James Monroe & River View dropping to 1A in 2020

EH31

29 minutes ago, 02GW12 said:

I played against some damn good giles teams 05-08 so i know gopd giles football. And I can't say they'd "Destroy" RH. Play with them definitely beat em maybe they would come down to mistakes. And who could fimd the damn ball haha.

I said we did destroy them and we did in 2013

2 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

I said we did destroy them and we did in 2013

True you did but its not 2013 anymore. But in all seriousness if Giles drops to 1A then GW, Galax and RH better be ready cause there will be a new top tier team to compete with every year.

9 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Indeed it was. One of the best games ever played at Giles.

I still have scars from that game. And I always loved playing at Giles you knew you were going to get one hell of a game out of them and you knew the fans would let you know about it. Just an amazing atmosphere to play in.

And for the life of me I can't remember the 2 brothers y'all had in the backfield that year. I remember tackling them, getting hit by them and trying to figure out who had the damn ball lol but i can't remember their names.

• 1 month later...

On 2/1/2020 at 10:03 PM, 1inStripes said:

So what's James Monroe's field like?

In my experience, pasture grass that turns into a verified mudhole when it rains.  And electricity that goes on the blink when out of state teams are up more than a couple scores and its raining.  Kinda strange.

• 2 weeks later...

On 2/21/2020 at 7:18 PM, UVAObserver said:

Duffield to Lindside is a whale of a haul.  Wowza.

That was the reason I was asking about the field.   Going to be a similar length of time as a trip to Hurley I figure.  A little longer but at least RC will get 10 games this year with Jenkins folding their program.

2 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

That was the reason I was asking about the field.   Going to be a similar length of time as a trip to Hurley I figure.  A little longer but at least RC will get 10 games this year with Jenkins folding their program.

The field is a grass field. It’s in good shape. It’s located on a hill behind the high school with a beautiful view! All of our sports facilities were built with donations and free labor from the community. Do you know if this is just a one year deal or not?

2 hours ago, Wvumav said:

The field is a grass field. It’s in good shape. It’s located on a hill behind the high school with a beautiful view! All of our sports facilities were built with donations and free labor from the community. Do you know if this is just a one year deal or not?

Yes it is a one year deal as of now. VA will be in the 2nd year of their two year cycle. RC was hoping to replace Jenkins with a home game but it looks like JM was needing a home game badly as well. 

I don’t know if any discussions we’re held about the next two year cycle in VA.  

4 hours ago, Wvumav said:

All they need to worry about is the hometown refs that will be used

19 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

2 hours 25 minutes to Hurley...right at 3 hours to James Monroe...but better roads until you get to Rich Creek...

12 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

All they need to worry about is the hometown refs that will be used

Yeh, you think KY officials are bad.  Just wait until you get to Lindside...

I watched Bluefield score eight touchdowns there one night...the final score was 20-6...

2 hours ago, GMan said:

2 hours 25 minutes to Hurley...right at 3 hours to James Monroe...but better roads until you get to Rich Creek...

Not sure if they will end up going 19 or 81/77 but I figured at least some extra highway time helps.  Work the next day is going to be rough for me though.

2 hours ago, GMan said:

Yeh, you think KY officials are bad.  Just wait until you get to Lindside...

I watched Bluefield score eight touchdowns there one night...the final score was 20-6...

I saw them(refs not the James Monroe defense) shutout one of the most potent offenses in the state of Virginia one year...and as soon as game was over all refs run to one car to get the hell out of there...and they wonder why we won't go back and play them there...trash

5 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

I saw them(refs not the James Monroe defense) shutout one of the most potent offenses in the state of Virginia one year...and as soon as game was over all refs run to one car to get the hell out of there...and they wonder why we won't go back and play them there...trash

When Hokiebird7 and I agree, you can take it to the bank.  Between Narrows and no clock, Giles and no timeout, and North Cross and no electricity at the field but plenty at the school, we can go for hours.