Almost tournament time

UnionBears84

M7 boys and girls tournaments will be a lot of fun. Anybody think someone other than Gate City boys and Abingdon girls win tourney crowns? Boys have a variety of more capable teams in my opinion. 

Also, what is everyones thoughts on the Cumberland, SWD, Hogo, Black Diamond? 

no one can beat the GC boys,  its a done story line,  the girls on the other hand,  i think this one will be wide open,  jimmy brown proved he can't coach friday night at GC so i think ridgeview might be the sleeper team to take the tourney

My predictions for the tournament winners:

Mountain 7 District:

• Boys -- Gate City
  • Girls -- Gate City

Southwest:

• Boys -- Graham
  • Girls -- Lebanon

Cumberland:

• Boys -- Eastside
  • Girls -- Eastside

Hogoheegee:

• Boys -- Northwood
  • Girls -- PH

Black Diamond:

• Boys -- Grundy
  • Girls -- Honaker

It's all pretty much chalk from the regular season, but Northwood boys are hit and miss.  I'm thinking they'll be on the upswing come tournament time, but Holston or Chilhowie could also win it.  Southwest girls... Lebanon looked like the clear favorite but Richlands pulled the shocker on them the other night.  Any of the top 4 here could take the tournament, but Lebanon to me is still the favorite.  Mountain 7 girls... Gate City is the only team who looks as if they can play with Abingdon... but struggle with everyone else that are contenders... I pick that they beat Ridgeview in the semis of the tournament and then beat Abingdon in the finals as well.

17 hours ago, stantheman said:

my team to beat in the girls is ridgeview,  they have the best coach other than dotson and they have the talent to win it,  GC will be tough though,  i dont think central has the talent to do it

Hope you're right... It looks like Ridgeview has all but clinched that M7 number 1 seed (for the Region D tournament) after beating Gate City last night.  All they have to do is beat Battle and Lee and then they can still lose to Union and still have the 1 seed.

the biggest downfall for abingdon going into this tournament is coach brown,  he just cant coach,  should have been canned 3 years ago,  when abingdon plays together and team ball they are the best team by far but they get into the individual stuff and it brings them back to the other teams levels,  he just cant coach,  he has been lucky to have been fed the talent he has had,  coach frazier and coach dotson would have won 2 state championships with the talent abingdon has had over past 4 years

On 2/3/2020 at 9:23 AM, swva_havok_fan said:

Lebanon looked like the clear favorite but Richlands pulled the shocker on them the other night.  Any of the top 4 here could take the tournament, but Lebanon to me is still the favorite.  Mountain 7 girls... Gate City is the only team who looks as if they can play with Abingdon... but struggle with everyone else that are contenders... I pick that they beat Ridgeview in the semis of the tournament and then beat Abingdon in the finals as well.

I heard Lebanon was down a starter due to the flu, otherwise, probably wouldn’t have been a shocker win for Richlands. Heck, they only beat Graham in the last few seconds by a basket. I don’t see any SWD girls advancing past first round in regions if that even. As far as district play, I still take Lebanon provided all starters are well. Everyone talked about SWD boys being down, girls may be a bit more down than even boys. 

14 hours ago, Hokie101 said:

Where is the region tournament played at?  I know the first round is at the higher seed but do they still play the rest on a neutral court?  I can’t remember last year but I remember the one at UVA-Wise.  

Class 2D it is Mountain 7's turn to host, so all but a lock it will be at UVa-Wise.

Last year, boys was at Graham and girls was at Virginia High because it was the SWD turn.

Class 1D is at SWCC this year.

Ridgeview girls and Gate City boys will be M7 #1's in the Region D tournaments.

Lebanon girls and Graham boys will be the SWD #1's

Only top seeds are locked by regular season finish.  Rest of the seeds are determined by some cumulative point system determined by regular season finish + district tournament finish that noone seems to know.

Region 2D is always:

• M7 #1 vs. SWD #4
  • SWD #2 vs. M7 #3
  • M7 #2 vs. SWD #3
  • SWD #1 vs. M7 #4
8 hours ago, Old Round Ball said:

Does anyone have the brackets for region yet as far as which district is seeded where.  1D is at SWCC and 2D @ UVA- Wise it's all I have heard so far.

On 2/13/2020 at 10:07 AM, swva_havok_fan said:

Ridgeview girls and Gate City boys will be M7 #1's in the Region D tournaments.

Lebanon girls and Graham boys will be the SWD #1's

Only top seeds are locked by regular season finish.  Rest of the seeds are determined by some cumulative point system determined by regular season finish + district tournament finish that noone seems to know.

Region 2D is always:

• M7 #1 vs. SWD #4
  • SWD #2 vs. M7 #3
  • M7 #2 vs. SWD #3
  • SWD #1 vs. M7 #4

How about D1 regionals?