Fields

That_guy

I don’t know about the coalfields, but we do it the RIGHT WAY here in Smyth County. Once a field is selected, fans will complain incessantly on Facebook and implore local media to escalate the situation.  At that point, a hometown “hero” will write to our local State Senator requesting him to intervene. The Senator then contacts VHSL Administrators who in turn select a more “suitable” field.

12 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

I don’t know about the coalfields, but we do it the RIGHT WAY here in Smyth County. Once a field is selected, fans will complain incessantly on Facebook and implore local media to escalate the situation.  At that point, a hometown “hero” will write to our local State Senator requesting him to intervene. The Senator then contacts VHSL Administrators who in turn select a more “suitable” field.

that whole situation was just dumb. why would you want to play at Saltville and risk running into a sink hole when you could play at a college field. 

1 hour ago, Jags52 said:

that whole situation was just dumb. why would you want to play at Saltville and risk running into a sink hole when you could play at a college field. 

I will never not take the opportunity to answer that question with this:

Cannot remember if it was a semi or state championship game way back in '92 (and I know someone will bring up cleat gate), but I think it was Orange County who protested using the Richlands field, (it was still grass).  I believe Orange county had received information from Salem about the condition of the field in the form that it wasn't fit for a tractor pull let alone a football game, and VHSL sent a delegation to inspect the filed.  They determined the game would not be moved and the game was played at the Ernie.  I believe up to the semi finals, the region has to make a decision on the condition of the field, and to me, the host team has won the right to host the game and should be the total decision of the school they represent.  In other words, if it's good enough for our team to play on, it's good enough for your team to play on.

I remember Richlands and Tazewell playing a regional championship game at the dog pound, and the field was horrible, but it was one heck of a game and perhaps one of the best old fashion slip and slid games I've witnessed.

On 11/20/2019 at 7:03 PM, SW_VA_boy said:

🙄  Maybe so.  Maybe end up like when some people, maybe even you with one of your prior screen names, were saying the same thing with the Chilhowie and Giles games.  I prefer the latter but I think we're in for a good one Friday night.

Well if he isn't correct this week he'll definitely hit the nail on the head next week. If Narrows can somehow beat Wythe, they get embarrassed by 3 touchdowns against Galax next week

4 hours ago, 1Wingit23 said:

Well if he isn't correct this week he'll definitely hit the nail on the head next week. If Narrows can somehow beat Wythe, they get embarrassed by 3 touchdowns against Galax next week

If that is how it plays out, then either way, we"re proud of the bunch.  They've won a hell of a lot more than they've lost these last few years and represented themselves and their school well.  Can't ask for more than that really.

Come pull for us or against us.  Don't really care either way.  VHSL will like to have your money at the gate and your concession stand money helps too. 

9 minutes ago, SW_VA_boy said:

Come pull for us or against us.  Don't really care either way.  VHSL will like to have your money at the gate and your concession stand money helps too. 

I’ve been waiting all year to come get a Narrows hotdog.. I hope they still use that good chili 😂