SWD Thoughts on Boys/Girls

Gridiron60

On 2/1/2020 at 6:07 AM, Ryan4VT said:

Not very well lol. I expect a M7 sweep in the first round of the region. SWD is not good. Graham included. Graham will likely host a Union or Lee and so will Richlands and I don’t think either can keep up with them. 

I stated this earlier in the season as well, but now I am more inclined to agree with @UVAObserver who argued that Graham would beat the M4 seed.  Both Lee and Ridgeview are on the down trend it appears.  So I see Graham winning that first game now.

On 2/2/2020 at 9:23 AM, Ryan4VT said:

No one is disrespecting Graham. They’re the best team in the district. They have a chance to lock in the 1 seed Tuesday against Richlands. 

But that said, if you watch the M7 teams play, you know that they are simply just better than the SWD this year. It is what it is. It’s not being disrespectful. It’s being a realist and looking at facts. Graham may be able to clip a Lee or Union at home if everything goes right. But outside of that, they aren’t gonna beat GC or Wise unless injuries happen or something of that ilk. 

You're forgetting Ridgeview who is actually ahead of Lee in the standings at the moment... 😉

The same people who think that there is no chance for the SWD in Region D are the same people who in 2014 were hell bent on Richlands and Union meeting in Salem for the State-Championship...

You forget these are high school kids, and it is a one-game playoff, anything can happen.

Furthermore, I have been to a lot of games this year, and I have yet to see some of you "experts" in attendance. 

On 2/3/2020 at 2:28 PM, Burrell’s Pearls said:

On the girls side, I can’t see the SWD winning more than one game.

Yeah, you had #4 Richlands barely beat a team with one win, Graham. They beat Lebanon in overtime with one of Lebanon’s starters out I believe. SWD girls are weak. It was a long painful game watching Richlands and Graham girls play each other last night, pitiful all the way around. Some of the girls from both sides play hard but you need more than playing hard to be a decent team.  Boys game was much better until 4th when Graham pulled away significantly. I 

17 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Yeah, you had #4 Richlands barely beat a team with one win, Graham. They beat Lebanon in overtime with one of Lebanon’s starters out I believe. SWD girls are weak. It was a long painful game watching Richlands and Graham girls play each other last night, pitiful all the way around. Some of the girls from both sides play hard but you need more than playing hard to be a decent team.  Boys game was much better until 4th when Graham pulled away significantly. I 

Yeah, I believe M7 will sweep SWD in the girls Region D.

7 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Yeah, I believe M7 will sweep SWD in the girls Region D.

Would you say the top four M7 teams are all better than the top four SWD teams? Well, top five M7 really, but Abingdon won't be in tourney. I think any of GC, RV, Union or Wise would likely win the SWD. How would Lee and Battle do in the SWD? I haven't followed much GBB.

14 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Would you say the top four M7 teams are all better than the top four SWD teams? Well, top five M7 really, but Abingdon won't be in tourney. I think any of GC, RV, Union or Wise would likely win the SWD. How would Lee and Battle do in the SWD? I haven't followed much GBB.

Lebanon beat Wise at the beginning of the season, so no, your quest to change the playoff format continues to be your own personal white whale.

5 hours ago, Tigerman10 said:

Lebanon beat Wise at the beginning of the season, so no, your quest to change the playoff format continues to be your own personal white whale.

WTF are you babbling on about? Please show your work when claiming I'm on a quest to change the playoff format. 

I asked a question and stated I haven't followed GBB much this season, so thanks for being an asshole instead of just giving me an answer.

12 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Central’s girls aren’t very good. Probably the worst team since consolidating. I doubt they could win the SWD.

12 hours ago, BigWinners said:

I would take Ridgeview, Gate City, and Union over any team in the Southwest District. Wise would be more than capable of finishing 2nd or 3rd in the SWD. Battle and Lee would still finish towards the bottom of any district. We will find out the answers in about two weeks. 

13 hours ago, BigWinners said:

59 minutes ago, Burrell’s Pearls said:

Central’s girls aren’t very good. Probably the worst team since consolidating. I doubt they could win the SWD.

Wise Central's girls have been playing better of late until Union mopped the floor with them the other night.  I still ain't counting out a Robin Dotson led team till they're out though.  His coaching is the great equalizer in most matchups.

55 minutes ago, Widespread_Panic said:

I would take Ridgeview, Gate City, and Union over any team in the Southwest District. Wise would be more than capable of finishing 2nd or 3rd in the SWD. Battle and Lee would still finish towards the bottom of any district. We will find out the answers in about two weeks. 

I believe Battle could possibly finish around fourth in the SWD this year.  They have two huge girls on the inside that are Dee Cvetnich like... I'm not sure how experienced they are... but if they're still young, Battle could be a player in a year or two.

I think Graham’s boys beat the M7 #4. Think they also have a great shot at winning game #2. 

I am wondering how much of the “M7 is very strong this year” is actually due to being much stronger, or to GC not being as strong as in recent years. Of course Central does have their strongest team ever. 

Think the M7 girls do not lose a regional game. 

7 hours ago, Widespread_Panic said:

Thank you, that's all I was asking.