 20+ INT's this year.

My Mistake on Buchannons grade. Hes a very dangerous runner right now, in the next few years as he develops as a QB he could be one of the all time best at JIB.

Cole Simmons of George Wythe would have to be right at the top. He has  2075 yds passing with only 1 int. (that one being a "Hail Mary" at the close of the first half against Galax).

Cole also has 15 passing TD's and has rushed for over 679 yds. in just 9 games.  

I dont know stats for sure this list is for the most part an eye test

1. Simmons GW this kid is lights out and by far the best true QB in the region even if you cover well he is capable of breaking a 40 yard scramble

2. Lester Graham - one of the top athletes in SWVA. He is playing out of position at QB that is the only reason he is 2 on the list

3. Simmons Richlands- Mance has a great system and this kid has learned it as the year has gone on. It doesnt hurt that he has the webb kid to throw it up to

4. Thomas VA High- I know he is a running back but he does catch the snap for them more times than not. If this kids was on any other team he would be an all state kid for sure. If he can get some help look out he could be future POY in the southwest district

5. Pickett Galax- I havnt seen him play but they stats yall keep throwing up are pretty darn impressive. 

2 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

When Mullins let's him air it out, Ridgeviews QB Phillips is fantastic. Good enough arm and a great playmaker.

Lester is for sure up there, but he's still projecting as a WR or DB going forward. He's not the most natural QB.

Phillips is solid and was really starting to look good as the season pregeressed he should be back in the game this Friday and I hope he picks up where he left off vs Abingdon and he makes the Ridgeview hit another level

2 hours ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Lester is BY FAR, not even a little bit, the best High School QB in SWVA regardless of what he's projected as by the recruiting services. He's very accurate and an incredible athlete and runner. He can take over a game.because of that Div 1 athletisicm.

Agree.

Here is some stats that was in the roanoke times today. Simmons and Picket are certainly in the top 5 IMO 

I would love to see some stats on some of the others in Region D like Lester from Graham. 

C-A-I-----TD-----PCT-----Yards 

Simmons, G.Wythe-----103-162-1-----15-----63.6-----2075

Pickett, Galax-----93-161-6-----27-----57.8-----1734

Wolk, Glenvar-----89-162-9-----12-----54.9-----1533

Blake Narrows ---65-108-2-----15-----60.2-----1187

Dalton, Carroll Co.-----73-135-5-----11-----54.1-----1051

Tate, Marion-----81-148-8-----9-----54.7-----987

L.Adams, Chilhowie-----54-117-9-----14-----46.2-----982

7 hours ago, Counts said:

Phillips is solid and was really starting to look good as the season pregeressed he should be back in the game this Friday and I hope he picks up where he left off vs Abingdon and he makes the Ridgeview hit another level

When you have a weapon like Hess on the outside (as well as Adkins out of the backfield), you would be foolish to not get the ball in space.

Hess may be best WR I've seen all year, him and Webb.

Glad to see you around Counts, stick around.

The stats on Lester would be misleading.

He has played three complete games out of 10 and for the rest of them, just about 1 qtr.

If memory serves me correctly, he played all of Bluefield, Union which is 8 qtrs. Played 3 qtrs against Giles and 2 qtrs against Princeton and the other 6 games, all 1 qtr. He's played out of 40 quarters or 10 games, a total of approximately 19 quarters. Let's round that to 20 quarters which is literally a total of about 5 full games. Lester has really, on the field, played about 1/2 of a regular season.

Take all the QBs in discussion in this thread and take each QBs numbers and divide those numbers by the total quarters played and I promise you, Lester comes out on top in both rushing and passing by a lot.

I’ve only watched a few. But would have to go with Pickett and Simmons from GW. Simmons stats are up there but the times I’ve seen them play it looks like his pass plays are predetermined, if it’s not there he’s looking to take off. I have seen him make a few plays outside of the pocket. Pickett calls the offense from the line of scrimmage and I’ve seen him go through his progression and have real patience in the pocket. Would like to see the kid from Burton and Narrows. 

46 minutes ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

He has played three complete games out of 10 and for the rest of them, just about 1 qtr.

If memory serves me correctly, he played all of Bluefield, Union which is 8 qtrs. Played 3 qtrs against Giles and 2 qtrs against Princeton and the other 6 games, all 1 qtr. He's played out of 40 quarters or 10 games, a total of approximately 19 quarters. Let's round that to 20 quarters which is literally a total of about 5 full games. Lester has really, on the field, played about 1/2 of a regular season.

Take all the QBs in discussion in this thread and take each QBs numbers and divide those numbers by the total quarters played and I promise you, Lester comes out on top in both rushing and passing by a lot.

That was the case with John-Luke from a Richlands those two years. He had crazy numbers that won him PoY, but he only played under half of the quarters he could. Kid could have broken records all over the place if Mance was Simon. 

2 hours ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Very valid points. I would still like to see his completion percentage and TD's to attempt ratio.  I am. In no way saying this to compare him to the others, I am a numbers guy that enjoys stats