Ridgeview

cowboysnskynyrd

2 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Probably should add the last game in Clintwood history to that as well vs Patrick Henry.  Great coach who believes in being great at a few plays than being average with a diverse playbook IMO.

Didnt he turnover offensive play calls to Grant a couple of years ago too though?  

PH is another example, their Tailback Dahley got hurt in their last game of the regular season if im not mistaken and they just werent ready to spread the ball around. The issues with his offense go deeper than just believing in "being great a few plays" imo, his offense is almost completely give the Tailback the ball. Season before last for example they had 2 great tailbacks; one stud D1 prospect and one scat back who was one of the most explosive players in the region. As the season went on Adkins got the ball more and more, while they shied away from running Jet with the other guy and his carries dropped. It made them more predictable and easier to defend. Richlands just attacked Adkins while other, talented players werent touching the ball.

Yeah Grant has been the OC for a few years now, idk whether its that he holds the same philosophy as Mullins or didnt have a free hand but Grant has been much the same. The Clintwood teams that were really good had a FB that could also run the ball and 2 TEs, with that personnel Mullins was hard to stop but when they have more slot reciever/scat back types they struggle to use them effectively. 

Its easy to nit pick, I could do the same with James Colley. He would get caught up in all the possibilities and forget to just give his dude the ball. Happened a lot and cost Haysi some games, the Altavista game in '12. Bowen, a 2000 yard back had a hand full of carries. They were keying on him but hes still your guy, gotta give him the ball. Coach was on the opposite end of the spectrum from Mullins

27 minutes ago, redtiger said:

PH is another example, their Tailback Dahley got hurt in their last game of the regular season if im not mistaken and they just werent ready to spread the ball around. The issues with his offense go deeper than just believing in "being great a few plays" imo, his offense is almost completely give the Tailback the ball. Last season for example they had 2 great tailbacks; one stud D1 prospect and one scat back who was one of the most explosive players in the region. As the season went on Adkins got the ball more and more, while they shied away from running Jet with the other guy and his carries dropped. It made them more predictable and easier to defend. Richlands just attacked Adkins while other, talented players werent touching the ball.

Yeah Grant has been the OC for a few years now, idk whether its that he holds the same philosophy as Mullins or didnt have a free hand but Grant has been much the same. The Clintwood teams that were really good had a FB that could also run the ball and 2 TEs, with that personnel Mullins was hard to stop but when they have more slot reciever/scat back types they struggle to use them effectively. 

Its easy to nit pick, I could do the same with James Colley. He would get caught up in all the possibilities and forget to just give his dude the ball. Happened a lot and cost Haysi some games, the Altavista game in '12. Bowen, a 2000 yard back had a hand full of carries. They were keying on him but hes still your guy, gotta give him the ball. Coach was on the opposite end of the spectrum from Mullins

Honestly both philosophies have mart (We will work on what we do well and leave it to you to stop it, or take what the Defense gives you even if it is not what you want to be doing.

The one thing i would have liked to see RV do better this season is get the QB more involved in the running game Would like to have seen Lewis in the game with Adkins a bit more as well I think that kid may have a big season next year

20 minutes ago, Counts said:

Honestly both philosophies have mart (We will work on what we do well and leave it to you to stop it, or take what the Defense gives you even if it is not what you want to be doing.

The one thing i would have liked to see RV do better this season is get the QB more involved in the running game Would like to have seen Lewis in the game with Adkins a bit more as well I think that kid may have a big season next year

Both absolutely do, but you cant put the blinders on. You have to be more open, thats tough to do when youre invested and truly believe in a philosophy. 

Read Option would have been devastating last season. Run Adkins on Zone Dive and read the DE, or fake Dive and run QB Keeper.  Either would have made it impossible to completely sell out on stopping Adkins. Mix in a little Jet to Lewis or Hill and youve got a OFFENSE that would be tough to handle vs a Running Back thats tough to handle. 

14 minutes ago, redtiger said:

Both absolutely do, but you cant put the blinders on. You have to be more open, thats tough to do when youre invested and truly believe in a philosophy. 

Read Option would have been devastating last season. Run Adkins on Zone Dive and read the DE, or fake Dive and run QB Keeper.  Either would have made it impossible to completely sell out on stopping Adkins. Mix in a little Jet to Lewis or Hill and youve got a OFFENSE that would be tough to handle vs a Running Back thats tough to handle. 

All those kids are back next season so it could still happen......One thing I will say is that Coach Mullins is without a doubt turning over a team that is set up to be a Region D contender

IMHO the bigger issue for next season is retooling the Defense that is losing several key players and was far from solid vs the pass 

On 1/10/2020 at 11:00 PM, swva_havok_fan said:

Big money position... big time... I bet Chris Akers has already been called.  Let's go.  State champs baby.  🙂

4 hours ago, falconfan1 said:

Why don't you apply for the job since you know so much?  What a jerk.

Hard to coach real ball from behind a keyboard....

36 minutes ago, Counts said:

All those kids are back next season so it could still happen......One thing I will say is that Coach Mullins is without a doubt turning over a team that is set up to be a Region D contender

IMHO the bigger issue for next season is retooling the Defense that is losing several key players and was far from solid vs the pass 

I was shocked by how bad we were at times against the pass this year. Nowhere to go but up.

12 minutes ago, big ugly vol said:

I was shocked by how bad we were at times against the pass this year. Nowhere to go but up.

I am sure alot was due to breaking in new starters at all the DB spots but who ever runs the D next season will need to make sure that aspect of the game improves

17 hours ago, Counts said:

I am sure alot was due to breaking in new starters at all the DB spots but who ever runs the D next season will need to make sure that aspect of the game improves

a lot of it have to do with putting 7 guys in the box and playing man from 15 yards against 10 personnel. You can rack up 200 yards easy if your qb and throw a hitch or quick screen

29 minutes ago, falconfan1 said:

One that is sick and tired of assclowns like you posting crap. Little keyboard warriors write on here about a guy who no longer coaches at "GC."  Oh let me refresh you memory about the guy you are talking about had 49 points at halftime vs. Ridgeview.

So all of these guys who have cracked jokes in the past and I'm the one you target?  Whatever dude.  

15 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

So all of these guys who have cracked jokes in the past and I'm the one you target?  Whatever dude.  

your argument became invalid with the phrase "IN THE PAST"....literally had nothing to do with the coach in question....you brought this on yourself by rehashing a dead joke that literally makes you look foolish

On 1/14/2020 at 7:15 AM, sixcat said:

I was under the impression that becoming the "heir apparent" is why Tiller left Fort Chiswell to come "home?"  Is that not the case?

On 1/14/2020 at 7:48 AM, redtiger said:

This would be the first im hearing of it but Tiller would be a good choice; kids like him, hes got experience and was successful. 

I thought the same thing about him stepping into the role when he left Fort Chiswell. Especially, with this line in the Roanoke article... "It came down to if I don’t take this opportunity now I don’t know when this situation with location and job would come open again."

4 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

30 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

No, you two are being douches. Havok didn't say anything nasty but you two sure did.

Never thought I would see Chris Akers become such a divisive issue. Maybe we should start talking about train horns again. 😂

24 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Never thought I would see Chris Akers become such a divisive issue. Maybe we should start talking about train horns again. 😂

Train horns should be banned from all sporting events! Only a jackass would use a train horn to intimidate kids!

There, that should do it 

On 1/10/2020 at 11:00 PM, swva_havok_fan said:

Big money position... big time... I bet Chris Akers has already been called.  Let's go.  State champs baby.  🙂

3 hours ago, BigWinners said:

No, you two are being douches. Havok didn't say anything nasty but you two sure did.

So him taking UNNECESSARY shots at someone who has the guts to coach and not hide behind a keyboard (which I’ll go ahead and save ya the trouble I’m a coach) and someone who has moved on and done so respectfully is him being totally innocent in this whole situation and we’re douches for sticking up for a human being? Yeah okay??