Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
EH31

James Monroe & River View dropping to 1A in 2020

Recommended Posts

 

Yes should really help us(James Monroe) Greenbrier West only loss this year was to us and they’re in the quarterfinals right now so we’d be right in the thick of it. Hopefully this will encourage more kids to come out and play sports at James Monroe like they use too! It should make a huge difference!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
9 hours ago, Wvumav said:

Yes should really help us(James Monroe) Greenbrier West only loss this year was to us and they’re in the quarterfinals right now so we’d be right in the thick of it. Hopefully this will encourage more kids to come out and play sports at James Monroe like they use too! It should make a huge difference!

Got to stop the bleeding of them going to Giles and Bluefield first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 

That's partly why some on the school board are trying to grease the consolidation wheels again.  Giles losing kids to Narrows even faster than JM and at their current rate will be 1A with us within the next 2 cycles.  That's also why Narrows enrollment has went up almost 60% in the last 20 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
31 minutes ago, BBHoops_18 said:

Would Bluefield continue to play James Monroe if they’re A?

We’ve already dropped Bluefield for Nicholas County. I doubt Bluefield would’ve wanted to continue playing us also since we dropped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
58 minutes ago, SW_VA_boy said:

That's partly why some on the school board are trying to grease the consolidation wheels again.  Giles losing kids to Narrows even faster than JM and at their current rate will be 1A with us within the next 2 cycles.  That's also why Narrows enrollment has went up almost 60% in the last 20 years. 

Should have went together years ago...but no

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
5 hours ago, SW_VA_boy said:

That's partly why some on the school board are trying to grease the consolidation wheels again.  Giles losing kids to Narrows even faster than JM and at their current rate will be 1A with us within the next 2 cycles.  That's also why Narrows enrollment has went up almost 60% in the last 20 years. 

Giles might dropping down sooner than you think I believe. Even Giles on it's worst years would be a top 4 1A team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
6 hours ago, Wvumav said:

We’ve already dropped Bluefield for Nicholas County. I doubt Bluefield would’ve wanted to continue playing us also since we dropped.

Scheduling has gotta be hard for Bluefield. They used to have a good rivalry with Mt View then they dropped them and now JM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
4 hours ago, 1Wingit23 said:

Giles might dropping down sooner than you think I believe. Even Giles on it's worst years would be a top 4 1A team. 

I have nothing but respect for Giles but how can you say even on a bad year they'd be top 4 in 1A? And I promise they would come close to even competing with the top 5 in 1A this year. RH, Galax, GW, Essex, Sussex, PH, Narrows, Auburn would all beat them. And the 1st 4 I named would hang 50+ on them. Again no disrespect but i gotta disagree on a down giles year = top 4 1A. And if I'm being honest idk if a good giles team could be a good RH team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
22 minutes ago, 02GW12 said:

And if I'm being honest idk if a good giles team could be a good RH team.


This year and last year Giles would barely be a top 10 team in 1A. A decent Giles team like back in 2017 would likely be a final 4 in 1A but who knows. As far as moving down to 1A, it could happen in the coming years. Giles also plays one of if not the toughest schedules in SWVA next to Richlands. We scrimmage 3A HV and Bluefield, then start our season with 4A Blacksburg, 3A Christiansburg, and Graham along with having to play Glenvar and Radford in district play. 

By the way in 2013 Riverheads was good and Giles shut them down in the state semis. Holding them to only 7 points which has only been done by 3 teams in the last 10 years while Giles rushed for 331 yards. That was also the last year of RH being 2A.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
9 hours ago, 02GW12 said:

I have nothing but respect for Giles but how can you say even on a bad year they'd be top 4 in 1A? And I promise they would come close to even competing with the top 5 in 1A this year. RH, Galax, GW, Essex, Sussex, PH, Narrows, Auburn would all beat them. And the 1st 4 I named would hang 50+ on them. Again no disrespect but i gotta disagree on a down giles year = top 4 1A. And if I'm being honest idk if a good giles team could be a good RH team.

My apologies, I was thinking region when I made the post. Obviously not state. I wouldn't be so quick to put Auburn on that list of teams that would have beaten Giles though. I still say Giles would be top 4 in Region C 1A this year. Galax, Wythe, Narrows, and Giles in that order

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
11 hours ago, 02GW12 said:

I have nothing but respect for Giles but how can you say even on a bad year they'd be top 4 in 1A? And I promise they would come close to even competing with the top 5 in 1A this year. RH, Galax, GW, Essex, Sussex, PH, Narrows, Auburn would all beat them. And the 1st 4 I named would hang 50+ on them. Again no disrespect but i gotta disagree on a down giles year = top 4 1A. And if I'm being honest idk if a good giles team could be a good RH team.

A good Giles team destroyed A good RH team....and I'm sure they had a good but more students than Giles did lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 2:35 PM, Wvumav said:

We’ve already dropped Bluefield for Nicholas County. I doubt Bluefield would’ve wanted to continue playing us also since we dropped.

I know it's early, but know of any other changes to JM's schedule for 2020?....  I'm sure its gonna look pretty different...…………….

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 11/26/2019 at 2:42 PM, MavsRock said:

I know it's early, but know of any other changes to JM's schedule for 2020?....  I'm sure its gonna look pretty different...…………….

That’s the only one I know of so far. Should be hearing something pretty soon though on the rest of the schedule. Will let you know when I hear something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
On 11/23/2019 at 10:45 AM, Hokiebird7 said:

A good Giles team destroyed A good RH team....and I'm sure they had a good but more students than Giles did lol

I played against some damn good giles teams 05-08 so i know gopd giles football. And I can't say they'd "Destroy" RH. Play with them definitely beat em maybe they would come down to mistakes. And who could fimd the damn ball haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 11/23/2019 at 8:42 AM, 1Wingit23 said:

My apologies, I was thinking region when I made the post. Obviously not state. I wouldn't be so quick to put Auburn on that list of teams that would have beaten Giles though. I still say Giles would be top 4 in Region C 1A this year. Galax, Wythe, Narrows, and Giles in that order

That I agree with top 4 in C yes and you're correct in that order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 11/22/2019 at 11:58 PM, SWVAgridiron said:


This year and last year Giles would barely be a top 10 team in 1A. A decent Giles team like back in 2017 would likely be a final 4 in 1A but who knows. As far as moving down to 1A, it could happen in the coming years. Giles also plays one of if not the toughest schedules in SWVA next to Richlands. We scrimmage 3A HV and Bluefield, then start our season with 4A Blacksburg, 3A Christiansburg, and Graham along with having to play Glenvar and Radford in district play. 

By the way in 2013 Riverheads was good and Giles shut them down in the state semis. Holding them to only 7 points which has only been done by 3 teams in the last 10 years while Giles rushed for 331 yards. That was also the last year of RH being 2A.

 

No doubt a full tilt Giles team would be a legitimate contender every season. In 1A or 2A for that matter I have absolutely nothing but respect for that program. Some of my fondest memories of my playing days are against Giles. Like in 2007 when y'all came to GW and beat us and we got it back at Giles in the region C title game. So I'll be the 1st to say a healthy and whole Giles team is a damn hard thing to deal with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
20 minutes ago, 02GW12 said:

No doubt a full tilt Giles team would be a legitimate contender every season. In 1A or 2A for that matter I have absolutely nothing but respect for that program. Some of my fondest memories of my playing days are against Giles. Like in 2007 when y'all came to GW and beat us and we got it back at Giles in the region C title game. So I'll be the 1st to say a healthy and whole Giles team is a damn hard thing to deal with.

Don’t remind me of that game 😭

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...