Mance news

techfan

21 hours ago, sixcat said:

I'm not much of a "beach" person and neither is my wife.  When I do go toward the beach, it's generally Edisto, Hilton Head or St. Simons. 

Easy for me to see things from Mance's perspective because my wife and I are big "beach" people.  My folks live at Cherry Grove three months out of the year and we have gone to Holden Beach for the better part of the last decade.  If we're not on the coast at least 3-4 times a year things feel seriously out of whack for us.  Although our ultimate retirement plans depend on where our boys wind up when they're grown, we've seriously discussed buying property in Brunswick County.  (And if a job in my line of work were to open in Southport, I'd definitely apply.)

Used to be a big fan of Hilton Head, but we were there a couple of years ago and I was somewhat disappointed.  Appeared that the cycle of overbuild and then the real estate bust of the late 2000's had some significant effect there (which I hadn't really expected).

I may be in the minority, but I love Myrtle. When you have a 5 year old (and now a nearly 3 month old) the beach gets old after a little time. Our older boy plays in the ocean/beach for a few hours then wants the pool, then wants putt putt or something fun to do. We love the Pirates Voyage show. I just feel like if you have kids, it’s hard to beat Myrtle with all it offers to keep children (and adults) entertained. 

I’m happy Mance is getting a chance to prove how good he is down there. He’ll be battling with Dillon every year and I have no doubt he’ll beat them sooner than later. Go Lions!

52 minutes ago, RichlandsAlum said:

Easy for me to see things from Mance's perspective because my wife and I are big "beach" people.  My folks live at Cherry Grove three months out of the year and we have gone to Holden Beach for the better part of the last decade.  If we're not on the coast at least 3-4 times a year things feel seriously out of whack for us.  Although our ultimate retirement plans depend on where our boys wind up when they're grown, we've seriously discussed buying property in Brunswick County.  (And if a job in my line of work were to open in Southport, I'd definitely apply.)

Used to be a big fan of Hilton Head, but we were there a couple of years ago and I was somewhat disappointed.  Appeared that the cycle of overbuild and then the real estate bust of the late 2000's had some significant effect there (which I hadn't really expected).

I'm trying to get my boss to let me telecommute from Pinehurst!  You'll know if he ever goes for it because I will disappear from this and every other site.  Message boards will take too much time away from the golf course.

Sounds like he is getting exactly what he's been wanting for a long time. Not everyone gets that opportunity in life. Good luck to Coach Mance on his "2nd" career!

https://www.heraldcourier.com/sports/prep-football-richlands-greg-mance-heading-to-south-carolina/article_60ea3626-52ab-11ea-99ca-1315858d8e09.html

5 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

I may be in the minority, but I love Myrtle. When you have a 5 year old (and now a nearly 3 month old) the beach gets old after a little time. Our older boy plays in the ocean/beach for a few hours then wants the pool, then wants putt putt or something fun to do. We love the Pirates Voyage show. I just feel like if you have kids, it’s hard to beat Myrtle with all it offers to keep children (and adults) entertained. 

I’m happy Mance is getting a chance to prove how good he is down there. He’ll be battling with Dillon every year and I have no doubt he’ll beat them sooner than later. Go Lions!

I'm with you on Myrtle. Stayed in many parts. Last 2 years in Cherry Grove and going back to Sunset this year, both in N Myrtle.

Already looking at a place in the southern tip towards Surfside for next year.

Been to Va Beach, Hilton Head and the Gulf in Florida. Always go back to Myrtle.

11 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

I'm with you on Myrtle. Stayed in many parts. Last 2 years in Cherry Grove and going back to Sunset this year, both in N Myrtle.

Sunset is not in North Myrtle.  Sunset Beach is in NC, just up the road from Calabash.

3 minutes ago, GMan said:

Sunset is not in North Myrtle.  Sunset Beach is in NC, just up the road from Calabash.

I'm talking about the Crescent/Windy Hill area of N. Mytle. The reservation I had 3 years ago referred to it as Sunset beach. Just assumed that's what it was called. 

Haven't stayed at any beaches in NC, so not familiar with the names/areas.

Everyone that I know that has stayed in NC always make comments like secluded, peaceful, quiet, away from everything. I don't want crazy like Daytona on spring break,  but I don't want grave yard or the boonies either.

Guess I'll stick to Dirty Myrtle. Haha

53 minutes ago, local_insight said:

Thad Wells was officially offered the Richlands coaching position. VIA Richlands high employee.

Get the checkbook out boosters its going to cost big $$$$$ to land this one,if that possible why not just pay MANCE to stay??

Sometimes the money is not everything.  I was away from this area after college for about seven years and always had the yearning to be back home.  Moved back and took a rather large cut in yearly salary, but haven't given it the second thought.  Thad and his wife just may want to come back to family.  I'm sure his children would like to see more of grandparents.  IMO he would be a good hire, but in the end, if he's been offered, then it's a tough decision, but one that only him and his family can make.

9 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

Get the checkbook out boosters its going to cost big $$$$$ to land this one,if that possible why not just pay MANCE to stay??

I don’t think Richlands has that kind of $$$$$ floating around like in the past.  It’s going to be a huge pay cut if Wells comes and from what another member posted, giving up state of the art facilities. Money isn’t everything but it’s a lot, lol! Family is too though. I’d say he’s going to have to decide pretty quickly. You know the folks in NC have heard same rumors we have. 

On 2/17/2020 at 4:08 PM, GMan said:

It's OK to go visit for a couple of hours...bullet proof vest gets too hot in the summer to wear it much longer...but would prefer Cherry Grove in North Myrtle 1,000,000 to 1.  Prefer Sunset Beach 1,000,000 to 1 over Cherry Grove.  Just sayin'...

We love our condo at Sea Cabin in Cherry Grove...best pier on the grand strand IMHO.

11 hours ago, Bearcat Bob said:

We love our condo at Sea Cabin in Cherry Grove...best pier on the grand strand IMHO.

Dang, you are all the way at the end of Cherry Grove.  Walked up that way many, many times on the beach with my wife and dog.  When we stayed in Cherry Grove, we rented a house on N. Ocean Blvd. between 47th and 48th Streets.  Remember the condos that burnt down during the hurricane a few years ago...just a couple of house back toward Sea Mountain Highway from there.  Really like that are but my wife says it floods too much with higher tides.  We've been up at Sunset for the past several years.  Really like it up there....far enough away from all the hubbub of the Grand Strand but close enough we can get there in a short amount of time.

11 hours ago, Bearcat Bob said:

Always wanted to fish that pier but never made it up there.  We stay in Surfside and fish in the campground, surf fish or now go to HBSP and walk to the Murrells Inlet jetties and fish.  Long hike but generally a good way to get bites.

40 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

Always wanted to fish that pier but never made it up there.  We stay in Surfside and fish in the campground, surf fish or now go to HBSP and walk to the Murrells Inlet jetties and fish.  Long hike but generally a good way to get bites.

I caught my first shark at Cherry Grove pier when I stayed at the Prince Resort that connected to the pier. 

That was always my favorite area to stay until we started staying in Garden City Beach. It’s a lot more laid back and less crowded there as there’s no real high rise hotels. We park the car and take a golf cart between Garden City and Surfside to any restaurant and attraction we want to go to. Or take a boat taxi down to the Marshwalk in Murrells Inlet. It’s far enough away to not be busy but close enough that if you want to drive into Myrtle you’re only 20 mins away. 

if you’re ever in the Grand Strand area for July 4th the southern area is the best. Murrells Inlet has their boat parade in the morning, Garden City has the Golf Cart parade (which is one of the most fun things I’ve ever went to) in the middle of the day & Surfside has a big evening celebration with bands and fireworks on the beach. To each their own, but the far south Grand Strand area is my favorite. 

1 hour ago, 1inStripes said:

We rented a house in Surfside last year and rented a golf cart for the week. One of the most relaxing weeks that I've ever had. Myrtle's too hectic for my tastes, especially with a 5 year old. It's also very dangerous these days.