SWD Thoughts on Boys/Girls

Gridiron60

16 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Graham won 79-35. Tazewell is still at the bottom it seems. 

I think the most surprising thing was Graham girls beating Tazewell girls. The GGirls play hard but they’re just pitiful. I’m not sure what the answer is to help that program. They’ve been weak for a few seasons now. 

12 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I think the most surprising thing was Graham girls beating Tazewell girls. The GGirls play hard but they’re just pitiful. I’m not sure what the answer is to help that program. They’ve been weak for a few seasons now. 

Not making excuses, but Tazewells girls are down 3 starters.  One of which just moved to Lebanon (very good softball pitcher).  Sure are missing Lydia Lambert who decided not to play too. When the other 2 starters return, it will help.  But the lack of an inside presence is hurting them tremendously. 

3 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Not making excuses, but Tazewells girls are down 3 starters.  One of which just moved to Lebanon (very good softball pitcher).  Sure are missing Lydia Lambert who decided not to play too. When the other 2 starters return, it will help.  But the lack of an inside presence is hurting them tremendously. 

Well, that explains a lot. I wouldn’t have predicted Graham girls to win a single game. Good for them to at least get one. 

12 hours ago, GMan said:

My point is, the district is garbage on the court no matter who wins it.

Oh I 1000% agree. 

If Richlands or Graham is the best the district has to offer this season, it's not a good year for the SWD, or SWVA. The sport is better when Graham Middle is loud. Or the House of Hustle is packed and the teams are good. 

That said -- I'm still pumped to be at the game tonight. Rivalries are rivalries, no matter how good or bad the teams may be lol.

29 minutes ago, Widespread_Panic said:

When did this nickname begin? I don't recall Richlands ever being good at basketball so to call their gym the "House of Hustle" seems like false advertising. 

No idea when it started. But I know it gets loud and fun in there when the team is good and it’s a good opponent coming in. 

Its just a nickname. Not sure there’s much more to it than having a little fun. 

29 minutes ago, Widespread_Panic said:

When did this nickname begin? I don't recall Richlands ever being good at basketball so to call their gym the "House of Hustle" seems like false advertising. 

Pretty sure that tracks back to the early years of the Tom Rife era.

And to the point about the quality of basketball there, you're probably showing your age with your post and I am showing mine with this response.  Beginning with the '82-'83 season Richlands went on a consistent winning trajectory.  The Blues won the SWD tournament (under the old 11 team configuration) twice in three years and closed out the end of that decade by sweeping both regular season and tournament titles three years in a row.  Even as enrollment was beginning to decline, the program put five different teams on the court on a consistent basis (varsity, jv, 9th grade, 8th grade, and 6th/7th grade) while still cutting kids in tryouts.

Oh, and the girls were pretty good during that stretch as well. Pretty much mirroring the boys side -- although the Lady Blues actually had better success in the postseason.  1986 team lost a close game in the Class AA state semifinal (well before the basketball playoffs were expanded to 6 groups).

All of this contributed to a solid identity for Richlands as a "basketball school."

21 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Graham won 68-57. 
Richlands was up 10 midway through the 3rd and Graham switched to a full court press and Richlands couldn’t break it consistently. Simmons had 32 but it wasn't enough. 

This, and Chance Dawson played out of his mind the 2nd half. 

The rest of this series this year will be fun.

22 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

No idea when it started. But I know it gets loud and fun in there when the team is good and it’s a good opponent coming in. 

Its just a nickname. Not sure there’s much more to it than having a little fun. 

I remember playing basketball in junior high ('79-'81...telling my age there), RMS was very loud then...

11 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Graham won 68-57. 
Richlands was up 10 midway through the 3rd and Graham switched to a full court press and Richlands couldn’t break it consistently. Simmons had 32 but it wasn't enough. 

Had Graham played full court press the entire time, they would have won by 25 or 30, not sure why Baker didn't do that. Simmons played hard & was definitely the best on the court last night for the Blues. I'd say the refs called about as many fouls as Simmons scored points. I hate games where the refs call every little thing and don't let them play ball. I realize it's a split second decision but good grief they gave those whistles a workout last night. Lastly, neither team will make it out of the region IMO. SWD is sadly very weak. 

On 1/17/2020 at 8:30 AM, RichlandsAlum said:

Pretty sure that tracks back to the early years of the Tom Rife era.

And to the point about the quality of basketball there, you're probably showing your age with your post and I am showing mine with this response.  Beginning with the '82-'83 season Richlands went on a consistent winning trajectory.  The Blues won the SWD tournament (under the old 11 team configuration) twice in three years and closed out the end of that decade by sweeping both regular season and tournament titles three years in a row.  Even as enrollment was beginning to decline, the program put five different teams on the court on a consistent basis (varsity, jv, 9th grade, 8th grade, and 6th/7th grade) while still cutting kids in tryouts.

Oh, and the girls were pretty good during that stretch as well. Pretty much mirroring the boys side -- although the Lady Blues actually had better success in the postseason.  1986 team lost a close game in the Class AA state semifinal (well before the basketball playoffs were expanded to 6 groups).

All of this contributed to a solid identity for Richlands as a "basketball school."

According to the banners hanging on the wall I saw last night, the Lady Blues had a good run from 2011, 2012, & 2013. 

16 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I hate games where the refs call every little thing and don't let them play ball. I realize it's a split second decision but good grief they gave those whistles a workout last night.

This sentiment is why the games are so uneven. Some teams foul relentlessly in the name of “defense” and officials will eventually stop calling it to get the game over quicker. Barry Reed teams, vintage Gate City teams etc would ride you from the opening tip knowing that refs wouldn’t have the stomach to call them all. 

If you don’t like all those fouls being called-tell your coaches to teach better defense