2019 VHSL State Championship Updates

Deleted Account

3 hours ago, sixcat said:

Just prior to halftime, Galax punted in a 7-7 game. The punt fluttered in the wind, landed and bounced directly into the midsection of a Riverheads player. The ball careened toward the Galax sideline and was recovered by Galax. The referees converged for several minutes and ultimately gave the football to Riverheads. Riverheads ultimately kicked a field goal at the end of that possession. 

The ensuing possession for Galax was the pick-6. Does the pick-6 happen had the correct call been made on the punt?  Galax should have had the football inside the Riverheads 35 yard line. It’s hard to predict what could have been but in my mind, that blown call gave Riverheads 10 points. To me, that was the depressing play. 

That in fact that Pickett crossed the line on the first try(you can see it on the film) as well as the punt that was tipped by a Galax player (you can here it and see the ball get redirected because of it) but they call roughing the punter on the play.  The kids shouldn't have to deal with incompetence by the refs. That was three huge game changing plays they missed. 

Well, HS football is officially over until next summer~it’s been fun!  Would have been more fun if Region D teams could have brought home Championships for 1A & 2A but maybe next year. Thanks for all the fun & spirited debates~ hope everyone has a blessed Christmas & Happy New Year!  I may catch some of you on the other sports’ threads but they’re not nearly as fun and engaging as this one. 

5 hours ago, sixcat said:

Just prior to halftime, Galax punted in a 7-7 game. The punt fluttered in the wind, landed and bounced directly into the midsection of a Riverheads player. The ball careened toward the Galax sideline and was recovered by Galax. The referees converged for several minutes and ultimately gave the football to Riverheads. Riverheads ultimately kicked a field goal at the end of that possession. 

The ensuing possession for Galax was the pick-6. Does the pick-6 happen had the correct call been made on the punt?  Galax should have had the football inside the Riverheads 35 yard line. It’s hard to predict what could have been but in my mind, that blown call gave Riverheads 10 points. To me, that was the depressing play. 

A SWVA team screwed by officials in a title game vs Riverheads.  Where have I seen this movie before?  FFS

5 hours ago, BBHoops_18 said:

Appomattox vs Graham was definitely the real championship in my opinion 

Hats off to Appomattox and congratulations to them on their state championship! But....I still believe graham was the best team in 2a again just let one get by em. 

9 hours ago, Optimal62 said:

That in fact that Pickett crossed the line on the first try(you can see it on the film) as well as the punt that was tipped by a Galax player (you can here it and see the ball get redirected because of it) but they call roughing the punter on the play.  The kids shouldn't have to deal with incompetence by the refs. That was three huge game changing plays they missed. 

“Santa Claus” was brutal! He made several very questionable calls and even overturned the side judge on that first down turned 2nd and 5. And everyone who knows me on this site, knows I don’t bash officiating. 

Riverheads was offsides on defense but the result of the play was a 20 yard gain by Denver Brown. Dixon refuses the penalty. Side judge and umpire began spotting the ball and chains. “Santa Claus” came in and overruled them and marked off a 5 yard penalty against Riverheads from the original spot. Resulting in 15 yards of lost field position for Galax. Dixon was livid!  

I still don’t understand that one?!?!?

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

“Santa Claus” was brutal! He made several very questionable calls and even overturned the side judge on that first down turned 2nd and 5. And everyone who knows me on this site, knows I don’t bash officiating. 

Riverheads was offsides on defense but the result of the play was a 20 yard gain by Denver Brown. Dixon refuses the penalty. Side judge and umpire began spotting the ball and chains. “Santa Claus” came in and overruled them and marked off a 5 yard penalty against Riverheads from the original spot. Resulting in 15 yards of lost field position for Galax. Dixon was livid!  

Offsides is a dead ball penalty. Play is killed. There was no play. 

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

Santa Clause? Heavy set dude with the long gray beard? And yes, I'm being serious.....

1 hour ago, Mountain Football said:

The officiating must have been pretty bad because I don't think I've ever heard the folks from Galax complain about the officials.

It was without a doubt questionable. I was there as a neutral observer just to enjoy a couple of great games and to these neutral eyes, Riverheads did get the benefit of the calls in question each and every time. The roughing the punter call on the partially blocked punt was terrible. 

Galax played with a ton of heart and should be very proud of their showing yesterday. Congrats on a great season!

1 hour ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Offsides is a dead ball penalty. Play is killed. There was no play. 

Agreed, it is supposed to be but the play was never blown dead. Therefore, the result of the play should stand. An error such as failure to blow a play dead can’t be retroactively fixed!!!!!

3 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Absolutely!

Yeah, I know who you are talking about, and him making controversial calls doesn't surprise me. Anybody know where this dude is from? Pretty sure it isn't the North Pole.  

Just now, JDHoss said:

Yeah, I know who you are talking about, and him making controversial calls doesn't surprise me. Anybody know where this dude is from? Pretty sure it isn't the North Pole.  

I overheard some talk after the game, he may be from Region A but I don’t know for sure.  

Hats off to Appo for a great season and another championship.  The Graham vs Appo was the true championship game, and I for one am glad to see our end of the state have the better teams.  I'll always pull for SWD to win it all, but maybe we need to adopt Appo for the next few years, if we have hope of another championship, as young as that team is, they will be hard to beat for the next three years.  Good job and congrats to all the Appo coaches, fans, and especially the players, very deserving IMO.