Scott County Schools

SXSW

3 hours ago, falconfan1 said:

I just have one question.  Where does the state money come from?  Virginia tax payer dollars?  So in essence, when I pay my state taxes, my locality is missing out by those funds going to a county to support out of state kids?  Yes I know that some of the funding comes from the federal government as well. Gee, it is win, win situation for all of those people who live in TN and pay no state income tax, while Virginians have their taxes increased to cover the cost.  It looks like from what I have read, it is about keeping Scott County from consolidating. 

No more calls, we have a winner!

Local elections such as school boards, board of supervisors and/or city council have a tremendous impact on our daily lives as opposed to anything that happens on a national level.  Nobody reading this thread has had an appreciable change to their existence from the Obama years to the Trump years.  Absolutely nothing of any substance changes as a result of who occupies the Oval Office.  Get more educated and involved locally and let the garbage in DC remain the three-ring circus it's become!

I'll get off my soapbox now!

7 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Local elections such as school boards, board of supervisors and/or city council have a tremendous impact on our daily lives as opposed to anything that happens on a national level.  Nobody reading this thread has had an appreciable change to their existence from the Obama years to the Trump years.  Absolutely nothing of any substance changes as a result of who occupies the Oval Office.  Get more educated and involved locally and let the garbage in DC remain the three-ring circus it's become!

I'll get off my soapbox now!

I was told by my HS government teacher that the top 3 reasons someone runs for school board are: 1.) Remove a coach      2.)Remove a principal     3.)Remove a teacher

All these years later, I have discovered that he was right. Rarely, in today's times, does someone run for school board, town council or board of supervisors because they want to genuinely help their community. There's always an agenda. Start something, stop something, change something/somebody, for a personal reason.

Sometimes, it is hard to believe the level of ignorance spewed about that I have seen involving this topic's issue as well as during the consolidation of Wise Co's schools. Truly mind blowing how small some people's minds are. Like you said get more educated...if they will accept the knowledge. Get more involved...if they can accept the challenge.

43 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I was told by my HS government teacher that the top 3 reasons someone runs for school board are: 1.) Remove a coach      2.)Remove a principal     3.)Remove a teacher

All these years later, I have discovered that he was right. Rarely, in today's times, does someone run for school board, town council or board of supervisors because they want to genuinely help their community. There's always an agenda. Start something, stop something, change something/somebody, for a personal reason.

Sometimes, it is hard to believe the level of ignorance spewed about that I have seen involving this topic's issue as well as during the consolidation of Wise Co's schools. Truly mind blowing how small some people's minds are. Like you said get more educated...if they will accept the knowledge. Get more involved...if they can accept the challenge.

It's a shame, really.  But oh, so true!

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

Thats true, but the televised school board meetings when consolidation was first broached as a topic were must see TV lol

43 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Were you always pro-consolidation? I always thought it was right idea but worried that it wouldn't be done right.

When Basham broadsided everyone with his announcement that he was closing St. Paul, Pound and Appy in 2005, I wasn't anti consolidation, but definitely knew that wasn't the way to do it.

After he was let go, talk died down until the economy turned in 2008. Thing ramped up more each year with the millions in funding cuts. At that point I was very much pro consolidation. I saw first hand that there was no way around it. Too much overhead with 5 50+ years old schools and 1 that wasn't financially sustainable with yearly losses in coal severance taxes and state/local funding.

It's kind of like buying a millionaire dollar home with a 50K yearly salary. It's just not realistic. 

I was actually one of the few people that supported the 2 school option rather than what we have now. And if things don't change soon, that's where we'll be regardless. 

12 hours ago, Grapeape said:

It seems school board members should be educators. You wouldn’t have a board of teachers overseeing a dentist’s office. When Scott Co had no school board & a competent superintendent they were one of, if not the premier school system in the region. 

I disagree to an extent.  A couple of school board member as educators, sure.  But having diversity on a school board eliminates tunnel vision and allows for an outside perspective.  It's difficult to think outside the box while isolating yourselves inside a box.  Our local school board features a lawyer, a veterinarian, a retired Naval Officer, a retired Biology teacher and an Industrial Designer.  To use your analogy, you wouldn't want 5 dentists overseeing your dental office either.  Who is managing the business?  Payroll?  Taxes?  EOE compliance?  Sustainability?  Growth?  

Experience can't be taught but is essential to growth.  Experience is something that must be earned.  Why not use the diverse experience of your community to help the next generation?  Surrounding yourself with too much of the same thing limits potential.

18 hours ago, Grapeape said:

It seems school board members should be educators. You wouldn’t have a board of teachers overseeing a dentist’s office. When Scott Co had no school board & a competent superintendent they were one of, if not the premier school system in the region. 

When did Scott not have a school board?

I disagree also about who should be members.  Its fine for retired teachers to be on there, but that narrows the view points somewhat.