With Region D out this year, who are the super early favorites next year?

Westisthebest

I don’t know a whole lot about D but RV has been my favorite the last two years but it seems like they’re cursed. I know nothing about Central but everyone thinks they could be the top dog in D so I’ll just jump on the bandwagon and go with them. I think Graham, Union, RV will battle for second place and Richlands might sneak into the top four. But Appo, Radford, and Gretna will be better than anyone in D IMO as long as Radford doesn’t lose their 3 best athletes again. 

6 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Wise.

Wise basically loses one lineman who made an impact. Technically they lose 3, but one of them didnt start until game 4 after the sophomore center got hurt, and another split time with a freshman who was just as good. The entire defense returns. All the offensive skill players return. Several freshmen who will be sophomores will compete for starting jobs.

Wise will be loaded.

What about gc?   Can housright continue the rebuild ?   Surprised a lot of people. People said Owens should have been coach of year....my vote would have been gc’s staff.  

I really know little about ins and outs of high school football but pretend like I do. I think Central has to be a favorite in Region D. As far as SWD, I could see Tazewell maybe pulling it off next year. Gate City might also be in the mix for M7. 

19 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I really know little about ins and outs of high school football but pretend like I do. I think Central has to be a favorite in Region D. As far as SWD, I could see Tazewell maybe pulling it off next year. Gate City might also be in the mix for M7. 

I think Gate City loses quite a few key players? I may be wrong though....

10 minutes ago, jonah58 said:

If that’s true then Central should definitely be a favorite over them as well. Like I said, I’m really clueless and especially clueless on what M7 teams bring back and/or lose as far as starters and key players. 

I think the Blues will be a 7 or 8 win team next year.need some of the younger guys get with the program and hit the weight room..hopefully there will be some skilled players step up sage can't get the ball ever play...cox will be a decent QB but has a chance to be very good by his sr season

8 hours ago, who? said:

What about gc?   Can housright continue the rebuild ?   Surprised a lot of people. People said Owens should have been coach of year....my vote would have been gc’s staff.  

7 hours ago, jonah58 said:

Yea, GC had many seniors. They lose several key players. They do return #11, but not sure what they have coming up.

As for Union, several good players will be lost, but lots of talent to replace them. The key to the Bears' success the next 2 years will be the QB spot. Who and how that role is handled will determine good vs great seasons. The other pieces will be there.

13 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

I'd like to go with Wise Central, but apparently Luke Owens is not that good of a coach. 

Well te be fair he hadnt done much with any other group.  This groups of kids have been brought up by other coaches and from what i hear they are still helping and calling the shots.  

17 minutes ago, That_guy said:

Think I'll wait til summer to make this call. A lot of unhappy parents with talented kids at Central, Union, and Burton. 

Why would you have unhappy parents at Burton and Central?  Both teams had great seasons.  Not so sure about Union.

You can't make everyone happy, but coaches play the people that perform the best.

20 minutes ago, That_guy said:

Think I'll wait til summer to make this call. A lot of unhappy parents with talented kids at Central, Union, and Burton. 

I’ve never understood all that school transfer stuff. How can kids not be loyal to the school they grew up in?  That’s hard for me to comprehend.  We don’t have very much of that in this part of the region in football, anyways. Sometimes in basketball, but its mostly the parents, not the kids. And how many of these transfers go D1 anyway?  Seems like a lot of unnecessary drama to me but I may be missing something. And as far as Burton, they should be happy with what they did this year, especially with all that off field stuff at the beginning of the season.  Their coaching came along way from game 2 to the playoffs and so did their team.  I’d be proud to have my kid on that team. 

2 hours ago, RichRich said:

Well te be fair he hadnt done much with any other group.  This groups of kids have been brought up by other coaches and from what i hear they are still helping and calling the shots.  

This is funny. The youth league coaches these kids had were a really good group of guys that did great with these kids. The 8th grade guys did good but only played the best 12-14 kids which may bite them in the long run only time will tell. But by no means are any of these guys out there calling the shots on the varsity field. A few are there helping out at practice but are not making decisions on anything. As far as before now not one group he’s ever had was able to stick together like these young guys have. Every year Owens has been head coach he’s dealt with injury to his best players and half the players deciding just not to play anymore. This is the first time a group has held together this long and most are sophomores. If they’ll stick together and stay injury free and develop a line and a short passing game they’ll be hard to beat the next couple seasons. That’s a lot of developing but if they don’t teams will learn to stop the running game. 

1 hour ago, SWVAHSFF said:

This is funny. The youth league coaches these kids had were a really good group of guys that did great with these kids. The 8th grade guys did good but only played the best 12-14 kids which may bite them in the long run only time will tell. But by no means are any of these guys out there calling the shots on the varsity field. A few are there helping out at practice but are not making decisions on anything. As far as before now not one group he’s ever had was able to stick together like these young guys have. Every year Owens has been head coach he’s dealt with injury to his best players and half the players deciding just not to play anymore. This is the first time a group has held together this long and most are sophomores. If they’ll stick together and stay injury free and develop a line and a short passing game they’ll be hard to beat the next couple seasons. That’s a lot of developing but if they don’t teams will learn to stop the running game. 

Even one of the parents called in after the union  game I think  and  said Owens finally started listening to what they were telling him.  He has a great group of kids that could make most coaches look good.  But folks acting like he is now the bear Bryant of swva  football are silly

I don’t think that you can count out Graham just yet. Turner and Meadows are returning standouts. Throw in Connor Roberts, Zach Blevins, Jimir Blevins and a few contributing players, they have something to build on. If Tazewell is going to take that step forward, they have to beat Graham and Richlands. Losing by a combined 80 plus points to your rivals shows that even with all their talent they don’t believe they can win. And  beating 1A teams may fluff up  your record a little but it won’t carry you through the playoffs. Richlands may struggle next year especially with a tough schedule. But they may surprise too. I think Wise and Ridgeview will be front runners, with a nod going to Wise.

39 minutes ago, RichRich said:

Even one of the parents called in after the union  game I think  and  said Owens finally started listening to what they were telling him.  He has a great group of kids that could make most coaches look good.  But folks acting like he is now the bear Bryant of swva  football are silly

Parents can talk all they want. There’s more to the coaching staff than one man. He’s got several assistants that have done a good job this year. Nobody is calling the shots but the coaches on the staff.