Graham vs Union Part 2

Gridiron60

13 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Appo is good but they aren't in same league as Pikeville, c'mon be real. If it plays out and Ridgeview plays Appomattox, it's a toss up game. Acting as if RV wouldn't have a shot is silly. It's a coin flip. 

Appo IS ABSOLUTELY in the same league as Pikeville.  Who in the world are you kidding.  3 out of 4 AA titles with a chance to make it 4 out of 5 in Virginia.   Yes, they are very much in the same league as Pikeville.  The problem for so many SWVA football teams is, they don't see a true spread air attack offense very often, and when they do (like Ridgeview vs Pikeville), the hinges come off.  Another example is how close Paintsvile played Pikeville, and Union about beating Paintsville.  It's because a team like Paintsville has seen that type of offense and is used to it.  

11 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Thank you for this.  Pikeville would beat Graham by at least 30.

And that statement right there, shows the knowledge level of being tucked in a little tiny corner of far SWVA.  You see a passing air attack wide open offense, and to you, it looks like the greatest High School Football team to every play in the area, lol.  I submit to you, Graham wouldn't lose by 30 plus points to Pikeville.

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

Graham has a hard time with Pollier (I believe that’s him) the first go around. He just drove through them with what seemed like little effort. They’d be on him & he’d.drag them along and get another few yards. The defense is much improved since that first meeting but GMen have to find a way to shut him down better than the regular season game. Graham’s offensive arsenal has done well with several different playmakers. Lester makes a lot but he’s not the only one making TDs. 

Both of Graham’s stud LBs were injured during that first Union game.  Yes they played but not at 100%.  Neither should’ve probably played that game but they did.  Graham has been a team that clicks later in the season.  I look for a score like last year.  If union plays pass defense like they did against Great City it could be worse.

7 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Must be nice to play a s%!t schedule and claim to be the greatest team in the league. I hope the same Union team that showed up in Bluefield shows up Friday night and whoops the G men's a$$es all the way back to Bluefield.

I'm not sure what, "the greatest team in the league," means. If talking about the greatest team In Region D for 2019, we will find out. Regardless of what you feel about Graham's schedule, all of the other teams in Region D are playing in a tournament against each other and the regular season schedule is in the past. The Region D tournament is right now. Let's see what happens.

2 hours ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Appo IS ABSOLUTELY in the same league as Pikeville.  Who in the world are you kidding.  3 out of 4 AA titles with a chance to make it 4 out of 5 in Virginia.   Yes, they are very much in the same league as Pikeville.  The problem for so many SWVA football teams is, they don't see a true spread air attack offense very often, and when they do (like Ridgeview vs Pikeville), the hinges come off.  Another example is how close Paintsvile played Pikeville, and Union about beating Paintsville.  It's because a team like Paintsville has seen that type of offense and is used to it.  

No, they arent. For one, Appo doesn't run that type of offense, never have. Have you actually saw them play? They were a predominant run team for the longest time. They are nothing like Pikeville. 3/4 titles means nothing when talking about this year. This season. Appo lost to a 2A team this year,.they aren't some unstoppable juggernaut. 

Believe what you want, but you'll see if they match up.

There are some on here making big brags and boasts about their teams, some who never played a down as a starter, some living in the past ( Appomattox) you should really not talk about past champions because PV and Appalachia have 14 state titles , The GMen have several and Ridgeview - Clintwood has what 4 or 5 so take that little number 3 and brag to the Central Va teams .... but wait you can’t do that because Riverheads rules that area . The games will be played on the field and I promiss you one thing whomever wins region D will win state and all of us will be pulling for them

19 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

No, they arent. For one, Appo doesn't run that type of offense, never have. Have you actually saw them play? They were a predominant run team for the longest time. They are nothing like Pikeville. 3/4 titles means nothing when talking about this year. This season. Appo lost to a 2A team this year,.they aren't some unstoppable juggernaut. 

Believe what you want, but you'll see if they match up.

We disagree. Let's leave it at that. I've seen Appo play, and I'm talking about Appo seeing wide open offenses more than SWVA teams. I wasn't referring to Appo's offense, but you didn't read through post.  Pikeville beat Paintsville 7-6. Paintsville probably should have lost to Union. Pikeville is fallable. Kentucky football at Pikeville level is not close to VA football at Pikeville level. A team that is familiar with Pikeville offense held them to 7 point, and Union nearly beat that team. If Appo and Pikeville played, Appo would be right there with em and to say Appo isn't on their level is flat out wrong in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

We disagree. Let's leave it at that. I've seen Appo play, and I'm talking about Appo seeing wide open offenses more than SWVA teams. I wasn't referring to Appo's offense, but you didn't read through post.  Pikeville beat Paintsville 7-6. Paintsville probably should have lost to Union. Pikeville is fallable. Kentucky football at Pikeville level is not close to VA football at Pikeville level. A team that is familiar with Pikeville offense held them to 7 point, and Union nearly beat that team. If Appo and Pikeville played, Appo would be right there with em and to say Appo isn't on their level is flat out wrong in my opinion.

Transient property does not apply in most sports

The pantsville team that played union was missing several key players in that game. The ridgeview team that got smacked by pikeville was down a couple of key players. And ridgeview went toe to toe with them for a half...with the teams left in play anyone can knock off anyone there are no st Mary's of the blind left on anyone's schedule 

9 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

Oh yeah if Appomattox is King of central va why don’t they  Play Riverheads????or Galax ???just asking....for a friend that says Riverheads has begged Appomattox for years for a game

Appo has been King of all of VA at the 2A level for 3 out of 4 years and that's a fact. Appo played RE Lee in the state title game in 2017. That Lee team beat Riverheads by 2 TDs. In 2016, Appo played and beat Richland's who beat Stuart's Draft who beat Riverheads in regular season. In 2019, Glenvar lost by 2 TDs to Riverheads and Glenvar lost by 3 to Galax. Watch and see what happens this coming weekend when Glenvar plays Appo. Appo this year is much like Graham last year. They have come out of nowhere to improve by leaps and bounds and they just aren't anything close to the beginning of the season.

12 minutes ago, Counts said:

Transient property does not apply in most sports

CalPreps uses transitive property theory to calculate predictions that are over 90 percent accurate, purely on scores of all teams and opponents. Transitive Property when applied correctly, can be very accurate.

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

Must be nice to play a s%!t schedule and claim to be the greatest team in the league. I hope the same Union team that showed up in Bluefield shows up Friday night and whoops the G men's a$$es all the way back to Bluefield.

Just a factual point, the majority of the less than stellar teams Graham played this year were district games that they have no control over. Regular season means squat now, it’s win or go home. If Union wins and ends up in the state playoffs, I’ll gladly cheer them on because that’s what loyal Region D fans do. I’m betting if Graham goes on, most of the Union posters on here will be cheering on the GMen. PSA: It’s called “Adulting 101” 😂😂

49 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

some living in the past ( Appomattox) 

Dude, no offense, but are you nuts? Living in the past as in Appo. They are burying teams the last 7 games and are an incredible 2A football team. I'm telling you right now, if.....a big IF we are fortunate enough to win this region, Appo will be considered the favorite over Graham playing at Appo. I would favor them myself. They are playing at that kind of level right now and certainly they are not living in the past. For the next 3 years, they are loaded with talent by the way.

10 minutes ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

CalPreps uses transitive property theory to calculate predictions that are over 90 percent accurate, purely on scores of all teams and opponents. Transitive Property when applied correctly, can be very accurate.

It should without a doubt go into the mix but lots of other stuff play a much larger role in any 1 particular game

Everyone is giving Appomattox the crown because the last 4 or 5 years, those guys are gone.  And hasn't everyone mentioned how weak region C is this year.  They've got a great program but the past means nothing for this season.

Being a big fan of Appo for many years and watching them thru thick and thin i have to say some people have over hyped my Raiders. Yes we lost to Buckingham, no excuses from me they were the better team that night at that time. Appo is a young team same as last year, alot of growing to do yet. Smaller sqaud than past few years so staying healthy is pinnacle. My honest opinion Appo will win region C. After that im scared to try to guess. Too many things can go wrong and being young pressure could get them like it did last year.

10 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Everyone is giving Appomattox the crown because the last 4 or 5 years, those guys are gone.  And hasn't everyone mentioned how weak region C is this year.  They've got a great program but the past means nothing for this season.

Who is giving them the crown? I'm not. I'm just saying at this point in the season, they are a very good 2A team that is very, very capable of beating the Region D winner when considering there's a chance it could be on Appo's home field if Ridgeview does not win Region D. 

2 minutes ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Who is giving them the crown? I'm not. I'm just saying at this point in the season, they are a very good 2A team that is very, very capable of beating the Region D winner when considering there's a chance it could be on Appo's home field if Ridgeview does not win Region D. 

I agree their looking good as of late but I hate when people talk about the teams 5 years ago and think it has to do with this season.

18 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

It was the same thing last year with East Rockingham. The majority of people on this forum have not seen any team east of Salem play, so we take someone from the east’s word for it and run with that team. 

Tony Palmer said on the SWVA Sports podcast last year that he would’ve rather had played East Rockingham than Goochland. He said that after watching film he felt graham would’ve had their way with them. But, most of the people were picking East Rock to win it all last year. 

My point is - outside of SWVA - how many of us actually have in depth knowledge of other teams? 

A

5 minutes ago, EH31 said:

It was the same thing last year with East Rockingham. The majority of people on this forum have not seen any team east of Salem play, so we take someone from the east’s word for it and run with that team. 

Tony Palmer said on the SWVA Sports podcast last year that he would’ve rather had played East Rockingham than Goochland. He said that after watching film he felt graham would’ve had their way with them. But, most of the people were picking East Rock to win it all last year. 

My point is - outside of SWVA - how many of us actually have in depth knowledge of other teams? 

Always hear about Poquosan (not sure on spelling) also being unbeatable and they're never in it either.

43 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

A

Always hear about Poquosan (not sure on spelling) also being unbeatable and they're never in it either.

Poquoson is the team that beat Richlands for the title in 2010.  They play in a very good Bull Run District with teams with higher enrollment.  They are consistently pretty darn good.