M7 > SWD

Burrall’s Pearls

16 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Gonna be really funny when a SWD team comes out of this fracas as the Region champion.

I would say “if” at this point. If that happens then yippee! If not, I’ll still cheer for our 2D Champion! 

29 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Ladies and Gentlemen, what we have here is a glorified pissing match 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 Aim for the Cheerios boys, aim for the Cheerios! 

No what we have here is a troll trying to give SWD some fuel for the fire. No you but Burrell's Pearls.

9 hours ago, graham32 said:

Hmm. When was the last time anyone from M7 won a state championship?

Union golf won state this year. Union cross country is competing in state today. We had 2 from swimming win it all. Our volleyball team is playing in the quarterfinals today. 
Central girls basketball has won state last year. Maybe they won something for One Act too as well. 

There’s other sports and teams away from Graham. 

6 minutes ago, CriticalNoise said:

Union golf won state this year. Union cross country is competing in state today. 
Central girls basketball has won state last year. 

I think it’s pretty obvious we’re talking about football here considering this is the SWVA football forum.

4 hours ago, CriticalNoise said:

Union golf won state this year. Union cross country is competing in state today. We had 2 from swimming win it all. Our volleyball team is playing in the quarterfinals today. 
Central girls basketball has won state last year. Maybe they won something for One Act too as well. 

Buddy this is a football thread. Nice try. 

The best team in the AFC is probably New England but that doesn't mean the AFC East doesn't stink.

Graham winning the region only proves Graham is the best team, not that the SWD is better. This is a dumb discussion bc it doesn't really matter, but on the whole this year the M7 was considerably better.

The reason the entire thread is useless is because there really is no such thing as districts anymore in High School Football. There is meaning as to who you have to play, but district champions no longer automatically make the playoffs. They are absolutely meaningless in High School Football.

19 hours ago, graham32 said:

Hmm. When was the last time anyone from M7 won a state championship?

Considering the M7 is a MUCH newer distric.....:) In seriousness the Bears really missed a shot in 17

2 hours ago, BigWinners said:

The best team in the AFC is probably New England but that doesn't mean the AFC East doesn't stink.

Graham winning the region only proves Graham is the best team, not that the SWD is better. This is a dumb discussion bc it doesn't really matter, but on the whole this year the M7 was considerably better.

BINGO!

On 11/16/2019 at 1:39 PM, graham32 said:

Buddy this is a football thread. Nice try. 

Correct. It’s a football thread. This whole argument is kinda moot. But going back to 1970 and looking at Richlands, Marion, graham, Tazwell, lebanon and Haysi (couldn’t remember if they were in the SWD). The SWD has 6 state titles. The M7 is a renamed LPD. Appalachia high school has 6 titles alone. Throw in PV’s 8, clintwood’s 4 and JJ Kelly and norton each with 1, that brings it to 20. 

These are rough state I quickly got from the four seasons page.  

Yes norton is the only one open still. But the history of the M7/LPD owns this little argument. It’s all for kicks and giggles. 

Safe travels graham. We will see y’all Friday night. 

47 minutes ago, Ol Dawg said:

Yes norton is the only one open still. But the history of the M7/LPD owns this little argument. It’s all for kicks and giggles. 

Doesn't own anything. The old SWD teams played at a higher classification and the competition much tougher. Sometimes you had 4A schools in the old SWD compared to many 1A schools in the old Lonesome Pine.  The LPD schools were playing at their size/enrollments. The old SWD was playing AA ball in the 70s through the mid 80s when there was 3 classifications and these teams should have been Single A, and when we went to six classifications in 86, the same was happening as many played 3A and 4A and the schools were traditionally, at the lowest end of enrollment statewide for their classification.

If I'm not mistaken GC was in the SWD in 1974 when they won their second title and maybe in the old Highlands District in 97. These SWD teams were battling historical powerhouses in the playoffs teams like Blacksburg, Salem, Martinsville in the 70-80s, Jefferson Forest, Rustburg and oh yeah...Giles. meanwhile, the LPD was battling it out with Parry McCluer, Madison County, and Bath Co. 

PV had some battles over a solid team and I will give them that in Central of Lunenberg. That program was legit, but PV had three losing seasons in a row the year before consolidation and it's last title in 98ish, and Appy didn't have a winning season in it's final 3 yrs before consolidation and it's last title in 1997. That's been over 20 years. There's no question in my mind that Richland's, GC, Graham, and even Giles (dropped years before) has put a dent in those historical titles for the old LPD programs of which are nearly all consolidated.. All of a sudden, as Union has surely felt, the road to getting to the title game is incredibly more difficult. Union may have had the best team in 2017, but that's what makes it tough with the restructuring in classifications. Graham I can assure was the best team in 3A on 2 occasions it didn't win it, buy at that level of competition, you can easily lose. Same for Richland's in 93 and 2010 in my opinion, but was banned from the 4A playoffs in 93. What Union has experienced is much like what Graham and Richland's have experienced for years minus Graham's 10 year abscence from football for the latter 2000s through the mid 2010-20 decade.

22 minutes ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Doesn't own anything. The old SWD teams played at a higher classification and the competition much tougher. Sometimes you had 4A schools in the old SWD compared to many 1A schools in the old Lonesome Pine.  The LPD schools were playing at their size/enrollments. The old SWD was playing AA ball in the 70s through the mid 80s when there was 3 classifications and these teams should have been Single A, and when we went to six classifications in 86, the same was happening as many played 3A and 4A and the schools were traditionally, at the lowest end of enrollment statewide for their classification.

If I'm not mistaken GC was in the SWD in 1974 when they won their second title and maybe in the old Highlands District in 97. These SWD teams were battling historical powerhouses in the playoffs teams like Blacksburg, Salem, Martinsville in the 70-80s, Jefferson Forest, Rustburg and oh yeah...Giles. meanwhile, the LPD was battling it out with Parry McCluer, Madison County, and Bath Co. 

PV had some battles over a solid team and I will give them that in Central of Lunenberg. That program was legit, but PV had three losing seasons in a row the year before consolidation and it's last title in 98ish, and Appy didn't have a winning season in it's final 3 yrs before consolidation and it's last title in 1997. That's been over 20 years. There's no question in my mind that Richland's, GC, Graham, and even Giles (dropped years before) has put a dent in those historical titles for the old LPD programs of which are nearly all consolidated.. All of a sudden, as Union has surely felt, the road to getting to the title game is incredibly more difficult. Union may have had the best team in 2017, but that's what makes it tough with the restructuring in classifications. Graham I can assure was the best team in 3A on 2 occasions it didn't win it, buy at that level of competition, you can easily lose. Same for Richland's in 93 and 2010 in my opinion, but was banned from the 4A playoffs in 93. What Union has experienced is much like what Graham and Richland's have experienced for years minus Graham's 10 year abscence from football for the latter 2000s through the mid 2010-20 decade.

I won’t disagree with most of this. Well layed out info here. 

I was just adding to the “my daddy can beat up your daddy” discussion lol. 

38 minutes ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Giles? PV played Giles five times from 95-2006 and was 3-2. In GCs state title in AA in 97, they lost to both A champs Div 1 Appalachia and D2 PV. 

2 hours ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

PV/Union has made the playoffs every year for the last 28 years. Knocking the football in BSG is laughable. As for the whole classification line, if you think anyone was beating PV in 95/97/98 in A or AA I’ll take whatever you’re smoking. 

Graham is the most complete team in the region hands down. Ridgeview is going to get beat by anyone that can tackle 6 and complete a hitch because that pass defense is not great for a 1 seed. Wise Central has hit their stride they are a good team and they did beat a down Richlands team by their standards. GC and Union are tough hard nose teams that play football like "the good old days". But Battle and Lee?? The top side of the M7 is better with the exception of Graham but the bottom is the same. Plus as long as Abingdon is in the M7 any team that can beat them is going to out point a team with a similar record in the Southwest. 

As for the M7 being better than the SWD..... Virginia High didn’t tuck their tails and head north to play Richlands, Graham, Tazewell and Marion on longer road trips so their players could take in the culture of far north SW Virginia.  Especially when Battle is like 5 minutes away, Gate City is 30 min away and Abingdon i is 15 min away.  That is the definition of tucking tail and running right there. 

57 minutes ago, BlueDevil4Life2008 said:

As for the M7 being better than the SWD..... Virginia High didn’t tuck their tails and head north to play Richlands, Graham, Tazewell and Marion on longer road trips so their players could take in the culture of far north SW Virginia.  Especially when Battle is like 5 minutes away, Gate City is 30 min away and Abingdon i is 15 min away.  That is the definition of tucking tail and running right there. 

It's about the baseball my friend. 

56 minutes ago, BlueDevil4Life2008 said:

Virginia High still plays Battle and Abingdon, so I'm not sure what this post is trying to prove.  That being said, (1) this is Central's first truly good year since consolidation; (2) it's the first year that Gate City hasn't been a tire fire since 2013; (3) Battle has been the definition of mediocre since that wild 2012 run; and (4) Lee is Lee.  This is the first year in a long, long time the M7 has had quality depth.  Pretty much, the M7 was virtually this year's SWD for a number of years, and now that the tables have turned slightly in this ONE season, they can't help but crow about it.  We'll see which district is still standing on November 30th.