Graham vs Union Part 2

Gridiron60

2 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Did Union quit in this game, or is Graham really 40-50 points better?

If I’m not mistaken Union didn’t get a first down until the 4th quarter correct? That should tell you everything.

7 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Did Union quit in this game, or is Graham really 40-50 points better?

Graham is really 50 points better when Graham plays it's A game and when Union has lots of injuries. Also, Appo is 40 points better than Ridgeview like I said they were and those two aren't a "toss up" game.

Teams that can't advance past the 2nd round of the playoffs are not going to be in a "toss up" game with Appo. They would get throttled.

1 minute ago, graham32 said:

If I’m not mistaken Union didn’t get a first down until the 4th quarter correct? That should tell you everything.

Doesn't really tell me if Union quit early in the game though.  Obviously Graham was better, was just asking if they were 40 points better.

37 minutes ago, BBHoops_18 said:

He just won a state championship last year. Who isn’t rating him?

Some people do give Tony Palmer the credit he deserves.  It's the ones who recall the lost decade of Graham football before he was hired as HC.  Unfortunately, there are others who think Palmer is simply the beneficiary of a run of great athletes.  That was what I meant when I said he was "underrated".  

Just now, Weatherman said:

Doesn't really tell me if Union quit early in the game though.  Obviously Graham was better, was just asking if they were 40 points better.

I wouldn’t expect a team that was 9-2 at the time to just “quit” especially In the playoffs 

10 minutes ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

You know, it's a shame Graham didn't play a tougher schedule, otherwise; this game would have been 58-7 instead of 48-7. Our schedule clearly hurt us.

in all seriousness wouldn't mind seeing graham have a little tougher shedule. wouldn't mind seeing us schedule blacksburg or christiansburg. we played them a bunch in the 2000's.

2 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Union didn't quit. If any team quit, it was Graham which called the Dogs off starting in the late 2nd qtr. 

Graham out physicalled Union. Union likes smashmouth football. Graham smashed them in the mouth.

Congrats G-Men you smoked us tonite like I said. Union was way too beat up but healthy i still think it would have been the same. Know 1 thing i will be rooting for you guys next week can't stand the Walmart warriors. Man what game next week we have the Walmart Warriors going to The McDonald's G-Men

1 hour ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Tony understands the following concept well, and how to make it happen.   Get your athletes out in space and in one on one situations.  Graham does exactly that.  Credit the other Palmer on defense.  Since this man has arrived, it's like Graham's defense literally turned it around from day 1.

I'll 2nd that.  Graham had been experimenting with Meadows on D, just for this game, I think.  I was hoping they would utilize him more against Union.  He can just blow up a play by pushing linemen into the backfield.  Awesome job by the coaching staff as well as the young men on the field.

35 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

I don't know if "quit" is the right word, but had you seen Union since the Ridgeview game, it would leave you scratching your head. Several injuries definitely made a difference, no doubt,  but the seemingly lack of an attempt to adjust to those injuries was puzzling to say the least.

Kinda like being tired of vanilla ice cream, walking into BR 31 flavors and then asking for vanilla ice cream. 

1 hour ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Well, looks they would have needed to hold Graham to 6 points

Real classy 😕

Union's only slim hope was a low scoring,  tight game and that didn't happen.  Graham dominated start to finish. Union couldn't get out of their own end and were down 21-0 quick. Union jus didn't have the horses to slow down the G-Men at all. Lester got whatever he wanted on the ground. This wasn't Graham airing it out everywhere, they ran all over Union. I think 21-0 and Union saw the light thru the tunnel, they knew they couldn't get enough stops even if they managed any offense which they couldn't. The game plan for Union, well, it's been a good season for the Bears. 

Appo is a run first team, and they won 21-0 tonight. Is Ridgeview really three TDs worse than Glenvar? No, but you can believe that if you want. They beat good teams solidly but it's not like Graham out there. But you're on it tonight, I'm not starting this again.

45 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Some people do give Tony Palmer the credit he deserves.  It's the ones who recall the lost decade of Graham football before he was hired as HC.  Unfortunately, there are others who think Palmer is simply the beneficiary of a run of great athletes.  That was what I meant when I said he was "underrated".  

I almost believe if we had this coaching staff when I was playing(05-08) we “might” have won a title. Tony knows what he has and he uses his playmakers the right way. He’s a great coach. 

3 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Real classy 😕

Union's only slim hope was a low scoring,  tight game and that didn't happen.  Graham dominated start to finish. Union couldn't get out of their own end and were down 21-0 quick. Union jus didn't have the horses to slow down the G-Men at all. Lester got whatever he wanted on the ground. This wasn't Graham airing it out everywhere, they ran all over Union. I think 21-0 and Union saw the light thru the tunnel, they knew they couldn't get enough stops even if they managed any offense which they couldn't. The game plan for Union, well, it's been a good season for the Bears. 

Appo is a run first team, and they won 21-0 tonight. Is Ridgeview really three TDs worse than Glenvar? No, but you can believe that if you want. They beat good teams solidly but it's not like Graham out there. But you're on it tonight, I'm not starting this again.

Yes, Ridgeview is really 3 TDs worse than Glenvar. 

2 hours ago, UNION'S HAMMER said:

Congrats G-Men you smoked us tonite like I said. Union was way too beat up but healthy i still think it would have been the same. Know 1 thing i will be rooting for you guys next week can't stand the Walmart warriors. Man what game next week we have the Walmart Warriors going to The McDonald's G-Men

Thank for blowing that train horn! I think it helped a normally sedate crowd get fired up. 

3 hours ago, BBHoops_18 said:

in all seriousness wouldn't mind seeing graham have a little tougher shedule. wouldn't mind seeing us schedule blacksburg or christiansburg. we played them a bunch in the 2000's.

The only teams they could drop would be Fort Chiswell and Princeton. All others are District games except for Bluefield and Union and you cannot fix that over night. Also the SWD is down right now and we cannot help that either. You just have to play who is on the schedule and try an work on it when you have openings.

9 hours ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Tony understands the following concept well, and how to make it happen.   Get your athletes out in space and in one on one situations.  Graham does exactly that.  Credit the other Palmer on defense.  Since this man has arrived, it's like Graham's defense literally turned it around from day 1.

Tony is a great head coach, yes, he's had talent but talebt cannot win championships without an exceptional coaching staff. I agree about the other Palmer. I've said it since the beginning of Tony bringing him onboard. Richlands was known more for their defensive prowess all those years than their offense. Snake was the architect of that defense. You know Mance is kicking himself for letting him go. Rex Bradshaw & D. Palmer have crafted a well-oiled machine. Tonight's defense reminded me of last year's during the playoff run. If they stay focused and don't get overconfident, I can't see Central having a chance. Hats off to Tony & staff and to the players who got the job done tonight!