Mance news

techfan

44 minutes ago, RichlandsAlum said:

My wife and I lived in Charlotte for a while right out of college and absolutely loved it.  But we had a sense that we didn't want to raise kids there (or at least within the Charlotte-Mecklenburg school district).  Ultimately after seven years we jumped at a chance to move back to Virginia -- although not back home to Richlands.  Don't really have any complaints.  In fact we're pretty happy with the way things have turned out.  But I still miss living down there and I really enjoy every opportunity I have to go back and visit for any reason. 

Furthermore, I appreciate sixcat's observation and my own view is that North Carolina has some significant advantages over Virginia.  Some of that is due to the nature of the economy as it exists.  But some of it is because the government of Virginia is backward to begin with and goes out of its way to hamstring itself.  The orange traffic barrel is a perfect metaphor for this discussion -- you'll rarely see one in Virginia because its leadership and bureaucracy rarely have the ability to even start a project (let alone get anything done).

There was some speculation about the possibility of Thad Wells succeeding Mance elsewhere on this board.  In somewhat of a coincidence, if my wife and I had stayed in the Charlotte metro area, Mooresville was one of the non-Mecklenburg options that appealed greatly to us.  Only Coach Wells knows his own heart, but the pull of kith and kin would have to be enormously powerful to outweigh the advantages he has in his current situation.  

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I have grown to respect your opinion as well. 

NC has definitely positioned themselves better than VA in recent years in virtually every aspect. Statewide growth has proven that over the past decade. VA population has stagnated at 0.4% while N.C. is growing at nearly 8.5% a year. Politics aside, VA has been its own worst enemy. 

2 hours ago, footballfanatic said:

well is running dry in richlands. he knows this and hes out. not much to recruit from the area

Stop the nonsense!!!  Richlands has Sage Webb returning, a true speedster, just a junior next year, I think.  Also,I don't remember the  name, but  the QB position  is a player around 6'4...6'5. Every year players graduate and someone has to fill open positions.   

Adults  leave work environments  ALL the time for the betterment of their family and future retirement. Mance was approached about the position becoming available in SC.  Anyone in this stage of their life who is being proactive about their future  would certainly listen to any offer broached, especially if it's a  move with more money and not a career change. Good luck Coach Mance in SC !!! 

5 hours ago, trublue said:

Stop the nonsense!!!  Richlands has Sage Webb returning, a true speedster, just a junior next year, I think.  Also,I don't remember the  name, but  the QB position  is a player around 6'4...6'5. Every year players graduate and someone has to fill open positions.   

Adults  leave work environments  ALL the time for the betterment of their family and future retirement. Mance was approached about the position becoming available in SC.  Anyone in this stage of their life who is being proactive about their future  would certainly listen to any offer broached, especially if it's a  move with more money and not a career change. Good luck Coach Mance in SC !!! 

should be a senior held back, its over man, its over! graham will be your daddy for years to come. get your popcorn ready

pretty sure that those 20 seniors graham lost to graduation  had a few holdbacks. ( over half ).    I hope Webb stays at Richlands , no matter who the coach is.   But I believe  he has ties to the bluefield staff, And after torching  them last year for about 300 all purpose yards , they may want him. 

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

Oh calm down, T.O.  This thread isn’t about Graham. 

I’m really surprised it took three day to get off topic.  The threads usually go sideways quicker than that 😂😂😂😂😂😂! What team doesn’t have hold backs these days? I guarantee most teams in SWD & M7 had some last year and will this year. Back to the thread topic: Best of luck to Coach Mance! Brilliant move if you ask me! 

On 2/13/2020 at 7:31 PM, sixcat said:

You not a fan of Dirty Myrtle?

It's OK to go visit for a couple of hours...bullet proof vest gets too hot in the summer to wear it much longer...but would prefer Cherry Grove in North Myrtle 1,000,000 to 1.  Prefer Sunset Beach 1,000,000 to 1 over Cherry Grove.  Just sayin'...

Mance should feel at home in Loris.  The Loris accent sounds much like the East Tennessee/far SWVA accent.  It's completely different from the rest of Horry Co. in my opinion.

12 minutes ago, GMan said:

Mance should feel at home in Loris.  The Loris accent sounds much like the East Tennessee/far SWVA accent.  It's completely different from the rest of Horry Co. in my opinion.

Drove through Loris a few years ago when traipsing around the area.  It pretty much is a flatter version of Richlands in many conceivable ways.

4 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Drove through Loris a few years ago when traipsing around the area.  It pretty much is a flatter version of Richlands in many conceivable ways.

Loris has a quaint little downtown full of empty buildings.  They have an IGA and a Hills Food Store, a CVS, McDonalds, Dominoes, Bojangles, a Chinese restaurant, a little airport out the road to the north of town.  Yep, sounds like a flat Richlands.  Instead of Blue/White/Silver the school colors are Duke blue and yellow.

1 hour ago, GMan said:

It's OK to go visit for a couple of hours...bullet proof vest gets too hot in the summer to wear it much longer...but would prefer Cherry Grove in North Myrtle 1,000,000 to 1.  Prefer Sunset Beach 1,000,000 to 1 over Cherry Grove.  Just sayin'...

The last time I was in Myrtle, we were watching Jim Furyk win his only major championship at a golf themed restaurant.  That should be a good indication of how long it's been sine I was in Myrtle.  It was supposed to be a buddies golf trip but a coworker invited a random guy we didn't know.  The guy was an absolute POS!  At this restaurant, the guy had way too much to drink, fell through the plate glass window in front of the restaurant and wound up in jail.  The coworker who invited him, tried to help but ended up talking himself into jail as well.  The rest of us left them down there and came home.  Haven't spoken to either of them since.  Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

I'm not much of a "beach" person and neither is my wife.  When I do go toward the beach, it's generally Edisto, Hilton Head or St. Simons. 

13 hours ago, trublue said:

Allen Gregory‏ @Greg_BHCSports 1h1 hour ago

Greg Mance of Richlands has just been approved as the new head football coach at Loris high school, according to @MyHorryNews #hcfh

great state

Thanks for the info, wish coach Mance well in his new position.  Hope he is as successful there as he has been here.  God speed to him and his family.  Some of us true blue fans will be checking up on his new program and wishing for the best.

What kind of process will be used to hire a replacement for Mance?  Will Mance or the RHS principal have any say, or will it be up to the school board?  How long does the hire process usually take?  Just seeking answers that i am not sure of, we all have heard a lot of rumors and probably will hear plenty more before this is over.  Any clarification would be appreciated.

On 2/14/2020 at 8:49 PM, Bulldogs52 said:

He’s a legend, but I could bet ya there a few Bulldog fans that will gladly help him pack!!

I would say most of the southwest district would agree with that statement...

21 hours ago, sixcat said:

I'm not much of a "beach" person and neither is my wife.  When I do go toward the beach, it's generally Edisto, Hilton Head or St. Simons. 

Im not a beach guy either, but we did go to Myrtle in December a few times. No ones there and it was pretty nice, low 70s, warm enough for me to wade in the water and actually enjoy walking around shopping and stuff. I prefer North Myrtle, Surfside or Murrells Inlet though

22 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Maybe they'll build a plethora of Subway's and Dollar General's to help Greg feel right at home.