SWD Thoughts on Boys/Girls

Gridiron60

5 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

We hadn't played Richlands in anything until the 2018 football playoff game.  Played them in the Region D softball quarterfinals in 2019 and girls basketball Friday night.  That's the only three all time meetings with the Blues.  Lol.

I wasn’t sure exactly how many years Ridgeview had been opened. It’s a nice looking high school & athletic facilities. Definitely, money well spent. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think Tazewell's boys have improved somewhat having watched them (could only go up).  Looks like a .500 team, maybe slightly better.  I think they will finish ahead of Marion and possibly Lebanon or V-High, but in the lower half of the district. Out of district schedule is favorable for them.   Tazewell's girls are decent and I think they will win more than they lose.  Graham's boys are down a little, but will still finish at or near the top of the district.  I think Graham and Richlands will battle for the title this year.  Graham's girls will be lucky to win 3 or 4 games.  All of this is just my opinion, of course.

On 12/27/2019 at 4:25 PM, Real Sasquatch said:

I think Tazewell's boys have improved somewhat having watched them (could only go up).  Looks like a .500 team, maybe slightly better.  I think they will finish ahead of Marion and possibly Lebanon or V-High, but in the lower half of the district. Out of district schedule is favorable for them.   Tazewell's girls are decent and I think they will win more than they lose.  Graham's boys are down a little, but will still finish at or near the top of the district.  I think Graham and Richlands will battle for the title this year.  Graham's girls will be lucky to win 3 or 4 games.  All of this is just my opinion, of course.

Richlands has beaten several single A teams while Graham lost two close ones to larger schools. I believe the one loss a couple of starters were sat out. Richlands may take it to GMen but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was vice versa. Absolutely agree on Graham girls, they’ve got a couple girls with the right guidance that could be pretty good but I don’t see that happening, not going to be a very good season for the G-Girls.  Richlands girls do have the Ball girl who seems like a decent player. I think both Tazewell teams will be average, maybe a little better. As far as other teams in district, I don’t really know what they return & how well coached they are. Final note, Graham is really missing the leadership of Drew Baker. He was a great player and had a good command of the court like a general, not sure Graham really has a so-called leader on the court this year. 

After watching Graham vs. Bluefield tonight, I dont believe this years Graham team is within 15-20 points of last years Graham team. ( which was a good team). Bluefield played sloppy and still won by 20 plus.  Poor passing, passed up a lot of open shots.  Lax defense.  Was not impressed.  They have potential, but lack agression.  No inside game.  They may finish 2nd in the SWD, but only due to lack of competition.  Richlands will beat them if they dont improve.

7 minutes ago, Burrell’s Pearls said:

If Richlands boys team wins the SWD, it’s a bad league. The M7 has 4 teams that are 10-15 points better. 

I think you’ll soon see the SWD is not a great league this year. 

I thought before the season Graham would be at top of SWD, I don’t believe Brody Meadows is playing this year. He wasn’t an all star last year but he helped team a lot in my opinion as far as height & rebounding. GMen seem to be struggling putting games away late. Grundy best them last night. Granted I don’t know how good or bad the Golden Wave is this year. I won’t be surprised if Richlands beats Graham both games in regular season. Graham may work out the kinks but right now I’m not sure they’re impressing many onlookers. Anybody have thoughts on what they need to do as far as adjustments? Admittedly, I haven’t been to a game yet only read game summaries, 

2 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I thought before the season Graham would be at top of SWD, I don’t believe Brody Meadows is playing this year. He wasn’t an all star last year but he helped team a lot in my opinion as far as height & rebounding. GMen seem to be struggling putting games away late. Grundy best them last night. Granted I don’t know how good or bad the Golden Wave is this year. I won’t be surprised if Richlands beats Graham both games in regular season. Graham may work out the kinks but right now I’m not sure they’re impressing many onlookers. Anybody have thoughts on what they need to do as far as adjustments? Admittedly, I haven’t been to a game yet only read game summaries, 

Wow... Grundy is good for a 1A school but shouldn't beat Graham.  I guess my source who said that the M7 would sweep the SWD in the first round of region tournament would be correct.

3 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

SWD’s #1 will probably beat M7’s #4.

Richlands already lost to Union, and they may not even make the tourney. Graham is prob best SWD team, but if it's Richlands, they'll not be favored I don't believe. Lee could also be the 4 and they hold a W over a team that just beat Graham. But by the end of the season, I may agree with you if Graham improves. If it's anyone else, I'm not sure.

Graham played much better against Princeton.  Guard play was exceptional.  Inside game is coming along.  Chance Dawson stepped his game up and did very well.  Graham doesn't have a lot of height, but Graves and Dawson were getting a lot of rebounds.  Graves has a good vertical.  Not as much selfish play.  Region may get a little more interesting, if Graham keeps improving.  I thought they looked pretty good, much better than they looked earlier on. They are starting to play more as a unit, then a bunch of individuals.  

Graham plays Tazewell tomorrow night.  I don't expect Tazewell to win, but I would like to see a much more competitive game then in recent past.  Tazewell looks much better then they did in the past couple of seasons, but I don't think they are ready for prime-time yet.

On 1/13/2020 at 8:06 PM, Real Sasquatch said:

Graham plays Tazewell tomorrow night.  I don't expect Tazewell to win, but I would like to see a much more competitive game then in recent past.  Tazewell looks much better then they did in the past couple of seasons, but I don't think they are ready for prime-time yet.

Graham won 79-35. Tazewell is still at the bottom it seems.