Upcoming Topics for VHSL?

falconfan1

8 minutes ago, FoxTrot said:

Anyone that played football has seen "Stars" or "Glitter".  Concussions happen, but your son would have a very good piece of "Headgear" on. Today's technology is unreal, and will be even better as he grows up.  I have heard this same sentiment from other former athletes.  Football is a great contact sport, and needs to be taught better at the youth level.  Guys like you need to step up and coach, and teach kids the proper fundamentals of "Head Placement" on tackles and proper form.  Soccer is the sport that leads in concussions.  Have fun watching him grow, and hopefully he is a football player one day. 

I don’t need to be coaching haha. I’ll leave that to those who understand the Intricacies  of the game more than I do. Lol. 

I’m sure his mother and I will re-assess when he gets to the age where he can play and see what’s going on before we make any decisions . 

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

Yep. My son isn’t even a week old yet and I’m already internally debating football. I want him to grow up and love the sport that I love — but concussions are a very real — and scary — issue. 

The greatest joys of my life have all been wrapped up in being called "dad!"  Enjoy the hell out of it.  They grow up way too fast! 

Congratulations to you, your wife and your step-child.  You all gained a blessing.  

1 hour ago, FoxTrot said:

Anyone that played football has seen "Stars" or "Glitter".  Concussions happen, but your son would have a very good piece of "Headgear" on. Today's technology is unreal, and will be even better as he grows up.  I have heard this same sentiment from other former athletes.  Football is a great contact sport, and needs to be taught better at the youth level.  Guys like you need to step up and coach, and teach kids the proper fundamentals of "Head Placement" on tackles and proper form.  Soccer is the sport that leads in concussions.  Have fun watching him grow, and hopefully he is a football player one day. 

You could have the best helmet in the world on but if you get hit hard, your brain is still going to rattle around inside the skull...that's where concussions come from...

I know this will never happen and not many will like it, but if we're  concerned with injuries, do away with the benefit games, and shorten the playoffs.  The regional playoffs could be between the top four teams: 1 vs 4; 2 vs 3; winners play for the championship.  What we have now with 1 vs 8; 2 vs 7 and so on, puts the least talented teams against the best talented teams and it sucks if a team wins 2 games in the season, ends up being the #8 and playing #1 who is undefeated.  That never did make much sense to me, but like several have said VH$L won't allow fewer playoff games, to mush money to loose. I guess I'm just an old fart that likes to see a good close game, especially in the playoffs, and not a blow out.

1 hour ago, GMan said:

You could have the best helmet in the world on but if you get hit hard, your brain is still going to rattle around inside the skull...that's where concussions come from...

Thats not my point at all, and I am not saying concussions don't happen in football.  I am saying a concussion can happen just as easy in another sport, Soccer in particular is the leading sport for concussions!

5 hours ago, FoxTrot said:

Thats not my point at all, and I am not saying concussions don't happen in football.  I am saying a concussion can happen just as easy in another sport, Soccer in particular is the leading sport for concussions!

Concussions can happen just as easily in other sports. Especially soccer. But none of those sport have the perception of danger that football has. 

We live in a world where perception is largely reality!  

On 12/12/2019 at 11:27 AM, Union_Fan said:

Difference between benefit game and jamboree as far as VHSL money goes, from the handbook.

Benefit game - After expenses, the competing schools will
each receive one-third of the net income and the remaining one-third share will be sent to
the VHSL.

Jamboree - (e) Eighty (80) percent of the net proceeds will be shared by the competing
member schools and twenty (20) percent of the net proceeds will be deposited into the
League's treasury.

Money wise, even though the VHSL is getting a larger percentage of money from a benefit game, it looks like that format gives the most money to each school.  For example: if $12K were made, that would be $4K to each school in a benefit game. For a jamboree, $9600(80%) would be split. Jamboree would have 3 team minimum. That's $3200. Four teams would be $2400.

From a competition perspective, I would have to imagine a jamboree would be better, especially if the teams run different styles of O, to best prepare for the season.

The beauty of the Haysi - Ervinton - Clintwood - Pound Jamboree was that each school took turns hosting, so over a 4 year span it was very beneficial for everyone involved. I imagine for a program like Ervinton it had to be a major fundraiser 

On 12/12/2019 at 12:21 PM, FoxTrot said:

I saw stars a lot playing football, but also riding my bike and horses.  The two hardest hits I ever took to the head were playing pickup basketball - head bounced off the floor whiplash style after falling, and I stepped into a passing lane and took a hard pass to the temple. MUCH worse than anything I took playing football, granted I wasnt out there in space running around, i was on the line lol