Graham vs Appomattox

Gridiron60

9 hours ago, AppoFan said:

Will be interesting to see if their D is as good as Appo's 2016 D. That was a dominant D as Union found out.  Appo's D this year is no where near 2016 - but they are playing their best D of the season as of late and their offense is very balanced. Should be a good game.

I'm fully aware that the Bear team in the playoffs wasn't the same team that played Graham in Bluefield due to the injuries,but we were still able to move the ball against everyone else. I've gone back and forth comparing this Union team to the 2016 version. We still had James Mitchell in '16, but he wasn't a huge part of the running game like he was in '17. 

Our defense was better this year than '16 overall. Our offense, both running and passing was similar, with the exception of not having Mitchell as an option. 

A comparison between Appo in '16 and Graham in '19

Appo kept their starters in the whole game. Graham pulled theirs after the 1st series of the 3rd quarter
Turnovers - 4 in the Appo game, only 1 against Graham
Union 1st downs against starters - Appo 11, Graham 0
Yards - 191 against Appo starters, didn't even have a 1st down against Graham's (less than 50 yards)
Yards per rush - 3.75 vs Appo, 1.65 vs Graham (and keep in mind, this was including a long TD drive AFTER Graham pulled their starters)
Score at the half - Appo 19-0, Graham 42-0
Yards against Union - Appo 385, Graham 393 (once again Appo did this in a full game, Graham did this in basically 1 half)
Pts against Union D - Appo 36 (through 4 quarters, Graham 48 (2.5 quarters), 35 pts in 2nd quarter alone.
Union total plays against starters - Appo 45, Graham - 24(36 for the whole game)

I don't think I made that comparison lightly between Graham D and Appo '16 D. It should definitely be a good game. If it wasn't 4.5 hours away, I would LOVE to see it. Hopefully, I can catch it on the Facebook stream. I do wish both teams good luck and an injury free game.

23 minutes ago, oldfool said:

I just watched the 2nd half of the 2016 Appo vs Union game last night. Ill look again tonight because Appo did pull starters in the 3rd, maybe not a wholesale swap but did pull them.

According to the Newsadance website, Delonta Kelso scored a TD in 4th quarter on offense. And he scored a TD on a pick 6 with 43 seconds left in the game. I'm 100% certain he was a senior starter.

I don't remember who the Appo poster was, but someone stated that Coach Smith purposely left the starters in because he wanted the shutout since Union had never been held scoreless and he wanted to prove a point.

48 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

According to the Newsadance website, Delonta Kelso scored a TD in 4th quarter on offense. And he scored a TD on a pick 6 with 43 seconds left in the game. I'm 100% certain he was a senior starter.

I don't remember who the Appo poster was, but someone stated that Coach Smith purposely left the starters in because he wanted the shutout since Union had never been held scoreless and he wanted to prove a point.

Is he friends with Freddy Simon? 😂 I believe Tony Palmer could have had many shut outs this year had he chosen to do that. I’m glad though he doesn’t. It gives other players opportunities to get experience and a win is win whether it’s by 3 or 30. Plus, you don’t take a chance your starters get injured. 
However, I have heard Coach Smith is a stand up , really genuine fellow. He obviously knows how to build a solid program. By the same standard, the same can be said about Tony. I look forward to a great game. I don’t think either team is getting a shutout on Saturday. 

36 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Coach likes holding teams to zero if he can but "to prove a point" is not him. 

9 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Is he friends with Freddy Simon? 😂 

Why does Simon get such a bad rap on here? What was the score of the Tazewell game this year? 35-7? That’s pretty generous. Bluefield could’ve named their score. And James Monroe? They had 42 points after the first quarter and then only scored one more touchdown the rest of the game.

1 minute ago, BBHoops_18 said:

Why does Simon get such a bad rap on here? What was the score of the Tazewell game this year? 35-7? That’s pretty generous. Bluefield could’ve named their score. And James Monroe? They had 42 points after the first quarter and then only scored one more touchdown the rest of the game.

I’ve read on here a few times (not this year) but in the past that Simon has ran the score up purposely. If that’s not the case, somebody can correct the misinformation. 

1 hour ago, oldfool said:

I just watched the 2nd half of the 2016 Appo vs Union game last night. Ill look again tonight because Appo did pull starters in the 3rd, maybe not a wholesale swap but did pull them.

4 minutes ago, BoBob said:

Coach likes holding teams to zero if he can but "to prove a point" is not him. 

I found the post(below). It was by hburghokie. His wording was "make a statement." I apologize for that. And please don't take me wrong. I'm not downing Appo or awarding Graham the automatic victory. I just wanted to compare teams and give context within that comparison. I stated last year that Graham '18 had the 2nd best defense I had seen against Union. Second only to the '16 Appo team. This year, I think Graham's D is even better.

Union defense was much tougher as Appomattox had to punt 2 to 3 times. Appo's offense stayed out on the field the whole game which had only happened 2 maybe 3 times all year. They could have come out early to mid 4th qtr but I think coach really wanted shutout to make a statement final 2 games. Last TD happened because of INT.

The playoff team in 2019 would lose to the playoff team of 2016 for Union by two TDs. By time Graham came to town, Union was totally depleted and running on fumes. 

not getting into the 2016 Appo/2019 Graham stuff, Graham has to win a state title before that's even a fair comparison, but this Union team was just dead by the end. 

Whatever the case,  not sure how you compare four different teams in two different years. Makes for interesting talk but the numbers don't lie. None of it will hold much water when thinking about what lies down the road in the semis.  Statistically speaking, never would have thought union would be held to nothing the way they were, but it happened just as it happened in bluefield the first time was a big surprise that went the other way.  After watching g-men play,  I hope they bring the same intensity and attitude to appomattox. Good luck. 

On 12/3/2019 at 10:53 AM, Gridiron60 said:

I’ve read on here a few times (not this year) but in the past that Simon has ran the score up purposely. If that’s not the case, somebody can correct the misinformation. 

Simon doesn't do that on purpose. People have posted that on here because they've been butthurt by a Bluefield football team in the past and Simon was an easy target.  Martinsburg isn't doing it either and their score differences are far worse.

14 minutes ago, bhs7695 said:

Simon doesn't do that on purpose. People have posted that on here because they've been butthurt by a Bluefield football team in the past and Simon was an easy target.  Martinsburg isn't doing it either and their score differences are far worse.

September 20, 2002: Bluefield - 86, Wyoming East - 0

December 3, 2004: Bluefield - 69, Wayne - 24

August 29, 2014: Bluefield - 76, Graham - 48 (scored a TD on the last play of the game)

October 24, 2014: Bluefield - 77, Oak Hill - 14

October 20, 2017: Bluefield - 74, Oak Hill - 7

Bluefield fans have been deluding themselves for almost 2 decades now.  Yes, Simon absolutely has intentionally run scores up on teams.  Yes, Simon has shown class and mercy to some teams (but not others, particularly WV schools).

The failure of most Bluefield fans to just accept it and move on is baffling.  Just like TW fans refuse to admit that they play ridiculously easy schedules, the sooner you admit the objective fact, the sooner we can move on.

4 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

September 20, 2002: Bluefield - 86, Wyoming East - 0

December 3, 2004: Bluefield - 69, Wayne - 24

August 29, 2014: Bluefield - 76, Graham - 48 (scored a TD on the last play of the game)

October 24, 2014: Bluefield - 77, Oak Hill - 14

October 20, 2017: Bluefield - 74, Oak Hill - 7

Bluefield fans have been deluding themselves for almost 2 decades now.  Yes, Simon absolutely has intentionally run scores up on teams.  Yes, Simon has shown class and mercy to some teams (but not others, particularly WV schools).

The failure of most Bluefield fans to just accept it and move on is baffling.  Just like TW fans refuse to admit that they play ridiculously easy schedules, the sooner you admit the objective fact, the sooner we can move on.

In Freddy's defense, the Wyoming East game was proving a point to Kevin Grogg. He ran it up on Bluefield in the AA championship game in 99 I think. That one was totally deserved.

21 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

What grade are the RB's and the QB in for Appomattox? I read somewhere they are young but I haven't seen a grade. If it's already been stated earlier, I apologize. 

The QB is a sophomore but was starting QB last year as a freshman. I’m not sure about RBs. I read that on the other board. They may have mentioned RBs. I just don’t recall to be honest. 

I read on the other board that one of our good Ridgeview friends on this board is pulling for Appomattox, lol. I want to voice my support for Gate City, Union or Central to take the M7 next year😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂! If any of y’all three go on to play past Regionals, I’ll gladly cheer you on my compadres! #RegionDSticksTogether 

Go GMen! Let’s bring back that win to Region D for all of us!!!! 

20 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I read on the other board that one of our good Ridgeview friends on this board is pulling for Appomattox, lol. I want to voice my support for Gate City, Union or Central to take the M7 next year😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂! If any of y’all three go on to play past Regionals, I’ll gladly cheer you on my compadres! #RegionDSticksTogether 

A message from Cheryl Ellis who does the Facebook Live games: 

"For those of you that were planning on watching the state semi final game  through Facebook LIVE on Saturday, I have to pay $500 to the VHSL. The school NOR I get any of this money. This money goes to VHSL for the Facebook broadcast. If anyone (business or group) wants to "sponsor" the Facebook live, I will definitely give recognition! Let me know so I can get the money to the VHSL by Friday. Without this support, I will be unable to Livestream the game. If you have any questions, please contact me!"

5 minutes ago, #1BLUESFAN said:

A message from Cheryl Ellis who does the Facebook Live games: 

"For those of you that were planning on watching the state semi final game  through Facebook LIVE on Saturday, I have to pay $500 to the VHSL. The school NOR I get any of this money. This money goes to VHSL for the Facebook broadcast. If anyone (business or group) wants to "sponsor" the Facebook live, I will definitely give recognition! Let me know so I can get the money to the VHSL by Friday. Without this support, I will be unable to Livestream the game. If you have any questions, please contact me!"

As if the VHSL isn’t making a fortune already! Money racket... 

1 minute ago, BigWinners said:

How in the world can the VHSL make her pay money if she's just a fan livestreaming for no profit? If she s making money, well it's different but since when can the VHSL police fans taking pics/videos?

I have no clue it's on Appomattox football Facebook page

9 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

How in the world can the VHSL make her pay money if she's just a fan livestreaming for no profit? If she s making money, well it's different but since when can the VHSL police fans taking pics/videos?

That's what I was thinking. At this point nothing the VH$L does would surprise me. 

46 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

If you read some of the comments on the Appomattox Facebook page there are a couple on there pulling for them that are from this end of the state. To each his own. I can personally say if it were any other team from our end of the state playing Saturday, I would be pulling for our own region. 

If I'm not mistaken Coach Palmer had a little saying last year "Us against the world" or something along those lines. I'm with him, we'll strap it up Saturday afternoon and do the very best to represent the best region as far as I'm concerned.

Let's get it GMEN!!!

1 hour ago, Mountain Football said:

What grade are the RB's and the QB in for Appomattox? I read somewhere they are young but I haven't seen a grade. If it's already been stated earlier, I apologize. 

Appomattox County - Football Varsity Roster (as of 12-03-19 )

Number Name Position Height Weight Year

1 Tevin Hurt WR/LB 6'3'' 219 12
2 Tez Booker WR/DB 5'11' 148 11
3 Daton Megginson WR/DB 6'1'' 150 12
4 Jonathan Pennix WR/DB 5'11'' 165 9
5 Tyler Gilliam WR/DB 5'11'' 180 12
6 Jaheim Scruggs RB/DB 5'6'' 148 12
7 Mikel Carter RB/DB 5'9'' 155 12
8 Tre Lawing III QB/DB 6'0'' 187 10
9 JaQuan Alexander RB/DB 5'6'' 130 11
10 Keyshawn Baker RB/LB 5'7'' 173 12
11 Gaither Comeau W/LB 5'9'' 177 12
12 Caleb Shaw QB/DB 5'7'' 145 11
14 Jordan Scott WR/DB 6'3'' 155 11
15 Cristian Ferguson RB/LB 5'10'' 210 12
16 Savion Vaughan WR/DB 5'8'' 150 10
17 Toby Bryant TE/LB 5'7'' 175 10
18 Matthew Epperson WR/DB 5'2'' 95 9
21 JaQuan Walker RB/LB 5'8'' 195 10
22 Collin Slagle WR/DB 5'5'' 130 10
33 Tavorian Copeland WR/DB 6'2'' 160 9
34 Gregory Morgan WR/DB 5'1'' 85 9
40 Brendan Gallier P/K 6'2'' 140 12
41 Landon Wilson TE/LB 5'11'' 186 11
43 Bronson Williams TE/LB 6'0'' 239 11
45 Jordan Hicks TE/LB 5'9'' 145 9
50 Jamal Wheeler OL/DL 6'0'' 282 12
51 Quamea Gray OL/DL 5'10'' 250 10
52 A.J. Moore OL/DL 5'10'' 263 11
53 Isaiah Tyree OL/DL 5'10'' 190 10
54 Robert Booker OL/DL 6'1'' 170 9
55 Dakota Donnigan OL/DL 6'0'' 215 11
56 Colton Claiborne OL/LB 5'6'' 150 10
57 Tanner Gunter OL/DL 6'2'' 180 10
58 Caleb Adams OL/DL 5'8'' 180 9
62 Colton Smith OL/DL 5'9'' 228 12
64 Mariah Hancock OL/DL 5'7'' 160 11
68 Justice Wright OL/DL 6'2'' 255 12
71 Jacob Williams OL/DL 5'10'' 220 10
72 Jacob Taylor OL/DL 6'1'' 245 9
73 Armad Clark Jr. OL/DL 5'10'' 180 9
75 Jaylen Lewis OL/DL 6'2'' 281 12
76 Tristan Ashwell OL/DL 5'10'' 277 11
77 Maliek Hubbard OL/DL 6'0'' 308 12
80 Jonathan Moore WR/LB 5'7'' 140 9
86 Derek Hammer TE/LB 6'1'' 183 12
99 Samuele Bianco P/K 5'9'' 165 11

2 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

Ferguson their main back is a senior. I've watched some hudl videos on him.