SWD Thoughts on Boys/Girls

Gridiron60

On 1/17/2020 at 3:21 AM, Ryan4VT said:

Oh I 1000% agree. 

If Richlands or Graham is the best the district has to offer this season, it's not a good year for the SWD, or SWVA. The sport is better when Graham Middle is loud. Or the House of Hustle is packed and the teams are good. 

That said -- I'm still pumped to be at the game tonight. Rivalries are rivalries, no matter how good or bad the teams may be lol.

Another disappointing night on the court...

District Standings through 1/17/20...

1- Graham 4-0  7-4

2- Richlands 3-1  7-6

3*- V-High 2-2  6-7 

4*- Lebanon 2-2  5-9

5- Tazewell 1-3  3-7

6- Marion 0-4  3-13

*- V-High won head to head with Lebanon

Richlands vs Graham on Friday night was First basketball game I have been too in several years .  The place was packed.  The game was great.   Atmosphere was great.  It was a Tie game late into the 4th quarter. Richlands blew a 10 point lead just before half but the third quarter and most of 4 th was back and fourth. .  Basketball may be down in the SWD but those 2 teams had athletes and it was a very ,  very entertaining game and competitive.  I’ll be back for the rest of the district games at home.  Webb needs to shoot the ball. He drove  To the basket effortless at times and didn’t shoot much at all.  Cade Simmons must have had 30 + points. Graves and Bradshaw were sooo athletic but one of Graham’s perimeter players moved to the foul line in the third quarter and may not have missed a shot.  Both teams played hard.  It was a good game.

How is Va High this year ?    

11 hours ago, Tiger 2000 said:

Richlands vs Graham on Friday night was First basketball game I have been too in several years .  The place was packed.  The game was great.   Atmosphere was great.  It was a Tie game late into the 4th quarter. Richlands blew a 10 point lead just before half but the third quarter and most of 4 th was back and fourth. .  Basketball may be down in the SWD but those 2 teams had athletes and it was a very ,  very entertaining game and competitive.  I’ll be back for the rest of the district games at home.  Webb needs to shoot the ball. He drove  To the basket effortless at times and didn’t shoot much at all.  Cade Simmons must have had 30 + points. Graves and Bradshaw were sooo athletic but one of Graham’s perimeter players moved to the foul line in the third quarter and may not have missed a shot.  Both teams played hard.  It was a good game.

How is Va High this year ?    

Cade had 32. Graham's press was the difference. The game at GMS will be just a fun as this one was.

Yes.  Press was difference.   Richlands forced graham out of their press in the Second quarter by scoring several easy buckets.  Once graham erased the 10 point deficit and they managed to not get any deeper into foul trouble. (They had a few  players with  3  in the first half and managed to keep them from picking up a 4th.)  That was crucial for them to be able to press the whole game.  It was fun !! Several people have said that was the best Richlands has played all year.  I was hearing that the b ball team was way down but I though they played pretty good. I’ll come back anyway. I enjoyed it !! Both teams. 

On 1/25/2020 at 10:23 PM, Real Sasquatch said:

Graham defeated Pulaski County 71-60 today at GMS.  Looking much better then early in the season.

Bluefield cleaned the GMen's clock at the Armory. Bluefield is physical and aggressive. No one could really stop Sean Martin underneath. He just had a great size advantage. I wouldn't say his basketball skills are Superior to some of the GMen he's just got the height & size that helps him against physically smaller teams. GMen did well against Tazewell tonight but it's Tazewell. 

4 hours ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

Obviously Graham is the best team in the SWD followed by Richlands in a shaky second. It will be interesting to see how Graham stacks up against Gate City, Wise Central or Union in the region when they meet.

Not very well lol. I expect a M7 sweep in the first round of the region. SWD is not good. Graham included. Graham will likely host a Union or Lee and so will Richlands and I don’t think either can keep up with them. 

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

Not very well lol. I expect a M7 sweep in the first round of the region. SWD is not good. Graham included. Graham will likely host a Union or Lee and so will Richlands and I don’t think either can keep up with them. 

Thank you for repeating what I've been saying...

9 hours ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

Obviously Graham is the best team in the SWD followed by Richlands in a shaky second. It will be interesting to see how Graham stacks up against Gate City, Wise Central or Union in the region when they meet.

Graham lacks an inside presence and that will be their downfall.  The kids play hard and Baker is getting the most out of them.  

Graham just beat Spotswood in the Adam Ward Classic by 15. Don’t know much about them but they’re 3A and according to maxpreps have a decent record. People over on va preps in the 3A winter board think they’re one of the best teams. 

17 hours ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

I don’t think they’ll be stacking anything. M7 is better than SWD boys & girls. 

2 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I don’t think they’ll be stacking anything. M7 is better than SWD boys & girls. 

High School basketball is so unpredictable. And I'm not saying Graham is better than GC or Central but Graham does have enough skilled players that if one of those teams do have a bad game then who knows. GC & Central (mostly Central) have had some consistency issues, so cant 100% rule out an upset.

1 hour ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

High School basketball is so unpredictable. And I'm not saying Graham is better than GC or Central but Graham does have enough skilled players that if one of those teams do have a bad game then who knows. GC & Central (mostly Central) have had some consistency issues, so cant 100% rule out an upset.

Yeah.  Im not sure why so much disrespect for Graham.  I said early on that they were average at best, but they have proven themselves to me to be a pretty good ball team. They lost twice to a very good Bluefield team.  They were down starters in the first PC and Blacksburg game.(and were still very close) They are a pretty good ball club and capable of pulling the upset.  Lack of a big man will be their demise, I  still suspect.  They have aome good wins under their belt too.  

1 hour ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

Graham is good and may end up with a win once they hit regionals. They’re definitely not the caliber of the past two or three years. I didn’t mean to sound hating on them. They’ve got some talented players and Coach Baker does well with them. I’m just a realist but I hope they do pull some upsets come tourney time. 

10 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Yeah.  Im not sure why so much disrespect for Graham.  I said early on that they were average at best, but they have proven themselves to me to be a pretty good ball team. They lost twice to a very good Bluefield team.  They were down starters in the first PC and Blacksburg game.(and were still very close) They are a pretty good ball club and capable of pulling the upset.  Lack of a big man will be their demise, I  still suspect.  They have aome good wins under their belt too.  

No one is disrespecting Graham. They’re the best team in the district. They have a chance to lock in the 1 seed Tuesday against Richlands. 

But that said, if you watch the M7 teams play, you know that they are simply just better than the SWD this year. It is what it is. It’s not being disrespectful. It’s being a realist and looking at facts. Graham may be able to clip a Lee or Union at home if everything goes right. But outside of that, they aren’t gonna beat GC or Wise unless injuries happen or something of that ilk. 

Richlands with a couple of wins back to back. Beat Lebanon in OT Friday night then a shocker last night beating Grundy. The only team to beat Grundy this year before last night was I believe Lee in the Wise Tournament. 

Tuesday at Graham Middle should be fun.