Graham vs Union Part 2

Gridiron60

36 minutes ago, SWVAfootballman said:

You’ll have to have a balanced attack to beat graham, Union does not... I know you’re gonna say “we already beat them once”, yes you did, i watched Graham’s middle LB throw up twice on the field. You’ll see a much different defense this game. Polier will get his yards, he’s a tough kid, but graham will key on him. Without a passing game you’re at a severe disadvantage, I can see this game getting ugly by the 3rd QTR

Defense has come together past few weeks. They seem to really clicking. Rex & Snake work well together on defense. They’ve got those boys reading plays  & keying on the ball.Union was the best team regular season and I’m hoping Graham will be the best team come Friday night. 

26 minutes ago, SWVAfootballman said:

You’ll have to have a balanced attack to beat graham, Union does not... I know you’re gonna say “we already beat them once”, yes you did, i watched Graham’s middle LB throw up twice on the field. You’ll see a much different defense this game. Polier will get his yards, he’s a tough kid, but graham will key on him. Without a passing game you’re at a severe disadvantage, I can see this game getting ugly by the 3rd QTR

You should know that Union scored twice via a pass right , one of which was 78 yards the other 6yards and the D scored also on a pick 6 , but you are right if your LB were healthy Union would have never scored. Pleeeaaaase  and if a frog had wings he wouldn’t bump his butt when he jumped . I know I am being a jerk, and Graham may set the grass on fire at the park , but give the Union kids credit, Tony Palmer did!!!

5 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

one of which was 78 yards

Glad we got the 6 but we all know that pass should have been picked. Brody is a great kid and he's done well this year. Wish the staff would let him throw some different routes to our receivers other than just outs. Him and Rasnick hooked up on a beautiful seam pattern against Letcher and that hasn't been ran at all since. Union has the tools to beat Graham, just depends on which Union team shows up Friday night. Hopefully it's the team that went to Bluefield and took names. I'd even love to have the Union team that we saw in the first half of Ridgeview game. Time to sack up.

21 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

You should know that Union scored twice via a pass right , one of which was 78 yards the other 6yards and the D scored also on a pick 6 , but you are right if your LB were healthy Union would have never scored. Pleeeaaaase  and if a frog had wings he wouldn’t bump his butt when he jumped . I know I am being a jerk, and Graham may set the grass on fire at the park , but give the Union kids credit, Tony Palmer did!!!

Union played their butts off, I sat on the Union side and cheered them on. I’ve also watched this graham team become a different monster since then. Union will score, may take 6-8 minutes to do it. The game is played on the field... but it will taking nothing short of a miracle for the bears to pull this off 

7 hours ago, BigWinners said:

No dumber than claiming Appomattox beats Ridgeview like Pikeville did. 

Appo scored 6 against Buckingham, 17 against Rustburg, 14 against Heritage and 21 against Gretna, the best teams they've played, but sure they'll score 60+ and best a good Ridgeview team with a legit D1 prospect and their starting QB who IIRC sat against Pikeville by 30+ points. 

I thought you were done with it?  I just know you said Appo isn't in the same league as Pikeville and that Appo vs Ridgeview would be a coin flip.   I told you if Appo played Ridgeview, it could be "Pikeville all over again."  That implies a bad beating (which I believe) and not a coin flip as you stated.  I think Appo would absolutely throttle Ridgeview.  A blowout, not a coin flip.  Now, that may bother you, but it's this guys take on seeing both teams play this year.  You like to use the words "not in the same league."  You haven't seen Appo and have no clue what your talking about.  You can't stand Appo because of the 2017 loss.  I've read your comments on here as you seemingly bring that game up or how Union was the best team in the state in 2017 frequently.  I'm a Gmen fan through and through and I'm not sold on Ridgeview.  They've never made it past the second round of the playoffs and until they do so, I'm not buying it.  They would get whitewashed against Appomattox. 

2 hours ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

I thought you were done with it?  I just know you said Appo isn't in the same league as Pikeville and that Appo vs Ridgeview would be a coin flip.   I told you if Appo played Ridgeview, it could be "Pikeville all over again."  That implies a bad beating (which I believe) and not a coin flip as you stated.  I think Appo would absolutely throttle Ridgeview.  A blowout, not a coin flip.  Now, that may bother you, but it's this guys take on seeing both teams play this year.  You like to use the words "not in the same league."  You haven't seen Appo and have no clue what your talking about.  You can't stand Appo because of the 2017 loss.  I've read your comments on here as you seemingly bring that game up or how Union was the best team in the state in 2017 frequently.  I'm a Gmen fan through and through and I'm not sold on Ridgeview.  They've never made it past the second round of the playoffs and until they do so, I'm not buying it.  They would get whitewashed against Appomattox. 

Agree with what you are saying. Appo didnt start to geluntil around week 5 or 6. They have a sophmore staring QB that played last year as well. They do nothing flashy, just run it down your throat. 

Interesting Facts Graham is 0-1 vs teams currently in VHSL Playoffs this season and 0-2 vs all schools on there schedule still in the playoff hunt

Union is 2-1 vs teams currently in the VHSL playoffs and 2-2 vs all schools on there schedule still in the playoff hunt

Great matchup in this one there is no doubt that Union is more battle tested coming into this one but the question is has that tough road galvanized them or worn them down?

On the other side Graham is coming into the game healthy and fresh will that allow them to out energy a Union team that has had to dig deep in all 4 qtrs in most of there games this season or will Graham struggle if there starters have to play a full 4 qtrs?

I think Graham with there quick strike capability will be tough to put away and Union if they can limit turnovers can control the clock and keep the ball out of Grahams hands. 

IMHO while I think Union will put up a great fight I think Graham just has more weapons barring a monsoon that turns bullet park into a mud bowl that will be the difference in the game 

On 11/16/2019 at 7:03 PM, Gridiron60 said:

Appomattox is rolling right now & I’m not saying Radford cannot beat them but it’s more probable Raiders cage those Bobcats considering injuries Radford suffered especially. Right now, everyone better be in the mindset one game at a time including the Pack fans! 

I agree 

21 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

There are some on here making big brags and boasts about their teams, some who never played a down as a starter, some living in the past ( Appomattox) you should really not talk about past champions because PV and Appalachia have 14 state titles , The GMen have several and Ridgeview - Clintwood has what 4 or 5 so take that little number 3 and brag to the Central Va teams .... but wait you can’t do that because Riverheads rules that area . The games will be played on the field and I promiss you one thing whomever wins region D will win state and all of us will be pulling for them

I don't think Graham fans would pull for Ridgeview at all if we somehow advance.

10 hours ago, DB-6130 said:

What time is the Graham vs Pikeville game? 

After reading through this thread I am pumped for this game.

Friday or Saturday?

54 minutes ago, UNION'S HAMMER said:

FYI Just heard that the game is being moved from the park to Appalachia due to the possibility of rain on Friday. Also that the Appalachia fire department will start early Thursday morning watering the field down. The grass up there hasn't been mowed in 3 months that should give Union a fighting chance. Unless the kids from Graham are sick this time as well. Union can only beat some teams when their not 100%. So if Graham beats Union I'm going to be the 1st to say it now we ain't 100% as of now. I guess Union should just show up and bow down to almighty Graham. 

Yes, I mean we might as well not show up if that team in maroon with a sherriff's badge with a goofy looking 'G' in the middle of it is on the other side of the field.  It's all over!  I mean, Graham will probably beat everyone by 60+ and win the state by that much as well.  

Hell, they would probably beat Maryville, Tennessee and Bishop-Gorman, Nevada as well.

23 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I don't think Graham fans would pull for Ridgeview at all if we somehow advance.

Yes, I mean we might as well not show up if that team in maroon with a sherriff's badge with a goofy looking 'G' in the middle of it is on the other side of the field.  It's all over!  I mean, Graham will probably beat everyone by 60+ and win the state by that much as well.  

Hell, they would probably beat Maryville, Tennessee and Bishop-Gorman, Nevada as well.

Graham fans would pull for Ridgeview, particularly if Ridgeview were to beat them.  That being said, having seen both teams this season, Graham is significantly better and it's not that close.  Ridgeview cannot defend the spread well and can barely defend the pass at all, and that's Graham's wheelhouse.  Graham is also far and away the best team I've seen this season at putting 7 on the board if you make any slight mistake.  That's not to say that Graham couldn't commit 15 penalties and turn the ball over 2-3 times, which they've shown the ability to do on occasion.  But if Ridgeview and Graham played 10 times, Graham wins at least 9 of them.  

First thing's first, though: both teams have to win this week to get there.  Central presents some interesting matchup questions for Union, as Union does for Graham.

I'm a Graham fan through and through. It all depends on what team shows up. Union has already be us once and can do it again, especially at The Park. I love playing at The Park because its a great environment for football. The weather might play a factor in the game as well. At the end of the day we are pulling for 15 -18 year old kids and you never know what your gonna get until you arrive at the stadium. Good luck to both teams for an injury free game. Also wishing for the same thing at Ridgeview. But in the end Go GMEN!!

22 hours ago, BigWinners said:

No, they arent. For one, Appo doesn't run that type of offense, never have. Have you actually saw them play? They were a predominant run team for the longest time. They are nothing like Pikeville. 3/4 titles means nothing when talking about this year. This season. Appo lost to a 2A team this year,.they aren't some unstoppable juggernaut. 

Believe what you want, but you'll see if they match up.

Well said! All Hokie1 Pokie  does is run that mouth. From many of his read posts I will say he doesn't know a thing about football.    

I will be at the Region D vs Region C game regardless of who represents Region D. I will be rooting hard for Central, Union, and/or Ridgeview if Graham is not the team to make it.  I'm not an Appo fan by any means, BUT...I respect a winner. I am of the mindset that you don't hate winners, you should want to be like winners. I don't hate wealth or wealthy people, I focus on trying to be wealthy. I speak very highly of Appo because I respect them, but I for dang sure hope they lose by 45 points to any Region D team.

11 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Just wondering, how is Graham's run game? Also, when was the last time they played a team with a real defense?

After game 10, the announcers  said Lester had over 2200 all purpose yards for the season, not sure the breakdown between passing/running.... but he had only played 24 out of 40 quarters. Can you imagine what he would’ve had otherwise? So I guess if you count his running yards then yes they have an absolutely dangerous run game 

10 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Just wondering, how is Graham's run game? Also, when was the last time they played a team with a real defense?

The QB is great and can pass and run. The RB can run it and the running game has gotten better as the year has went on. Bluefield has a good D and Union's D is good as well. Our schdule is weak but you cannot fix the schdule in the middle of the year and the SWD is very weak. You can only play the team's on your schdule for this year. We do not have quality wins this year. When we played Union we made mistakes and didnt have one of our cornerbacks. That one side of the Defense accounted for two TD's that Union had. I don't think Union will be able to pass the ball like they did last time. We will all find out Friday night. The big key is stopping #43 cause he killed us.

This years Appomattox team is not is the same realm of past years.  If I had to rank the 3 titles I would say:

2016 was our strongest team.   They just destroyed teams throughout the playoffs and even in the title game.

2015 was strong and basically the 2016 team but younger with a few senior splashed in as starters. (Richlands was loaded that year we beat them OT) 

2017 would be the ones that was most beatable.  They jumped on Union early 20-0 and then survived a hostile crowd and tough Union D to win 23-20 I think.  (Possibly the best game I was ever at)

This 2019 team is young at positions but about 1/2 our line is seniors.  Are they close to our 2017 team (2017 just had Javon Scruggs at QB and DB who basically just REFUSED to lose a game) ,..... I would say no.  Are they tough in their own regards though.....yes.  They have made great strides since their early loses to Buckingham and Heritage (two teams that should go deep in the playoffs and Heritage at the 3A level) 

Do I think Appomattox will walk the dog on any of the remaining teams...NO 

Do I feel they can win...YES

Do they win the title.......They need to be healthy (due to small numbers) and they will need to win the turnover battle. 

Booker and Bradshaw or Turner. not sure which he goes by, both ran the ball well against us in the regular season. I like the way Graham utilizes all of their capable playmakers. It's what most of us have been screaming for Union to do. Throw Dales, Bauer and Ray in there, also obviously Lester and the Gmen have tons of weapons. But these Bears aren't going to lie down. Can't wait til Friday. 

19 minutes ago, UnionBears84 said:

Booker and Bradshaw or Turner. not sure which he goes by, both ran the ball well against us in the regular season. I like the way Graham utilizes all of their capable playmakers. It's what most of us have been screaming for Union to do. Throw Dales, Bauer and Ray in there, also obviously Lester and the Gmen have tons of weapons. But these Bears aren't going to lie down. Can't wait til Friday. 

Bauer? He only plays in garbage time. You’re missing Justice who didn’t play the first go round.

My $.02 on this is that Graham will come away with this one by ~14.  They have fixed issues they had at the beginning of the season just like they did last year.  My concerns for Graham is that they come out flat since when did they last have to play 4 quarters.  Edge speed is quick with them and if you penetrate and get to the QB then you better make sure you get him.  If you miss or he makes a single move then it's off to the races with him.  Best defense is to sit and hold the line and make him beat you with his arm.  Not that his arm is a weakness however.

That's why you play the game, anything can happen.  Kills me but got to pull for Tazewell Co in this one and hope to see Graham be Reg D champs.

Graham wins Region D the main reason is because of speed they have more than anyone else left playing. Union seems to be going in the wrong direction from what I have read, RV secondary will be destroyed if they make it, and Central is having a great year but they do not have the cats that Graham has. You still have to play the game and anything could happen if they dont take an opponent seriously but with a group of 16 seniors and the fact that they have done it before means the G Men should be in Salem