Graham vs Appomattox

Gridiron60

3 hours ago, BigWinners said:

How in the world can the VHSL make her pay money if she's just a fan livestreaming for no profit? If she s making money, well it's different but since when can the VHSL police fans taking pics/videos?

Because the VHSL runs the playoffs. And they plainly say that you cannot broadcast games without a broadcasting fee. 

I’m glad she got caught. I worked on a radio broadcast and if we had to pay to broadcast those games to people — it’s only fair that she does as well. 

And her community got their say and helped her raise the money to broadcast it. That’s great! Glad it was all resolved in the right way. 

47 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Because the VHSL runs the playoffs. And they plainly say that you cannot broadcast games without a broadcasting fee. 

I’m glad she got caught. I worked on a radio broadcast and if we had to pay to broadcast those games to people — it’s only fair that she does as well. 

And her community got their say and helped her raise the money to broadcast it. That’s great! Glad it was all resolved in the right way. 

But that's the difference. If she was making zero revenue from the game, not trying to make a profit, I don't see why the VHSL would interject. 

Is it somewhere on the ticket saying that? What if a parent wants to record the game their son is playing in, does the VHSL make an issue there? I'm curious. I figured there were rules around broadcasting games over radio or the internet and making money off of them, but if it's not for profit, I don't see why anyone would have to pay without money coming back. 

4 hours ago, BigWinners said:

How in the world can the VHSL make her pay money if she's just a fan livestreaming for no profit? If she s making money, well it's different but since when can the VHSL police fans taking pics/videos?

Because the VHSL owns all broadcast rights to playoff games. Technically what she was doing is illegal without the fee. She is in effect broadcasting the game. Whether she makes any money or not is irrelevant. She could be taking viewers and/or listeners away from other media that is paying the fee and she could be reducing ticket income. During the regular season the home team owns the rights to the game and if they so choose they can stop her. 

They can also stop you from taping a game even for your own personal use. They rarely do but they can. Of course they allow a film crew for each team to film.

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

And her community got their say and helped her raise the money to broadcast it. That’s great! Glad it was all resolved in the right 

Got caught!! Man you cant get away from media peeps and their fake news. Try getting facts first. Ill prrsonally mail salt and pepper to you for that shoe leather. 

17 minutes ago, oldfool said:

Got caught!! Man you cant get away from media peeps and their fake news. Try getting facts first. Ill prrsonally mail salt and pepper to you for that shoe leather. 

giphy.gif

Yea, the money was raised rather quickly for her to show the game.

I'm a parent of a player on the team (had two but one graduated last year) and I can say that I loved the streaming for the fact that my boys grandparents in PA and FL could tune in a see their grand kids play football on Friday night.  I'll bet between them, aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends of the family my boys had 2 dozen folks watching those games. 

Now what I hated about the streaming was that there was "able body" folks sitting in restaurants in Appomattox or having friends to their homes on Friday nights to watch the game.  That left a lot of empty seats in the bleachers, seats that the kids looked up and saw empty. Sure there are those in Appo with health issues or just older folks that can't take the cold this time of year.  LOVE the streaming for them.  But even Coach Smith (who I think most folks them know of him have respect for) has even asked that people come out to the game to support the kids. 

In saying all that.  Those folks from Graham, please enjoy the live stream and feel free to stay home.  😀😀

Nah... Prayers for a safe trip for all you traveling. 

Go GMEN,I will say something about the VHSL and the money grabbing ADMINS. they are out for themselves ,where does all the money go?????Oh yeah the meetings they hold in warm weather states in FEB. near sand and ocean. The VHSL profit from the underage athletes who love playing a game.Broadcast fees for someone who gets nothing???It should be noted that WCYB, and other broadcast radio stations made many $$$$$ by sales of ad time , so its different.I have messaged CHERYL several times over the years about the losses APPO.suffered with kids taking their own lives and car wrecks ect, and she was so kind when a cheerleader from UNION lost her mother to murder.The VHSL HAS POLICY, but it doesnt serve VIRGINIA and the tax base that supports these schools and programs.The VHSL would have you believe that they pay for everything in athletic programs at the high school level , when in fact they pay for less than 1% of the monies spent......but of course they are self appointed and self serving to give themselves big titles and larger salaries. The gate should be split after expenses are paid but it will not and most if not all of the monies will be used to promote equality (yeah right) in athletics in VA. 

1 hour ago, jarhead24219 said:

Go GMEN,I will say something about the VHSL and the money grabbing ADMINS. they are out for themselves ,where does all the money go?????Oh yeah the meetings they hold in warm weather states in FEB. near sand and ocean. The VHSL profit from the underage athletes who love playing a game.Broadcast fees for someone who gets nothing???It should be noted that WCYB, and other broadcast radio stations made many $$$$$ by sales of ad time , so its different.I have messaged CHERYL several times over the years about the losses APPO.suffered with kids taking their own lives and car wrecks ect, and she was so kind when a cheerleader from UNION lost her mother to murder.The VHSL HAS POLICY, but it doesnt serve VIRGINIA and the tax base that supports these schools and programs.The VHSL would have you believe that they pay for everything in athletic programs at the high school level , when in fact they pay for less than 1% of the monies spent......but of course they are self appointed and self serving to give themselves big titles and larger salaries. The gate should be split after expenses are paid but it will not and most if not all of the monies will be used to promote equality (yeah right) in athletics in VA. 

I know the team and Appomattox as a whole prayed for the cheerleader that year.  Pretty sure we had a moment of silence for her at our next game. 

You are correct that teams should get at least a portion of the gate for these games. 

1 hour ago, jarhead24219 said:

Sounds like you are talking about the WVSSAC...lol.

16 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I read on the other board that one of our good Ridgeview friends on this board is pulling for Appomattox, lol. I want to voice my support for Gate City, Union or Central to take the M7 next year😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂! If any of y’all three go on to play past Regionals, I’ll gladly cheer you on my compadres! #RegionDSticksTogether 

Go GMen! Let’s bring back that win to Region D for all of us!!!! 

I never said the words... "I'm pulling for Appomattox."

I just said the words "I'm not pulling for Graham."  :)

I explained further my reasoning on the other forum... if you don't like that then Hear that?  That's the world's smallest violin playing for you.

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, BoBob said:

Yea, the money was raised rather quickly for her to show the game.

I'm a parent of a player on the team (had two but one graduated last year) and I can say that I loved the streaming for the fact that my boys grandparents in PA and FL could tune in a see their grand kids play football on Friday night.  I'll bet between them, aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends of the family my boys had 2 dozen folks watching those games. 

Now what I hated about the streaming was that there was "able body" folks sitting in restaurants in Appomattox or having friends to their homes on Friday nights to watch the game.  That left a lot of empty seats in the bleachers, seats that the kids looked up and saw empty. Sure there are those in Appo with health issues or just older folks that can't take the cold this time of year.  LOVE the streaming for them.  But even Coach Smith (who I think most folks them know of him have respect for) has even asked that people come out to the game to support the kids. 

In saying all that.  Those folks from Graham, please enjoy the live stream and feel free to stay home.  😀😀

Nah... Prayers for a safe trip for all you traveling. 

Well here is one old Graham fan traveling to the game from Staunton so save me a handicap parking spot and seating spot for my wife and I because streaming or not we are coming to the game.

6 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I just said the words "I'm not pulling for Graham."  🙂

Hear that?  That's the world's smallest violin playing for you.

image.jpeg.decbf172c8577687020b86fd62ccd880.jpeg

image.jpeg

So then guess you do not have the courage to acknowledge the fact that you are pulling against your region  and cannot say Graham 

25 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I explained further my reasoning on the other forum... if you don't like that then Hear that?  That's the world's smallest violin playing for you.

image.jpeg

I can go along with the argument of "THAT" fan. I work with a couple guys that are Richlands fans. One of them in particular is "THAT" fan. Let me tell you when you work with someone 5-7 days a week and all you hear about is Richlands football it will wear your head out!! When Richlands played Appo a few years ago. I was like @Blue 72 when he said it was hard to swallow but he would be pulling for Graham. Well that was me pulling for Richlands. Lol. 

Safe travels to you and the rest of the folks heading to Appo on Saturday.

32 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

image.jpeg

Buddy, the comment was all in good fun i.e. the multiple 😂😂😂😂😂😂. Nobody is whining just kidding around. Geez.... If Ridgeview makes it out of Region D next year, I'll cheer for them.  People can't take a joke these days. 

43 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Buddy, the comment was all in good fun i.e. the multiple 😂😂😂😂😂😂. Nobody is whining just kidding around. Geez.... If Ridgeview makes it out of Region D next year, I'll cheer for them.  People can't take a joke these days. 

No offense taken pal.  It's all good.  

1 hour ago, ghs73 said:

So then guess you do not have the courage to acknowledge the fact that you are pulling against your region  and cannot say Graham 

Honestly, I am one of those guys that when my team gets knocked out, I don't care who wins after that.  Used to, my only thing was, I had the philosophy that whoever knocks my team out, then I CAN'T pull for them to win it all, but I even put that aside this year since I have a fellow Haysi bud who is on the Central coaching staff.

I still don't care one way or the other who wins it all.  I just love high school football man and want to see a close, competitive, down to the last second contest.  I love it so much man, that I drove all the way to Dayton, Ohio several weeks ago just to watch a Thursday night game between two Dayton city rivals in probably the coldest temperatures I've ever dealt with, mind numbing wind and pouring snow.

While I have the upmost respect for Doug Smith and what he has done for that program, I will root for any team in any region that is playing against Appo except for Gretna for reasons that some may or may not know. When Appo and Gretna played last week, I was hoping that they both would lose somehow. GO G-MEN!

2 hours ago, SWVAgridiron said:

While I have the upmost respect for Doug Smith and what he has done for that program, I will root for any team in any region that is playing against Appo except for Gretna for reasons that some may or may not know. When Appo and Gretna played last week, I was hoping that they both would lose somehow. GO G-MEN!

Reason why, or just cause they were hard on Giles for three years? 

Appreciate the respect for Coach.  Feel very blessed to have had him over my boys!

16 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Because the VHSL owns all broadcast rights to playoff games. Technically what she was doing is illegal without the fee. She is in effect broadcasting the game. Whether she makes any money or not is irrelevant. She could be taking viewers and/or listeners away from other media that is paying the fee and she could be reducing ticket income. During the regular season the home team owns the rights to the game and if they so choose they can stop her. 

They can also stop you from taping a game even for your own personal use. They rarely do but they can. Of course they allow a film crew for each team to film.

The top part I get, the bottom part I dont. Broadcasting at very least implies showing it live to an audience. Recording it for personal use, if I was a parent and got confronted I would raise hell. 

4 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

The top part I get, the bottom part I dont. Broadcasting at very least implies showing it live to an audience. Recording it for personal use, if I was a parent and got confronted I would raise hell. 

What the VHSL doesn't want is someone selling a "tape" of the game. If the VHSL has sold the dvd rights to a playoff game to a production company they may step in. The logic would be that the production company is losing sales. I don't know if there is a contract for this game and actually I doubt it. But for championship games there often is exclusive rights to film given to video production companies and those companies what the rights that they paid for protected.

6 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

And they STILL haven't caught that lowlife. Breaks my heart every time I think about it. 

Seriously?? Thought i read something about the boyfriend being charged. Damn.