Graham vs Union Part 2

Gridiron60

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

It surprised the hell out of me too. The week before was way more empty too on senior night but it was bitter, bitter cold. Last week was cold but not as bad as the week before and the turnout still wasn't great. I dunno why, but it's a shame if people stopped coming this season.

The last two games on the Ridge, the attendance has been terrible as well.  People just don't come out anymore when there's rain and/or cold.  They want Saturday games in the playoffs.  The temperature tomorrow isn't supposed to be bad, but the rain I guess will keep everyone away tomorrow too.  Who knows?

2 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

The last two games on the Ridge, the attendance has been terrible as well.  People just don't come out anymore when there's rain and/or cold.  They want Saturday games in the playoffs.  The temperature tomorrow isn't supposed to be bad, but the rain I guess will keep everyone away tomorrow too.  Who knows?

A couple of weeks ago Graham honored the 1989 team at halftime. They played a video of highlights from their games that season. One of the things that stood out to me was the attendance at the games back then. It appeared the stands were packed each week. Both home and away. With the exception of the Graham/Beaver game the stands are pretty much empty. 

Even though we pride ourselves on this end of the state for still supporting our teams. It seems there is definitely a decline by our standards especially.

16 minutes ago, Ol Dawg said:

I go them from the gofan app. Had Union listed. At least they got the price right this week.  Charged $10 last week stating that was the price across the board lol. 

Interesting. I went to the link I had for Union from last year and said it didn't exist. 

47 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I'd rather it be cold than rain. I flipping HATE sitting in the rain. If this wasn't some family's potential last game, I'd stay home if it's raining. Nothing worse than sitting in wet clothes.

34 minutes ago, UNION#ATW said:

I put an order in for some new cleats from our good friends in RICHLANDS...for the UNION team. Let the rain come in regardless if we play at the park or APPALACHIA. We'll be ready for you G-MEN!! GO BEARS!!

Just make sure you didnt buy those from anybody in Salem.  You will end up with an * beside the title if you end up winning it.

1 hour ago, UNION#ATW said:

I put an order in for some new cleats from our good friends in RICHLANDS...for the UNION team. Let the rain come in regardless if we play at the park or APPALACHIA. We'll be ready for you G-MEN!! GO BEARS!!

They’re double dealing, lol. I heard Mance already sent them up to Bluefield to help those boys out after the fire dept. hosed down the field. 😉

2 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Just make sure you didnt buy those from anybody in Salem.  You will end up with an * beside the title if you end up winning it.

That’s funny — since there’s no * in the Book of Records that shows the 1992 state title game score. 🤔

2 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

That’s funny!

3 hours ago, UNION#ATW said:

It would be like Union buying cleats from Bluefield or Princeton. Richland's actually purchased their cleats 27 years ago in the town of Salem if I'm not mistaken. It may have been Roanoke, but it was very very close to the town of the team they were playing. Imagine Union purchasing cleats that are a touch to long from Bluefield, WV or Princeton, WV, and then hosting Graham. That's actually what happened with Richlands 27 years ago.

With that written, I think Richlands was still better than Salem and the King of 4A (Div 4) football that year. I was at the Salem game in 92, and also at the championship against Orange County. Also, in 1993, Richlands was banned from the playoffs which was the year after the state title. That Richlands 1993 team would have repeated in Div 4, (AA, Div 4) if they would have been allowed to make it. I would argue that to the end. That 93 team was absolutely on fire by game 10 and I think they would have repeated. They were brutal up front.

From the BHC:

Graham (9-2) at Union (9-2)

Friday, 7 p.m.

Last meeting: Union 37, Graham 35 (Sept. 20, 2019 in Bluefield, W.Va.)

In the regular season meeting at Mitchell Stadium, junior Koby Crist connected on a 21-yard field goal with five seconds left to give Union the win. The Bears compiled 399 total yards, Mason Polier rushing for 193 yards and score from the T-formation. Graham, which trailed 27-10 midway through the third quarter, generated 442 yards as quarterback Devin Lester passed for 328 and ran for 98. …The G-Men have since reeled off seven straight wins. Senior Tre Booker (5-9, 200) provides power running for the G-Men, while receivers such as seniors Marqus Ray, Isaiah Justice and Joey Dales are playmakers along with speedy sophomore Xayvion Turner. … Senior offensive lineman Trevor Wagner (6-4, 220), senior defensive back Antwun Jenkins and senior defensive end Gavin Perry are factors for Union. … Polier has collected nine touchdowns the past three games, and is coming off a 254-yard effort against Gate City. The 6-2, 225-yard senior will be challenged by the proven linebacker tandem of Nick Kastner and Aaron Edwards. …Lester emerges as the star at Bullitt Park.

Prediction: Graham 21, Union 14

4 minutes ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

It would be like Union buying cleats from Bluefield or Princeton. Richland's actually purchased their cleats 27 years ago in the town of Salem if I'm not mistaken. It may have been Roanoke, but it was very very close to the town of the team they were playing. Imagine Union purchasing cleats that are a touch to long from Bluefield, WV or Princeton, WV, and then hosting Graham. That's actually what happened with Richlands 27 years ago.

With that written, I think Richlands was still better than Salem and the King of 4A (Div 4) football that year. I was at the Salem game in 92, and also as the championship against Orange County. Also, in 1993, Richlands was banned from the playoffs which was the year after the state title. That Richlands 1993 team would have repeated in Div 4, (AA, Div 4) if they would have been allowed to make it. I would argue that to the end. That 93 team was absolutely on fire by game 10 and I think they would have repeated. They were brutal up front.

Another fun fact: Snake Palmer was defensive coordinator for Richlands back then and is now in his second year as an assistant at Graham working with defense.

You’re correct, I believe they got cleats from a guy out of Salem. With said, I believe Richlands would have won regardless. Don’t know why Vaught thought he needed those cleats. I heard all the assistants at the time told him they didn’t need them and didn’t want players to use them but he thought differently I guess. 

On 11/20/2019 at 8:38 PM, Gridiron60 said:

I believe your pick is way off & you're trying to psyche out GMen 😂! There's no way Graham wins  42-6. It's going to be much closer. Our boys can't run as fast on grass especially wet grass! I like the Union folks fighting with each other though, lol. It's not as good as the video  last year but I guess at this point we'll take it 😂😂😂😂! Do you know if the McDonald's off the exit has McRibs? I feel like graduating from traditional Happy Meal! 😉

No mcribbs sorry. Now my real prediction I'll keep to myself. But we are 22 hours away from kickoff and the last thing I will say is it will be loud and Let's Go Bears. 

Steady rain and 49” here in the gap, football weather, reminds me of the game between PV and SC when Thomas Jones became a state champion for the first time and also when he ran crazy against North Thumberland playing in a cow pasture on the outer banks of Va ...good omens 

Yes Sir...The rain could be the 12th men today for the BEARS..

6 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

Steady rain and 49” here in the gap, football weather, reminds me of the game between PV and SC when Thomas Jones became a state champion for the first time and also when he ran crazy against North Thumberland playing in a cow pasture on the outer banks of Va ...good omens 

🏈🙏🤣👍

14 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

I hear there’s a dump truck load of vomit comet coming to be spread over the field around 5pm to soak up all the moisture. 😂😂😂 

30 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

Where in God's name is North Thumberland, because it isn't in VA...now there is a Northumberland High School up in the Northern Neck of VA.

I guess you failed geography in school, right???