What if...

vols4life

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

A brawl? I don't remember that, a little before my time. What was the context? I love fights during games lol. Watching Appalachia and Central go at it still cracks me up lol

It got ugly, fans and players throwing punches.  Appy was put on probation also but I'm not sure how many years and I'm sure Burton did also.

1 hour ago, goose111874 said:

It got ugly, fans and players throwing punches.  Appy was put on probation also but I'm not sure how many years and I'm sure Burton did also.

Damn that's awesome lol. No love lost between those two schools, ESPECIALLY during that time period. 

Man the old LPD was crazy. PV and Coeburn HATED each other in the 80s, Norton and Appalachia hated each other, Norton and Wise was incredibly nasty at times, Pound and Wise was roufh and everyone knows about PV/Appalachia. Man the M7 is a good district but it didn't breed the kind of rivalries that happened in the 80s/90s.

I know you're an Appalachia guy, what team did you guys hate the most when you were in school? For us it was Gate City, Appalachia had fell off after like 2002 so it wasn't that competitive but GC/PV was a dogfight between elite teams. It was never as deep seeded as say PV/Appy,  but there were times it was incredibly tense.

23 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Damn that's awesome lol. No love lost between those two schools, ESPECIALLY during that time period. 

Man the old LPD was crazy. PV and Coeburn HATED each other in the 80s, Norton and Appalachia hated each other, Norton and Wise was incredibly nasty at times, Pound and Wise was roufh and everyone knows about PV/Appalachia. Man the M7 is a good district but it didn't breed the kind of rivalries that happened in the 80s/90s.

I know you're an Appalachia guy, what team did you guys hate the most when you were in school? For us it was Gate City, Appalachia had fell off after like 2002 so it wasn't that competitive but GC/PV was a dogfight between elite teams. It was never as deep seeded as say PV/Appy,  but there were times it was incredibly tense.

I can remember even as a kid when they would announce the scores if PV was losing it was probably the loudest cheers of the game.  Appy was just a small school and u know how it is everyone roots for the underdogs so it was great when PV lost.  My best friends went to PV and I hated their football team.  I was at Appy in the 90s so games were more competitive then I think (Appy won 4 games).  People on here talk about rivalry games but you  just had to be part of the schools too fully understand how big this rivalry was.

1 hour ago, goose111874 said:

I can remember even as a kid when they would announce the scores if PV was losing it was probably the loudest cheers of the game.  Appy was just a small school and u know how it is everyone roots for the underdogs so it was great when PV lost.  My best friends went to PV and I hated their football team.  I was at Appy in the 90s so games were more competitive then I think (Appy won 4 games).  People on here talk about rivalry games but you  just had to be part of the schools too fully understand how big this rivalry was.

The game at the park in 97 is still the best HS game I've ever seen. Two state championship teams that absolutely hated each other. Incredible talent on both sides. Two legendary coaches. A nailbiter game til the very end. Everyone remembers the tape and controversy afterwards but the game itself was an absolute classic.

The year before Appalachia had won for the first time in two years, Appalachia won three straight until 94, PV won 94-95, Appalachia won 96, and PV won the last 14. Phil always had his team's ready for Appalachia, he had an incredible record against one of the best programs in the state. Appalachia was smaller and you guys loved that underdog role lol but a team that wins so many games and state titles is hard to consider that much of an underdog lol. By my count, Phil was 25-4 in 29 games against Appalachia. Appalachia won five state titles during that period, played in seven title games I believe, so it's not like you guys were some scrub team haha. 

Something wild about 1997. Both smaller classification schools went to GC, the AA champs, and won. Appalachia was two divisions smaller by classification and beat them. That's crazy to me. I can't imagine a team like Chilhowie beating a team like Salem or Botetout now. Riverheads could be competitive against those guys possibly, but Riverheads numbers and Appalachia numbers are quite different lol. Gate City likely didn't have that many more students than PV during that period, I know before the GC people remind me lol, but they were still AA.

• 2 weeks later...

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 3:01 PM, SXSW said:

Gate City lost a 3-2 game to Radford in the playoffs in 1987, that was in a snowstorm. The Wind was blowing so hard that Radford took a safety, rather than trying to punt into the wind..That was the coldest I have ever been at at game in my life.

We also had a negative punt. That's the coldest I've ever been in my life. It snowed up there again in 2010 but thankfully wasn't nearly that cold.

10 minutes ago, GC_Quincy said:

We also had a negative punt. That's the coldest I've ever been in my life. It snowed up there again in 2010 but thankfully wasn't nearly that cold.

I was at that game too, the snow was beautiful and no, nowhere as cold!