Mance news

techfan

1 hour ago, EH31 said:

Great job on this Brady.  Good to show all the history and the fact that coach Mance made such an impact on our area.  The next HC will have some gigantic shoes to fill.  Mance will forever be remembered as the coach that brought "Friday Night Lights" to Richlands.  GO BLUES!!!

13 hours ago, Westisthebest said:

Could this be the end of the spread at Richlands?

That will depend if the person is entirely new to Richlands program or not???? I read somewhere this week that the Blue Tornado offense is what set it apart from other teams in SWVA. I’m not saying offense wasn’t a big part of the past two plus decades but Richlands was truly more renowned for their defensive prowess in my opinion. Back in the day, when you thought Richlands, the strong defense came to mind first. Back to the original question, If one of the current assistants get the nod, I’m saying they stick with what they know but I could be wrong...Won’t be first or last time 

7 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

That will depend if the person is entirely new to Richlands program or not???? I read somewhere this week that the Blue Tornado offense is what set it apart from other teams in SWVA. I’m not saying offense wasn’t a big part of the past two plus decades but Richlands was truly more renowned for their defensive prowess in my opinion. Back in the day, when you thought Richlands, the strong defense came to mind first. Back to the original question, If one of the current assistants get the nod, I’m saying they stick with what they know but I could be wrong...Won’t be first or last time 

I agree with the defense being strong.  If I remember correctly the last play of the 2006 championship was a Blues interception, not a TD pass.  The old saying defense wins championships held true that day.  That truly was a game to remember.  I think the spread will be in action for a couple more years, can't see that changing right away, but with a new coach with another system, things might change.

Awesome read and story Brady, thank you.  This is bittersweet for me because of personal connections.  Sitting in the stands, seeing the Blues come out for warmups, Coach Mance with his visor on during warm weather.  Can remember a game with Falcons, I believe 2006, it was a monsoon that night.  Sheltered up near the press box, but still was soaked by end of game.  Remembering the game with Bulldogs for region title in 2008, so cold, but so exciting.  Came away with a "W" next to the lighting R.  Close, but a win none-the-less.  Remembering 2006, Austin's scamper on a 4th and 19th in the championship game.  The INT he picked to end the game and seal the championship!!!  Was so nervous that 4th qtr had to get up from bleachers and go stand at the top, praying all the while.  The 2010 championship game with Poquoson that should have been a win for the Blues.  Zebras had other plans.  Coach Mance always so gracious to the opposing teams and coaches.  They say behind every good man "there is a good woman", well, Ann is surely that.  She worked countless hours along side and behind the scenes,  helping make the program the success it became.  An era has ended, but memories, what memories.  Knowing Coach Mance's work ethic, I expect good things for the Loris Lions.  

Blessings to you Coach Mance and Ann

3 hours ago, EH31 said:

I caught my first shark at Cherry Grove pier when I stayed at the Prince Resort that connected to the pier. 

That was always my favorite area to stay until we started staying in Garden City Beach. It’s a lot more laid back and less crowded there as there’s no real high rise hotels. We park the car and take a golf cart between Garden City and Surfside to any restaurant and attraction we want to go to. Or take a boat taxi down to the Marshwalk in Murrells Inlet. It’s far enough away to not be busy but close enough that if you want to drive into Myrtle you’re only 20 mins away. 

if you’re ever in the Grand Strand area for July 4th the southern area is the best. Murrells Inlet has their boat parade in the morning, Garden City has the Golf Cart parade (which is one of the most fun things I’ve ever went to) in the middle of the day & Surfside has a big evening celebration with bands and fireworks on the beach. To each their own, but the far south Grand Strand area is my favorite. 

I plan on going to the boat parade this year.  Its been on my list for a while.  We have camped for years at Pirateland but this fall the inlaws purchased a villa in Pirateland so Ive been going down some weekends and working on it.  Debating on making the golf cart that came with it legal for the roads in the area.  Currently can only use it in the campground.  This has created the opportunity for multiple River City Cafe trips thankfully.  About the only thing I venture into MB for is to eat at Dirty Don's.  Now time to keep checking off all the places in Murrell's Inlet. Russell's Seafood Grill is next on the list to check off.  Kind of an older looking place but gets a good review on Yelp without the prices of Drunken Jacks and etc.  Creek Ratz is one of my Marshwalk favorites.

58 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

I plan on going to the boat parade this year.  Its been on my list for a while.  We have camped for years at Pirateland but this fall the inlaws purchased a villa in Pirateland so Ive been going down some weekends and working on it.  Debating on making the golf cart that came with it legal for the roads in the area.  Currently can only use it in the campground.  This has created the opportunity for multiple River City Cafe trips thankfully.  About the only thing I venture into MB for is to eat at Dirty Don's.  Now time to keep checking off all the places in Murrell's Inlet. Russell's Seafood Grill is next on the list to check off.  Kind of an older looking place but gets a good review on Yelp without the prices of Drunken Jacks and etc.  Creek Ratz is one of my Marshwalk favorites.

Grilled Cheese & Crab Cake factory in Garden City is a spot to try. Normally eat there two or three times during a week’s vacation. 

39 minutes ago, #1BLUESFAN said:

If we can't land Thad then I'd like to see Dixon from Galax he is a great coach....but if there not interested then offer it to the old defensive coordinator that's at graham now..i think he would do a great job.

Dennis Palmer would probably be a good fit, no doubt, but he left Richlands for a reason.  I don't know what the reason was, but he's doing pretty good at Graham, so I doubt if he would return.  

37 minutes ago, Blue 72 said:

Dennis Palmer would probably be a good fit, no doubt, but he left Richlands for a reason.  I don't know what the reason was, but he's doing pretty good at Graham, so I doubt if he would return.  

I don't think he's interested from what another assistant at Graham told me but I heard a couple of the assistants currently on Blue Tornado staff were applying. Not sure which ones though. 

1 hour ago, BlueDevil4Life2008 said:

Great article!  Have a question out of curiosity.  Asking for a friend.   With all the news about people taking new jobs etc.,  are there any rules about people coaching in one county in Virginia while teaching in another? Any info you can help me with is helpful.  

I am almost completely sure that the coach at Madison County taught at Orange County last year. He lasted one year and has already resigned.

5 hours ago, Blue 72 said:

I agree with the defense being strong.  If I remember correctly the last play of the 2006 championship was a Blues interception, not a TD pass.  The old saying defense wins championships held true that day.  That truly was a game to remember.  I think the spread will be in action for a couple more years, can't see that changing right away, but with a new coach with another system, things might change.

If the old saying holds true then I guess ole Snake deserves partial credit for all those championships at least from Vaught era through 2015, lol. It will an interesting few weeks waiting to see who takes the helm. I think Mance got out at a good time & he'll do well for the Loris program. As I stated previously, you can only improve on a 1-9 record. The real hard job will be for the new head coach at Richlands. The last two seasons haven't been that great compared to past years but still want to have a decent showing as a first year head coach. If Webb leaves, that may be a really tough task.  I say Webb stays out though. He's a tremendous talent. 

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

If the old saying holds true then I guess ole Snake deserves partial credit for all those championships at least from Vaught era through 2015, lol. It will an interesting few weeks waiting to see who takes the helm. I think Mance got out at a good time & he'll do well for the Loris program. As I stated previously, you can only improve on a 1-9 record. The real hard job will be for the new head coach at Richlands. The last two seasons haven't been that great compared to past years but still want to have a decent showing as a first year head coach. If Webb leaves, that may be a really tough task.  I say Webb stays out though. He's a tremendous talent. 

Fortunately, they open against GC 😂

I think the spread stays for a couple more years. Cox has potential to be a really good qb . If someone Lands the job , that can continue developing him and just a couple of receivers , the blues can compete for  1st in the SWD the next 2 years. They have a couple of really good lineman, a tough RB  and a few corners that will be really good.  They need linebacker help and another receiver.  All of this is possible,  if Webb stays.  I’m hearing  though , he very well may not be.  

11 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I think history shows that all the assistants should receive credit along with Mance, and he has spoken highly of them every year.  Never did hear Mance say the success the Blues had was all because of him.  Snake was a great defensive coach as Graham can attest to, and when he left Richlands, it changed the defense and really showed.

14 hours ago, Westisthebest said:

Is it true about Mike Compton or just a rumor? I thought Dennis was let go. Also heard Davis might get it.

Rumors are probably flying around like TVs off the shelves on Black Friday. I heard Wells was interested too. I believe Snake was let go by Mance and you could ask him if Ronnie Davis is interested. They're brothers. Davis is already HC of girls' softball. That's a lot to take on, HC of two varsity programs but I guess others do it at other places. The seasons are different technically  but really football is year round anymore with the off-season weightlifting, 7 on 7s in June, etc. I'd say we'll know shortly. Is there a set number of days positions have to be posted? 

22 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I agree with you there. What has made Richlands so hard to beat over the years the the elite level of defense they play. Mance was very good at taking away your best player or play and making you win with option number 2. Just about everyone is the area has gone to at least some version of the spread because its all a numbers game and it gives you a chance to win in places if you have lesser athletes and a qb that can distribute the ball and run a little. I would say any coach under the age of 40 is going to run some sort of spread concept. Richlands is going to run what ever the new coach knows and what ever fits the players they have. If the Webb kid is there in the spring leaving him solo while you try to run the power I or split back veer would be the biggest waste of talent I have ever seen. 

I agree with you.  The new coach will probably have some sort of an offensive system that they want to bring in. In my opinion the spread has to have a few players that can catch / run out of backfield and receivers that can win 1on 1 matchups.  The spread had helped Richlands win  over the years and Mance was masterful at second half mis matches . Talent isn’t as great anymore.  I wouldn’t want to see Webb regulated to A power  or single back set either.   Richlands has used him correctly; he needs  some skill players to help out. I’m hoping he stays. I might be wishful thinking but I think if cox , and Steele have great off seasons and Webb stays, it could be pretty good the next few years.  Who will ultimately decide on the new coach ?