Score Updates-Virginia Semifinals- (12/7/19)

tbgfan

9 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

I'm sorry but it's the right call according to the rule

like i said i guess these are the rules. this is football now. just gotta get used to it. five or so years ago not sure if that call is made. you just gotta get in their way or let them run into you.

7 minutes ago, BBHoops_18 said:

like i said i guess these are the rules. this is football now. just gotta get used to it. five or so years ago not sure if that call is made. you just gotta get in their way or let them run into you.

Yep....just can't crack back on a defensive player....have to know that before the game

14 hours ago, jonah58 said:

Same thing happened (not anyone on this board) by individuals from ridgeview community when central won the playoff game. Blaming the refs for the fog..... saying the game shouldn't have been played.... even going so far as inventing mulitple phantom TD's being called back, which never happened. Not a knock on all Ridgeview fans, but I found it strange to hear and see those comments about the fog. Correct me if I am wrong, but both teams played in the same fog?!?!?

You're right man... I can't stand being in the stands when we're losing... I have already hinted the reasons we lost that game and it had nothing to do with the officials.

8 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

If it happened to Graham in that situation you would be upset I bet

I didn't say it wasn't the right call by the rules. I'm just saying you can't play good hard hitting football anymore. There are times when refs overreact and a hard hit it just that. 

4 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Sissyfication of football 

I’d prefer kids not get needless concussions just to feed an ego about “big hits.”

It’s not the sissyfication of football. It’s making the game safe.

I like the rule and the player safety it is bringing. You can easily run in front of that defender and he can’t make the play. You don’t need to try to hit stick him and risk a concussion. I’ve had several. They aren’t fun. And it’s hits like some of these crackbacks that make me serious question if I’ll let my newborn son play the game. 

18 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I’d prefer kids not get needless concussions just to feed an ego about “big hits.”

I like the rule and the player safety it is bringing. You can easily run in front of that defender and he can’t make the play. You don’t need to try to hit stick him and risk a concussion. I’ve had several. They aren’t fun. And it’s hits like some of these crackbacks that make me serious question if I’ll let my newborn son play the game. 

So you let them hit you?

2 minutes ago, BBHoops_18 said:

So you let them hit you?

I think what he's trying to say is this. I'll use the punt Graham had called back as an example. When someone on the return team is coming back towards the punt returner and blocks a defender from his "blind side". Instead of laying into him now you are basically supposed to run in front of him and basically get in his way. I have seen some players now even go as far as holding their hands up in the air somewhat like a basketball defender.  

Football is a violent game by nature. Convincing high school kids to go full throttle all game and then hoping they slam on the brakes in cases like this can be difficult. But.......that's the rule. We have to adapt whether we like it or not.

6 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

I think what he's trying to say is this. I'll use the punt Graham had called back as an example. When someone on the return team is coming back towards the punt returner and blocks a defender from his "blind side". Instead of laying into him now you are basically supposed to run in front of him and basically get in his way. I have seen some players now even go as far as holding their hands up in the air somewhat like a basketball defender.  

Football is a violent game by nature. Convincing high school kids to go full throttle all game and then hoping they slam on the brakes in cases like this can be difficult. But.......that's the rule. We have to adapt whether we like it or not.

I think you can actually "blind side" so to speak, if you actually lead with your hands and it's not a "pancake" block. I think the idea is to eliminate the helmet to helmet contact, and subsequently,  the helmet to ground contact. Just my understanding of it.

46 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I believe safety is a concern & most rules are good. I do think some refs throw flags needlessly on good.clean hard hits. On the other hand, they have a split second to decide.

Speaking of safety and what’s appropriate and you mentioning whether or not you’ll let yours play.  I wouldn’t let my child play in any youth league that puts 5 year olds in full gear. Their bodies aren’t ready for that and it’s dangerous. Kids should be playing flag football until they hit a middle school team in my opinion not only for the safety issue, growth issues, but also learning incorrect techniques etc. 11 or 12 at the earliest for full pads... 

13 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I believe safety is a concern & most rules are good. I do think some refs throw flags needlessly on good.clean hard hits. On the other hand, they have a split second to decide.

Speaking of safety and what’s appropriate and you mentioning whether or not you’ll let yours play.  I wouldn’t let my child play in any youth league that puts 5 year olds in full gear. Their bodies aren’t ready for that and it’s dangerous. Kids should be playing flag football until they hit a middle school team in my opinion not only for the safety issue, growth issues, but also learning incorrect techniques etc. 11 or 12 at the earliest for full pads... 

A few years ago I would have disagreed with you completely. Today, I will agree with you especially on 5 year olds in full pads. You will be very surprised what kids learn in little league will carry over to high school. Both good and bad. I see kids today that block a certain way or attempt a certain "move" at the high school level all because they were taught that in the little league. I could give several examples but I better keep my mouth shut.😂

8 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

A few years ago I would have disagreed with you completely. Today, I will agree with you especially on 5 year olds in full pads. You will be very surprised what kids learn in little league will carry over to high school. Both good and bad. I see kids today that block a certain way or attempt a certain "move" at the high school level all because they were taught that in the little league. I could give several examples but I better keep my mouth shut.😂

Years of bad technique and habits are hard to break whether it’s football or something else. 

10 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

I have said for years that kids don't need to start playing football until 6th grade.

4 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

that guy definitely makes the tackle if you don't put a body on him. i don't think just trying to run in his way is going to suffice. i just don't know what you want the guys to do. https://www.hudl.com/profile/11364702/Xayvion-Bradshaw