College signees

Keepitreal

Very glad to see these local young men an women advancing their education thru sports, as parents an grandparents we all know how hard they have worked an gave up to be able to do this. So each an everyone I say congrads to you an hope you do well in your sport.

Is the talent level of a D1 that much more than a D2, maybe the Big D1s are a bit faster but talent is what I am asking? I think most of these kids are so used to playing that the thought of red shirting or sitting a bench for a couple of years is more than they an stand. If they can go to D2 or D3 an see instant playing time plus a education then that is the important thing isn't it.

1 hour ago, cityofRaven said:

If he should have gone D1, why didn't he?

I was wondering the same thing, he looked good enough to be a PWO somewhere, are grades a problem? 

2 hours ago, who? said:

Especially since he should have gone d1

IMO Polier could have absolutely played at a FCS school but FBS is a stretch. Probably could have been a preferred walk on at a big time D1 school. 

He is a VERY GOOD football player. I watched him at the all star game at UVA-W, he was solid but didnt stick out and there were a couple of players there who absolutely stuck out.

Idk if he had offers from FCS schools or not. Hes definitely got the work ethic and frame to have a shot at big time ball as a upperclassman after redshirting, probably the same story if he would have went to a FCS school. Is that really a better option than going to UVA-W and starting right away?   

He went to a lot of camps, and everyone who watched Adkins saw Polier. I dont think he was missed by anyone, underestimated maybe but not missed. He doesnt have a great 40 time (4.68 is what I saw) and his measurable strength isnt great. watching the kid play football and wrestle I can tell you hes a lot stronger than what his bench is (315).

If he sticks with it he could have a fantastic career at UVA-W and get a solid education. 

All of that being said, Im definitely not a college recruiting guru and ive been wrong before. 

18 minutes ago, redtiger said:

IMO Polier could have absolutely played at a FCS school but FBS is a stretch. Probably could have been a preferred walk on at a big time D1 school. 

He is a VERY GOOD football player. I watched him at the all star game at UVA-W, he was solid but didnt stick out and there were a couple of players there who absolutely stuck out.

Idk if he had offers from FCS schools or not. Hes definitely got the work ethic and frame to have a shot at big time ball as a upperclassman after redshirting, probably the same story if he would have went to a FCS school. Is that really a better option than going to UVA-W and starting right away?   

He went to a lot of camps, and everyone who watched Adkins saw Polier. I dont think he was missed by anyone, underestimated maybe but not missed. He doesnt have a great 40 time (4.68 is what I saw) and his measurable strength isnt great. watching the kid play football and wrestle I can tell you hes a lot stronger than what his bench is (315).

If he sticks with it he could have a fantastic career at UVA-W and get a solid education. 

All of that being said, Im definitely not a college recruiting guru and ive been wrong before. 

He is very good I watched him in several games in person an on the TV a couple of times, I think I remember hearing Mason did have FBS offers. The way the transfer portal works Mason could go to a good D2, probably see instant playing time an play a couple of years then hit the portal an go to a bigger school. Also the young man may not have wanted to be not far from home for what ever reason in any case its not because he isn't good enough.

5 hours ago, Widespread_Panic said:

Probably because recruiting isn't an exact science and D1 schools miss out from time to time. Playing in SWVA against smaller schools doesn't help in getting offers. 

That may have been the case a decade ago but now with Hudl I think it's rather easy to get noticed. 

But it's still an inexact science that relies heavily on measurables over production. Adkins got major offers on his physical ability even before his fantastic 2019 season. If you don't have ideal size and speed, you're much more likely to be overlooked even if you have excellent game film whereas iffy production can be overcame with great measurables.

both Adkins and Mitchell possess exceptional size and speed. They fit the mold at the next level for their positions (Mitchell has perfect TE body whereas Adkins is a little tall but still fits the mold), as did Cam Allen and Devin Lester as DBs.

Polier doesn't have prototype size for an ILB or DE and doesn't have the speed for OLB on paper. He plays much faster and will outwork everyone but coaches are less likely to take a chance on a small or slower kid with great potential compared to a more unpolished kid with great physical attributes.