Gate City 42, Dobyns-Bennett 40

swva_havok_fan

This, in my eyes, was a massive upset. D-B is always a top contender in District 1-AAA (basically the equivalent of VHSL 5A and 6A). Gate City was coming off a loss at the buzzer to Daniel Boone (TN) (also a District 1-AAA member with Dobyns-Bennett, but usually a third or fourth place team in that district). Gate City trailed by 25 to Boone with under 6 minutes remaining and came back to take the lead only to lose on the buzzer beater from downtown.

Last night, D-B double and triple teamed Dean and Compton and Sallee stepped up big time. That's the most packed I have ever seen the Dome and the rematch in Gate City on Saturday, January 11 is sure to sell out as their gym is much smaller than the Dome. If you're anywhere within a two hour driving distance, I highly recommend trying to make that game on January 11. A lot of emotion and tempers flared down the stretch and the eight mile distance between the two schools leads to a lot of hard feelings when they get together on the rare occasion.

But yeah, last night was one of the best high school basketball games I've witnessed. And I know that most people down this way have penciled in Wise Central as the favorite in the Mountain 7 this year, but after last night, as Lee Corso would say... Not so Fast my friend!

5 minutes ago, Widespread_Panic said:

This is a great win for Gate City but is DB supposed to be good this year? I thought they lost their best players to graduation. 

They were picked preseason third, I believe.  But they should probably finish second to Science Hill since Tennessee High has a couple of starters who think playing in their rock band is more important than basketball.  D-B beat Tennessee High Tuesday night with the two aforementioned starters out.

On 12/13/2019 at 10:39 AM, who? said:

Wise is getting better.   You see what they did to that private Christian school they played last night!!!

They beat a bunch of homeschool kids who barely win two games a year. Congratulations! The 2A Trophy is being engraved as we speak!