What if...

vols4life

5 hours ago, vols4life said:

If some how Holston pulls a upset and Burton slides past Cheathowie.. It would be Holstons chance to avenge the 2-0 loss to Burton in 2009...Stranger things have happened!!

2-0?  I'd like to hear the story of that game.  Defensive battle.

I was at the 2-0 Holston/JIB game at Emory & Henry. It's one of the most memorable games I have ever attended. A rematch would be a good story, but like previous posters I think it's unlikely too. 

I doubt I will ever attend another game that ends 2-0. 

And thanks to Union_Fan for the link to the news story...

Yes. I was at that game, along with my wife who was 7 months pregnant at the time. Very cold, windy, with occasional snow showers. Holston tried to kick what would have been a very long field goal on the last possession. From what I heard other people in the stands saying, he had made kicks from that distance in practice. The kick never went up, it just bounced on the ground.

He had made from that distance, there was a lot going on in that play.  I had a nephew on that team, he told me there were 2 plays called on that attempt.  Obviously the kick was one of the calls, the other was if he or the other personal blocker on the other side of the line did not have anyone over them they were to release for a fake.  Both were covered and the field goal attempt was made. 

4 hours ago, dshreeves said:

I doubt I will ever attend another game that ends 2-0.

A very rare occurrence, indeed. I remember a game, I think it was  between John Battle and Holston, sometime back in the mid to late 90's, that the final score was 3-2.

3 minutes ago, rebel3 said:

A very rare occurrence, indeed. I remember a game, I think it was  between John Battle and Holston, sometime back in the mid to late 90's, that the final score was 3-2.

Gate City lost a 3-2 game to Radford in the playoffs in 1987, that was in a snowstorm. The Wind was blowing so hard that Radford took a safety, rather than trying to punt into the wind..That was the coldest I have ever been at at game in my life.

i think chilhowie (sp) has a chance to make another run to the state championship in that division again. Solid QB and RB with at least one good WR threat in #3 i think is his number.

20 hours ago, SXSW said:

Gate City lost a 3-2 game to Radford in the playoffs in 1987, that was in a snowstorm. The Wind was blowing so hard that Radford took a safety, rather than trying to punt into the wind..That was the coldest I have ever been at at game in my life.

I was at a high school game in Dayton, Ohio three weeks ago that sounds exactly like this, except there were quite a few more points scored in that one though.  The first PAT attempted went about 20 yards wide left.  Lol

I literally thought I was going to freeze to death that night.  And I had three layers of clothes on as well.  My hat kept blowing off my head, pouring snow, but it was a good time.

It was so cold they left the buses running the whole game and I went to the team bus at half time and sat with the driver and got at least feeling back in my fingers and toes. 

13 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I was at a high school game in Dayton, Ohio two weeks ago that sounds exactly like this, except there were quite a few more points scored in that one though.  The first PAT attempted went about 20 yards wide left.  Lol

19 hours ago, The U Bear said:

i watched appy beat burton 3 0 in 1990b region title game. if you know the history of appys kicking game then you know that was a very rare occurence

That was 89. Appy beat TS on a kick the week prior. Billy Owens was the best kicker Appy ever had it could be argued. The Appy/burton game in 1990 was the brawl in the qtr. button lost state title game to king and Queen 21-20 on a missed two point conversion attempt. 

You’re correct about our kicking game haha. 

3 minutes ago, Ol Dawg said:

That was 89. Appy beat TS on a kick the week prior. Billy Owens was the best kicker Appy ever had it could be argued. The Appy/burton game in 1990 was the brawl in the qtr. button lost state title game to king and Queen 21-20 on a missed two point conversion attempt. 

You’re correct about our kicking game haha. 

yes it was 89. 90 was the fight you are correct

On 11/20/2019 at 9:09 AM, Union_Fan said:

No, that was 2006 against Riverheads...shocker. 🙄

Was there for that.  It was game 2 after Giles losing to Goochland earlier in the day.  You folks from Norton handled it better than most folks from Giles Co would have.  Cheers to that I guess.  Hadn't seen a screw job on that level since 94 in Peterstown.

14 hours ago, sir said:

i think chilhowie (sp) has a chance to make another run to the state championship in that division again. Solid QB and RB with at least one good WR threat in #3 i think is his number.

Chilhowie will be lucky to even get to the state semis and even if they made it to that point Galax will beat the brakes off Chilhowie