No live stream for the Graham and Appomattox game unless 500 bucks is raised for vhsl

#1BLUESFAN

A message from Cheryl Ellis who does the Facebook Live games: 

"For those of you that were planning on watching the state semi final game  through Facebook LIVE on Saturday, I have to pay $500 to the VHSL. The school NOR I get any of this money. This money goes to VHSL for the Facebook broadcast. If anyone (business or group) wants to "sponsor" the Facebook live, I will definitely give recognition! Let me know so I can get the money to the VHSL by Friday. Without this support, I will be unable to Livestream the game. If you have any questions, please contact me!"

3 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

The VH$L going to charge her for doing a Facebook live event on her personal page? Sounds about right. I watched some of her video last week against Gretna. She does a good job. 

That's what's on Appomattox Facebook page..i hope enough people can come together to raise it...id pay 5 or 10 bucks to get to watch it

VHSL claims to have sole rights to VHSL sanctioned games/events, semis and finals. 

Now that they're aware of her, she will pay or they will sue. Happened to a local access channel from Wise Co in the late 90s or early 00s.

Think it's up to the districts and regions to police regular season and regional tournaments. I believe the Mountain 7 charges $2000 to live stream a football game. Not sure how readily they enforce it though. 

9 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

VHSL claims to have sole rights to VHSL sanctioned games/events, semis and finals. 

Now that they're aware of her, she will pay or they will sue. Happened to a local access channel from Wise Co in the late 90s or early 00s.

Think it's up to the districts and regions to police regular season and regional tournaments. I believe the Mountain 7 charges $2000 to live stream a football game. Not sure how readily they enforce it though. 

Learn something new everyday.

As of about an hour ago, she had already raised $350.

This from her page.

For those that want to help pay for the Facebook live feed. Unfortunately, there is not enough time for GoFundMe, so I created a "money pool" through PayPal. You can also give through Facebook messenger. I have already gotten $350 tonight!! Here is the account info for PayPal https://paypal.me/pools/c/8kwNKKXKYW
If you don't feel comfortable doing either one of these, let me know!
Thank you for all of your support tonight! You don't know how much I appreciate each one of you!

2 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

That is total bullshit

What is also bullshit is broadcast fees for radio. They want money from stations to broadcast games and then these same schools ask the stations to air their closures, fundraisers, etc for free....

19 minutes ago, cityofRaven said:

What is also bullshit is broadcast fees for radio. They want money from stations to broadcast games and then these same schools ask the stations to air their closures, fundraisers, etc for free....

Agree...I meant bullshit on the VHSL making this woman give them money for what I assume is something she is doing simply for people not able to make the game...and I hope she isn't making money off it...I doubt she is but you never know

43 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Agree...I meant bullshit on the VHSL making this woman give them money for what I assume is something she is doing simply for people not able to make the game...and I hope she isn't making money off it...I doubt she is but you never know

She makes nothing from it and it actually cost her to travel to games and she has no kids on the team.

And she does a very good job.  She is also kind enough to raise the money to meet the request of the VHSL., so folks can watch it.  I have watched a few times and make sure that I thank her for her efforts.  If anybody else watches, please thank this kind lady, because she has put a lot of effort into letting folks see the game.

8 hours ago, oldfool said:

She makes nothing from it and it actually cost her to travel to games and she has no kids on the team.

Yeah. I watch the feeds occasionally. Seems like a selfless person who is doing this FOR others and not herself. 

2 hours ago, 50kw said:

How and why should it be different for a FB Live broadcast than it is for any other media outlet?

I would guess FB Live is not "For Profit" like TV stations are.  Those who share FB Live stuff aren't selling advertising and it generally individual with no media passes or credentials to events is my guess

With her Facebook Live she is in deed taking away from radio stations who put in work to broadcast these games to fans.

Anyone can put a camera up and let people see the game, but people who put in work to do a professional broadcast for their local school, doing research about both teams, taking time to travel for little or no pay, etc, and STILL have to pay schools/districts/regions/VHSL broadcast fees are always the ones who suffer. 

20 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

No thanks...I'd prefer to go to Salem or Botetourt anyway....sure not making that long ass drive for 2 other teams lol

Yeah I’m in the same boat. Which game you think will be better Salem or LB?