Graham vs Wise Central Region D Championship

Graham32

13 hours ago, CriticalNoise said:

I heard that too. Something about a state playoff game at a field that’s not even yours or even in the state? 

Considering the VHSL willingly allowed the 1989 state title game to be played at Mitchell Stadium, this would be the stupidest protest since yesterday’s Harvard/Yale game.

15 hours ago, Yoder said:

Yoder says Walmart warriors kick some G ass jack !

Nothing is a given and anything can happen, Central is rolling right now but I don't see them kicking a$$. If GMen come in overconfident and not focused it could be a barn burner though. 

3 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

We have a better chance of beating VT than Wise does of pulling this off...

I sure hope the Graham team is as confident as their fans on here:) . If you went by the thoughts on this board Central shouldn't even show up. Thankfully the game isn't played on here.Folks have overlooked Central all year. They are as dangerous a team as you'll find.

7 minutes ago, Unchained said:

I sure hope the Graham team is as confident as their fans on here:) . If you went by the thoughts on this board Central shouldn't even show up. Thankfully the game isn't played on here.Folks have overlooked Central all year. They are as dangerous a team as you'll find.

I don't believe Tony Palmer & company will let those boys come in with the attitude some of the GMen fans have on here. Do I think Graham wins, yes! Do I think Central rolls over, heck no! I hope it's a competitive injury free game for both sides. Let's face it, most of us are blowhard bleacher coaches 😂😂😂😂. I'll leave the real preparation to Palmer & staff. Union proved to GMen what happens when you don't come in focused and overconfident. I don't see them making that mistake again. 

1 hour ago, Unchained said:

It would be the upset of the year by magnitudes if Central were to beat Graham.  

4 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Actually Graham was the visiting team with Bluefield this year. Technically speaking, it wasn’t a home game.  

Ok, let's rephrase.

One good thing for Central. Graham's only losses this year were at Mitchell stadium. 🤔

On a side note, why do posts disappear from the forum if they are non-derogatory, non-profane or non-abusive?

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

Ok, let's rephrase.

One good thing for Central. Graham's only losses this year were at Mitchell stadium. 🤔

On a side note, why do posts disappear from the forum if they are non-derogatory, non-profane or non-abusive?

I was just yanking your chain...no clue about your last question. 

21 hours ago, redtiger said:

I watched Graham v Southampton the other day on YouTube 

Interestingly ... I also watched that YouTube replay last week. I was there in attendance in 1989 ... great memories! After watching ... including numerous times before ... I had that gut feeling that Graham would roll into Big Stone Gap and wallop Union! Therefore, I drove 3.5 hours to witness the game and I'm sure glad that I did.

Chalk it up to ...

#grahampride 

1 minute ago, CriticalNoise said:

One of them was at Bluefield wasn’t it? 🤔🙄

Graham lost to Bluefield and Union @ Mitchell Stadium during the regular season.

One thing some may not know ... Graham and Bluefield alternate each year as the designated home team. Every other year one team (home team) occupies the home side of the stadium which is the press box side. This year Bluefield was the home team ... and Beaver fans occupied the home side. Next year, Graham fans will occupy the home side while Bluefield fans will sit on the visitor's side. Every other year is a home and visitor rotation.

Kinda cool!

23 minutes ago, starcityfootballfan said:

Interestingly ... I also watched that YouTube replay last week. I was there in attendance in 1989 ... great memories! After watching ... including numerous times before ... I had that gut feeling that Graham would roll into Big Stone Gap and wallop Union! Therefore, I drove 3.5 hours to witness the game and I'm sure glad that I did.

Chalk it up to ...

#grahampride 

89 was a special year. I believe a couple teams in Region D went home with a state championship that year. One of them even repeated the next year.

1 minute ago, Valhalla said:

89 was a special year. I believe a couple teams in Region D went home with a state championship that year. One of them even repeated the next year.

Blacksburg D4

Graham D3

Powell Valley D2

Jonesville D1

1989 ... it was a great year for southwest Virginia football. All won State Championships in their respective divisions.

I believe it was the last year of existence for Jonesville. Graham defeated Blacksburg in the regular season.  Graham's only loss was @ Salem but Graham returned the favor on Salem in 1990. 

3 minutes ago, starcityfootballfan said:

Blacksburg D4

Graham D3

Powell Valley D2

Jonesville D1

1989 ... it was a great year for southwest Virginia football. All won State Championships in their respective divisions.

I believe it was the last year of existence for Jonesville. Graham defeated Blacksburg in the regular season.  Graham's only loss was @ Salem but Graham returned the favor on Salem in 1990. 

88 was Jonesville. Appy won it in 89.

3 minutes ago, starcityfootballfan said:

Am I correct in thinking ... Appalachia's only loss was to Powell Valley that year?

Appy would finish that year 9-5.

1997 would have state championships with PV, 14-0 Appy 13-1 and GC 12-2

2 minutes ago, starcityfootballfan said:

Thanks! I now remember that Appy and/or Jonesville was 5-5 but pulled it all out in the end! 

I was always a fan of those far southwest Virginia teams!

Yep, both were 5-5 in their respective championship years. They shocked a lot of teams those years as I'm sure Blacksburg did in 2016