Championships

Hangtime

44 minutes ago, falconfan1 said:

Powell Valley no longer exists...

Graham would be the one.

Gate City = 5

Graham = 4

PV no longer exists? Holy cow, do people know? You should definitely let people know. 

The Browns didn't exist from 1996-99, but their NFL championships weren't erased from the record books. The question, I assume, is what school will eventually catch PV and become the Region D school with the most football titles. It'll happen eventually, since you just broke the news PV can't rack up any more titles (RIP), but who will it be? Can Graham win five before GC wins four? Or can someone else start a streak and come out of nowhere? 

18 hours ago, BigWinners said:

PV no longer exists? Holy cow, do people know? You should definitely let people know. 

The Browns didn't exist from 1996-99, but their NFL championships weren't erased from the record books. The question, I assume, is what school will eventually catch PV and become the Region D school with the most football titles. It'll happen eventually, since you just broke the news PV can't rack up any more titles (RIP), but who will it be? Can Graham win five before GC wins four? Or can someone else start a streak and come out of nowhere? 

I am pretty sure that I was being facetious.   Do I need to get you a dictionary?

Record book for what?  Most state championships?  That title belongs to Hampton.  If you are referring to Group A?  Riverheads will soon take that title.

3 hours ago, falconfan1 said:

I am pretty sure that I was being facetious.   Do I need to get you a dictionary?

Record book for what?  Most state championships?  That title belongs to Hampton.  If you are referring to Group A?  Riverheads will soon take that title.

Um, I stated clearly Region D. The record books keep track of what teams win a state title in any given year. Just because a school is closed doesn't mean they go back And erase any state titles they won during their years of operation. Didn't realize I would have to explain that in such detail. Being intentionally obtuse must be fun, seems like you're enjoying it. 

And Riverheads is sitting at 5, they will need four more to surpass 8. 

If it happens this week that means 2

I think that they have 6. 

2000,2006,2010, 2016,2017,2018

I also said that if anyone in Region D was able to, it would be Graham.  Now we can talk about it being A or AA.  Gate City has bounced back and forth.

Just curious, where are all of those PV state trophies housed?  Are they at Union?  Are they at Phil's house?  I know that Phil didn't win the first one, so is it at JB's house?  Powell Valley no longer exists.  

29 minutes ago, falconfan1 said:

I also said that if anyone in Region D was able to, it would be Graham.  Now we can talk about it being A or AA.  Gate City has bounced back and forth.

Just curious, where are all of those PV state trophies housed?  Are they at Union?  Are they at Phil's house?  I know that Phil didn't win the first one, so is it at JB's house?  Powell Valley no longer exists.  

I think the trophies may be in the deli at the Food City in Big Stone! LOL! I am pretty sure they are in possession of Union High School even if they are in an attic or a storage closet. 

6 hours ago, falconfan1 said:

They were at Union last I heard, both PVs and Appalachias, so there's 14 trophies laying around somewhere. 

6 hours ago, falconfan1 said:

You're right it's six, I was overlooking 2007.

On 12/12/2019 at 6:53 PM, Liam McPoyle said:

I hope I'm wrong, but I fear consolidation will doom the chances of any SW Virginia school from matching or surpassing Powell Valley's eight titles. 

I think consolidation is the best chance for this area with Riverheads on their run I mean how good would Marion and chilhowie consolidation been 2 seasons ago

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 9:38 AM, Jags52 said:

I think consolidation is the best chance for this area with Riverheads on their run I mean how good would Marion and chilhowie consolidation been 2 seasons ago

I don't believe that consolidation will happen anytime soon, that would put their numbers near or over 1,000 students.

I don't believe consolidation is always the answer.  Ask Carroll County.

Personally, I believe Class 1 should be further reduced to those schools with enrollments under 350 or so regardless of the number of schools that entails.  The remaining schools can be evenly divided into 4 more classifications.  There isn't a ton of difference between a school with 450 students and a school with 650 students.  But a school with under 300 students trying to compete with a school with 450 students is another story altogether.  Riverheads and Galax can compete against Class 2 schools.  In my humble opinion, either would have had an excellent shot at a Class 2 championship this season. 

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

I don't believe consolidation is always the answer.  Ask Carroll County.

Personally, I believe Class 1 should be further reduced to those schools with enrollments under 350 or so regardless of the number of schools that entails.  The remaining schools can be evenly divided into 4 more classifications.  There isn't a ton of difference between a school with 450 students and a school with 650 students.  But a school with under 300 students trying to compete with a school with 450 students is another story altogether.  Riverheads and Galax can compete against Class 2 schools.  In my humble opinion, either would have had an excellent shot at a Class 2 championship this season. 

Agreed all around.

A hard number definitely needs to be set for 1A, and 6 classifications is probably really unnecessary, 5 would do it.