With Region D out this year, who are the super early favorites next year?

Westisthebest

13 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

And Princeton.

14 hours ago, Unchained said:

Lee High as well

20 hours ago, SWVAHSFF said:

It’s crazy to think these coaches are letting the parents make the calls as you stated earlier. And no he isn’t a coach but knows more than you do. 

It can be summed up pretty simply in most cases I think.  They all follow the Golden Rule.  He who has the gold makes the rules.  I know this political fact was the case several years ago at Tazewell with one coach in particular.  Also a certain sideline doctor got ticked off about his girl not playing volleyball after she was rightly suspended for something and he defected up the road.  Makes me sick that he is back now. 

Very easy to get rid of a coach not doing what you want him to do if the team is average or even above average when the purse strings are overflowing from some high members of society.  Much easier to ignore when you are bringing titles or championships back.  Problem is most coaches aren't given long enough to turn the program.

3 hours ago, stu_bean said:

It can be summed up pretty simply in most cases I think.  They all follow the Golden Rule.  He who has the gold makes the rules.  I know this political fact was the case several years ago at Tazewell with one coach in particular.  Also a certain sideline doctor got ticked off about his girl not playing volleyball after she was rightly suspended for something and he defected up the road.  Makes me sick that he is back now. 

Very easy to get rid of a coach not doing what you want him to do if the team is average or even above average when the purse strings are overflowing from some high members of society.  Much easier to ignore when you are bringing titles or championships back.  Problem is most coaches aren't given long enough to turn the program.

That's the thing with the coach at central. He was on the hot seat for poor performances  in the past.  Quite a few wanted him gone before this group of  central kids started.   He had to start listening or be  let go.

7 hours ago, RichRich said:

That's the thing with the coach at central. He was on the hot seat for poor performances  in the past.  Quite a few wanted him gone before this group of  central kids started.   He had to start listening or be  let go.

If he left it would be by his own doing. Takes huge shoulders to coach at any high school around here. This isn’t college. It’s high school. The county is so broke they can’t just hire and fire like colleges do.😂😂😂

On 12/10/2019 at 8:08 AM, jarhead24219 said:

too young to drive, so yes he was young, this isnt GATE CITY,where you are 19 years old as a holdback

Not gonna get in a pissing match with you I've played and watched enough football to know when someone can play a position of not.  If your related to him I'm sorry because you and 1 other person are the only 2 who think he should be starter.

2 hours ago, goose111874 said:

Not gonna get in a pissing match with you I've played and watched enough football to know when someone can play a position of not.  If your related to him I'm sorry because you and 1 other person are the only 2 who think he should be starter.

well the coaches thought he was the best option. since you know so much why dont you tell travis who the qb should be so it can be fixed and we can not talk about it anymore

34 minutes ago, The U Bear said:

well the coaches thought he was the best option. since you know so much why dont you tell travis who the qb should be so it can be fixed and we can not talk about it anymore

I don't want to come across as bashing Gibson. He is a talented young man. However, there is a difference between best and only.

Andy Jones was clearly in line to be the starter until he moved. Bunch didn't play his 8th or 9th grade years then came out this year. He could have easily started talent wise, but wasn't going to due to taking 2 years off.

Same thing happened to Lucas Holcomb in 2011 and Trey Lomax in 2013. Those positions were easier to phase in. Can't throw a QB in the game during the middle of the season. 

9 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I don't want to come across as bashing Gibson. He is a talented young man. However, there is a difference between best and only.

Andy Jones was clearly in line to be the starter until he moved. Bunch didn't play his 8th or 9th grade years then came out this year. He could have easily started talent wise, but wasn't going to due to taking 2 years off.

Same thing happened to Lucas Holcomb in 2011 and Trey Lomax in 2013. Those positions were easier to phase in. Can't throw a QB in the game during the middle of the season. 

like i said go tell travis so he will play the guy you want. i think the coach sees more during the week than we see on fridays and makes his decisions on what he thinks is best for the team. you are correct jones was supposed to be the qb but left so drody was thrown in there and done a pretty good job imo. nobody was talking about the qb position when we beat graham

I guess I'm coming off as bashing him and I'm not.  He's a great athlete and could be used in other ways but dropping back and throwing the ball isn't one of them.  It's not his fault he is apparently the only option i guess.

Gibson wasn't the only option, Lester had taken snaps at QB in the Union system before. 

I also don't know who else people expected to be the QB, as you said there weren't many choices and I don't believe Gibson got a fair shot anyway, the offense did him no favors at all.

As an unbiased person in this conversation. Union overachieved in a big way.  The early success was not anticipated in my opinion.  I know they struggled at end of year with injuries but when I watched them over the summer at 7v7 and in the preseason I really thought they were a 6-4 team. 7-3 at best.  Don’t know about the qb situation but coach turner is pretty good at this football thing. Very good.  

3 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Gibson wasn't the only option, Lester had taken snaps at QB in the Union system before. 

I also don't know who else people expected to be the QB, as you said there weren't many choices and I don't believe Gibson got a fair shot anyway, the offense did him no favors at all.

Lester wasn't a real option. I'm sure you saw that "experiment " in '17.

3 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

thank you. the kid did his best. if you ask him he didnt wanna be the qb. he was asked to do it for his team and he stepped up and ok imo

Just now, Union_Fan said:

Lester wasn't a real option. I'm sure you saw that "experiment " in '17.

The way Union had the offense running, I don't know why Lester wasn't given a shot to run an option or single wing style attack with his athleticism. He wasn't a great drop back passer in 2017, but I'm sure he's improved and his athleticism would have been a positive as a runner I think. But Gibson seemed like a better passing option than Lester, but Union didn't attempt much of a passing attack anyway lol

2 minutes ago, Tiger 2000 said:

As an unbiased person in this conversation. Union overachieved in a big way.  The early success was not anticipated in my opinion.  I know they struggled at end of year with injuries but when I watched them over the summer at 7v7 and in the preseason I really thought they were a 6-4 team. 7-3 at best.  Don’t know about the qb situation but coach turner is pretty good at this football thing. Very good.  

They did overachieve. 6-4 was the popular guess, amongst the crowd, at the scrimmage and benefit game. Including some people VERY close to the team. 

1 minute ago, BigWinners said:

The way Union had the offense running, I don't know why Lester wasn't given a shot to run an option or single wing style attack with his athleticism. He wasn't a great drop back passer in 2017, but I'm sure he's improved and his athleticism would have been a positive as a runner I think. But Gibson seemed like a better passing option than Lester, but Union didn't attempt much of a passing attack anyway lol

I'll certainly agree that Gibson was a better passing option than Lester.

Pretty sure I mentioned here, in '17, that Lester would have made a good triple option type QB.

1 minute ago, Union_Fan said:

I'll certainly agree that Gibson was a better passing option than Lester.

Pretty sure I mentioned here, in '17, that Lester would have made a good triple option type QB.

No one forsaw the Lomax injury but especially after the injury, having an option based offense with Lester as a running QB could have really helped Union and taken some of the load off Polier. 

2 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

No one forsaw the Lomax injury but especially after the injury, having an option based offense with Lester as a running QB could have really helped Union and taken some of the load off Polier. 

Speaking of Polier is Appy state still an option since coach left

31 minutes ago, The U Bear said:

like i said go tell travis so he will play the guy you want. i think the coach sees more during the week than we see on fridays and makes his decisions on what he thinks is best for the team. you are correct jones was supposed to be the qb but left so drody was thrown in there and done a pretty good job imo. nobody was talking about the qb position when we beat graham

If he doesn't listen to all the people yelling at him during a game,  he certainly isn't going to listen to my QB advice. Lol

Here's the deal, football is like that game you play with the 3D shapes that you have to put into the corresponding hole. Everyone isn't a QB, WR or RB. Lester is a great example. He may not have fit the QB spot, but he was a great DB, and is a very athletic kid in general. 

I don't think anyone is knocking Gibson personally. I realize he was thrown into a tough spot. I just think he would be better in a different role.

And for the record, I said his talents would be best served elsewhere before the season began.

8 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

If he doesn't listen to all the people yelling at him during a game,  he certainly isn't going to listen to my QB advice. Lol

Here's the deal, football is like that game you play with the 3D shapes that you have to put into the corresponding hole. Everyone isn't a QB, WR or RB. Lester is a great example. He may not have fit the QB spot, but he was a great DB, and is a very athletic kid in general. 

I don't think anyone is knocking Gibson personally. I realize he was thrown into a tough spot. I just think he would be better in a different role.

And for the record, I said his talents would be best served elsewhere before the season began.

That's what I'm trying to say but seem to be having a hard time getting thru to some.  When u say someone else should be in there it doesn't mean he is terrible he just isn't right for this offense or isn't being used right.

23 hours ago, goose111874 said:

Speaking of Polier is Appy state still an option since coach left

Pic on Union's Facebook page today of him holding his acceptance letter from there. And a congratulations on the Bear Den page. Don't know what his scholarship status is though.